[FEEDBACK] 6.00 betas - Use of module rotation circles in station builder

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Halpog
x4

[FEEDBACK] 6.00 betas - Use of module rotation circles in station builder

Post by Halpog » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 09:35

since the start of beta for version 6 we have circles arround the modules in the station builder
to rotate modules.
this circles are .. annoing as **** ( sorry but its true ) . its a nice idea. but it also is not a good solution the problem is :
when we dont not zoomin totaly to highlight the module itself we always mark a circle and rotate and cannot move the module.

the autosnapping of modules is annoing also ....when we reach a certain degree in the rotation , sometimes modules get snapped automaticly at the next free snap point.
mostly it snaps to places between other modules, and we have to remove /move othrmodules again to have acces to the autosnapped module ...

it would be much better to get rid of the whole circles. and instead give us in the editor keybord layout to rotate and turn modules. and still let us do the same work with mouse like beofre beta 6.

for example .. wasd is turning the modules
q e rotating them .....

we also could need an option to disable the undocking area of ship building or docking modules ( the brown ones i mean ) because they always are in sight , and we have to zoom under them, far away from them or what ever to place modules.

it would also be verry nice to have a new, and rebuilded ( repaired ) player HQ after all this time. so we have a propper circle with the player HQ in the station builder.( but thats just a wish i know :P )

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: question regarding station builder

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 09:50

Suggestions do not belong in this forum and anyway please keep to one topic per thread here. The only reason I am leaving this here is because of the feedback on the new rotation circles and I have amended the thread title accordingly.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Halpog
x4

Re: question regarding station builder

Post by Halpog » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 10:00

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 26. Mar 23, 09:50
Suggestions do not belong in this forum and anyway please keep to one topic per thread here. The only reason I am leaving this here is because of the feedback on the new rotation circles and I have amended the thread title accordingly.
than kyour for doing so :)

Radamanthe Nemes
x4

Re: [FEEDBACK] 6.00 betas - Use of module rotation circles in station builder

Post by Radamanthe Nemes » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 10:43

Gizmos (that's how these 3D controls are called in 3D CAD softwares) have always been somewhat intrusive. However, they're handy tools.

There are better things to do to cope with that than to remove gizmos entirely:
  • put them somewhere else in the UI instead of on the selected object.
  • add an option to disable them in the editor settings menu.

Katorone
x3tc

Post by Katorone » Mon, 27. Mar 23, 00:29

Radamanthe Nemes wrote:
Sun, 26. Mar 23, 10:43
  • put them somewhere else in the UI instead of on the selected object.
  • add an option to disable them in the editor settings menu.
Or allow ctrl/alt keys modify the behavior. Shift is used for rotation step, Ctrl could be used to disable the gizmos and Alt could disable snapping.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Mon, 27. Mar 23, 02:28

I find them a lot more useful than the old system of rotating the screen personally. However they are mostly good for fine tuning, and I still drag things around normally too before or after I rotate them how I want. At a distance it can sometimes get hard to click on the module normally to drag it without hitting these handles, so a 'hide' key might be something I would use occasionally.
***modified***

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 27. Mar 23, 04:28

Holding ctrl while moving modules disables the auto snapping behavior.

sokoul
x4

Post by sokoul » Mon, 27. Mar 23, 14:04

Please
Remove the highlight of the roid on PHQ
The text of the rotation need a mask behind and or a change of position
The text of rotation is too small
For me the color of the text is not good really difficult to see on the middle of others circles + the module highlight
Why the rotation angle doesn't match with the option on the same menu for definition of the angle minimal adjustment ?
Options for using the keyboard could be interesting

thanks

Xkuka
x4

Post by Xkuka » Mon, 27. Mar 23, 18:19

Here are my two cents.

In general i like the addition to the UI.
But the rotation thingies are often in the way when i want to drag the modules. I have some ideas, but since a mod said we should limit ourself to feedback, i`ll let you know the way it is, its not that good. :mrgreen:
I also have trouble seeing the rotation angle.
***Never not modified***
Specs: I9 9900k, 32GB DDR4, ASUS RTX2060 12GB, Sys drive: 1TB Nvme SSD, Games drive: 1TB Nvme SSD, Win10 pro 21H2

Terrana
x4

Post by Terrana » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 11:18

General agreement with the above. I like the new controls a lot, but I also find they make it hard to click through to the object for unconstrained click-drag movement when I want to do that. I have reduced hand mobility and fiddly pixel hunts like this are physically painful.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 14:24

I have not had much problem with these rotation circles, the auto snapping to other modules as you rotate them seems to be able to snap to anywhere on the station at a long distance, which is a bit annoying, but I just move the module really out of the way before re-attempting to rotate them which generally works.

Sometimes I select the module wrong, and instead of being able to freely move the module around I end up only being able to move the module up or down, but shifting position of my camera view to get a better selection of the module usually helps with that problem.

I really appreciate how useful these rotation circles are though, its a lot better than what we used to do, and I especially like that we can see the numerical angle of degree for some precise positioning before we attach the module as desired.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Radamanthe Nemes
x4

Post by Radamanthe Nemes » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 14:42

alt3rn1ty wrote:
Tue, 28. Mar 23, 14:24
the auto snapping to other modules as you rotate them seems to be able to snap to anywhere on the station at a long distance, which is a bit annoying, but I just move the module really out of the way before re-attempting to rotate them which generally works.
Pressing CTRL when moving/rotating disables autosnap.
Sometimes I select the module wrong, and instead of being able to freely move the module around I end up only being able to move the module up or down, but shifting position of my camera view to get a better selection of the module usually helps with that problem.
The tricks here is to make sure none of the gizmos is triggered (highlighted) when clicking the mouse to move the object. The highlight is barely noticeable sometimes, I guess something else is missing here: a different mouse cursor when gizmos are triggered. Currently, it's always the same.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 15:34

Radamanthe Nemes wrote:
Tue, 28. Mar 23, 14:42
alt3rn1ty wrote:
Tue, 28. Mar 23, 14:24
the auto snapping to other modules as you rotate them seems to be able to snap to anywhere on the station at a long distance, which is a bit annoying, but I just move the module really out of the way before re-attempting to rotate them which generally works.
Pressing CTRL when moving/rotating disables autosnap.
The tricks here is to make sure none of the gizmos is triggered (highlighted) when clicking the mouse to move the object. The highlight is barely noticeable sometimes, I guess something else is missing here: a different mouse cursor when gizmos are triggered. Currently, it's always the same.
Good tips, I didnt know those so thank you. Good suggestion for the Devs and selection highlight indication.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”