[6.0 Beta 1] Average FPS reduces badly over time.

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

alt3rn1ty
x4

Re: [6.0 Beta 1] Average FPS reduces badly over time.

Post by alt3rn1ty » Fri, 27. Jan 23, 19:49

alt3rn1ty wrote:
Wed, 25. Jan 23, 01:50
ManuelEgosoft wrote:
Tue, 24. Jan 23, 11:32
I tried to reproduce your issue with our current codebase. But even overnight, I could not observe anything wrong. Therefore, I would like to ask you to test it yourself again, when we release our next beta.
Will do :thumb_up:
Well I started testing again last night .. When I got home from work this afternoon the game had CTD and left behind a debug file.
Anyway no doubt you guys got the debug file, so will try again tonight and hopefully get home before any more CTDs tomorrow.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 27. Jan 23, 20:23

alt3rn1ty wrote:
Fri, 27. Jan 23, 19:49
Anyway no doubt you guys got the debug file, so will try again tonight and hopefully get home before any more CTDs tomorrow.
We can't necessarily link a specific crashdump to a specific crash, so it would be helpful if you could upload it somewhere and link it here.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Sat, 28. Jan 23, 11:59

ManuelEgosoft wrote:
Tue, 24. Jan 23, 11:32
I tried to reproduce your issue with our current codebase. But even overnight, I could not observe anything wrong. Therefore, I would like to ask you to test it yourself again, when we release our next beta.
Ok thankfully no more crashes during this test last night ..

.. Yes I can still reproduce the problem with 6.0 beta 2

I went down to circa 23 FPS this session after 12 hours. I then took the ship for a fly through a few more quiet sectors to see if the FPS would come back to its normal cap of 60, but the game will not dynamically recover from its low FPS, I could get it up to 27 FPS at one point but then in the next sector it went down again where there is not much traffic nor stations.

Compaired with pre-6.0 versions of the game this behaviour is unusual for my machine. We all know that sitting on a station which is complex, in a sector which is busy, and then also having the map open in this game is an FPS killer, so by avoiding those conditions in combination we can have a reasonable frame rate. But personally I like to be at the very least 30FPS or above, and after a period of time thats just not achevable in the 6.0 betas so far.

Sorry guys but the current state of the game (on my laptop spec anyway) is a bad backward step in terms of performance.

---------------------

Probably not related to this issue, but here is the dump CBJ suggested I ought to upload ..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qz4wm3erpstx ... 0.dmp?dl=0
.. I think this is as reported elsewhere more to do with 6.0 Beta 2
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

Seeker of Sohnen.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Thu, 9. Feb 23, 12:47

Still trying to repro this but 6.0 Beta 2 is CTD'ing so much I cant get beyond 4 hours.

Here are another 5 bug dump files resulting from further attempts https://www.dropbox.com/s/6mxoir0vwp2fp ... x5.7z?dl=0

I cant be sure just now because of the CTD's, but when I can get to about 4 hours, the FPS does not seem to have dropped as much as it did in the OP at around the same time period :
Reason I think is because I have now turned shadows off again

Anyway going to hold off wasting time testing with beta 2, and try again with beta 3 when its released and if the CTDs have been resolved.

Seeker of Sohnen.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Thu, 9. Feb 23, 16:44

I'm having similar problems with frame rates after several hours of gameplay, to the point it freezes and I have to Task Manager Quit the game.
Also I'm Terrarforming a planet and I saw all the drones clump together into a ratating ball of Drones inside the Wharf.. Again, once you restart the game? The problem goes away.

Almost forgot what a crash looks like in X4 :lol:
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Fri, 10. Feb 23, 13:45

Now running 6.0 Beta 3, thankfully there are no more CTDs
Last night I setup a test as per the OP, and ran it for 12 hours
Using in-game FPS counter (bottom right of screen)
Start https://i.imgur.com/oBPY7jJ.png
Finish https://i.imgur.com/0v1ZwGG.png

= I can no longer repro the issue.

There is one difference between this test and the OP, I have gone back to my old configuration of not using shadows (disabled) .. But I dont think it was that causing the problem, I feel it may have been just a case of my old advanced saves settling down with the new game engine (unless there was coincidently something fixed in beta 2 and / or beta 3 which has helped the situation).

imho case can be closed, unless anyone else still has ongoing issues and can provide a good test case that can repro the issue with a save and a good 12 hour test.

