[#537][6.0 Beta 1] Issues using Container Magnet

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

ZeroAffex
x4

[#537][6.0 Beta 1] Issues using Container Magnet

Post by ZeroAffex » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 05:25

Just thought I'd report while I am here that I've had issues with picking up loot/containers with using the Container Magnet (O key) mainly on my S/M sized ships.

In short: Picking up loot with S/M ships is very hard because more often than not, loot flies past the ship as it's coming towards it. L ships seem to be relatively okay, maybe slightly better than before.

It seems to be working mostly fine with my L ships with the exception they might get stuck on the edge of it sometimes. In fact, it might even be working better with my L ships than before 6.0. At least I've noticed picking up laser towers with my Behemoth Vanguard has been far more effective as before as the laser towers would bounce off the ship soaring off into the void sometimes rather than soaring into my hold haha. They aren't bouncing off the ship like they used to so