Seeker of Sohnen.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 10. Feb 23, 17:48

This is a difficult issue to demonstrate with a save, since loading the game resolves the issue, but sometimes the fps is fine, then all of a sudden the fps crashes to 1-4 fps for no apparent reason. Last time it happened to me, I was entering the filthy private apartment of the lady who is doing Xenon research missions. She was on a Teladi station. I'll see when I get home from work if I can reproduce the issue.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Sat, 11. Feb 23, 00:14

Falcrack wrote:
Fri, 10. Feb 23, 17:48
This is a difficult issue to demonstrate with a save, since loading the game resolves the issue, but sometimes the fps is fine, then all of a sudden the fps crashes to 1-4 fps for no apparent reason. Last time it happened to me, I was entering the filthy private apartment of the lady who is doing Xenon research missions. She was on a Teladi station. I'll see when I get home from work if I can reproduce the issue.
The last time I had such an extreme fps drop it was a weird Windows paging issue. Basically, despite there being ample RAM (I have 32GB total), the X4.exe task started heavily hitting the page file once around 8GB was in use by the game. While it's normal for not recently accessed memory locations to be paged, it's not normal for stuff that's actually needed for the current scene to be paged out, requiring the game (Windows) to access the page file. For me, the issue was readily recreated from a save (unusual) and with this recreation case I was able to do some testing. Loading the save normally, I got the issue right away. However, if I disabled my page file (just as a test you understand) the issue was gone, perfectly smooth fps upon loading the same save. Enabling the page file again, the issue was back.

As having a Page file is, these days, essential for some things to work properly (Windows 10 takes an age to shut down without a page file for example) I did two further tests. First was with a normal page file, but forcing the game's priority to "High". While this isn't magic in terms of performance usually, it does cause the game to use more RAM = less Page file use. This solution pretty much solved the issue entirely. The second thing I did, combined with the first, was to set my Page file to the minimum value - which is 256MB IIRC - and these two tweaks combined meant I've not seen a crazy slide-show level slow-down since. I still get fps drops in large battles, but fps is still evenly paced, just lower, none of the epic lagging fps I had seen. This is not specific to the Beta, but just a general observation of when my fps was the worst it'd ever been in X4.

Not saying this is definitely your issue Falcrack, however, my example above is the only time I've seen such an extreme fps drop as 1 - 4 fps. Usually when things are busy, I'll drop from my usual (limited) 60fps, into the 30's. As mentioned, sometimes it can clearly be seen that one thread is fully loading one core, classic CPU limitation, other times both CPU and GPU usage appear to drop, alongside the fps drop. Not sure what's going on in those situations as it's always resolved by a save / reload. I tend to blame such as this on the "long session weirdness" phenomena.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Sun, 12. Feb 23, 00:16

After Beta 3? I just had another Game Freeze, it's taken longer than it did with Beta 2, but it's still there.
I'm going to try Scoobs method.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Sun, 12. Feb 23, 14:50

spankahontis wrote:
Sun, 12. Feb 23, 00:16
After Beta 3? I just had another Game Freeze, it's taken longer than it did with Beta 2, but it's still there.
I'm going to try Scoobs method.
I'd be interested to hear how you got on. It made a huge difference for me in a modified late-game 5.10 HF3 save with rather a lot going on - that was when I original got the issues. I now always launch the game with High Priority, and my Pagefile remains set to 256MB, and I've not seen such a massive performance drop (in 5.10 HF3 or the current 6.0 Betas) since. Large fights still see an fps drop, sure, which isn't ideal, however those drops to a consistent 30fps I can live with (can't dogfight though) whereas the short freezes (when the Pagefile was being hammered) to under 1fps I could not.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Sun, 12. Feb 23, 15:37

My game died on me, changing the priority doesn't work for me Scoob.
I think the Beta has corrupted my save game :(
Cause I load up and shortly after, it freezes on me.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Tue, 21. Feb 23, 14:02

Just a little FYI for anyone still having this problem.

I had another issue causing crashes if I ran the game for a long time, and I had a bit of a dip in average FPS over time but it was only circa 5-10 FPS (ie nothing like I experienced in the OP and I felt that was kind of normal for this game).

Alan Phipps noticed I had out of date Intel GPU drivers and suggested an update (he was right, I keep on top of my NVidia and all other system drivers, but had not noticed this was missed) ..

.. Long story short, if you have Intel GPU aswell as discrete drivers, try updating them. Doing a similar run of the game (as in the OP of this topic) for 22 hours my FPS hasn't reduced at all.

Seeker of Sohnen.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”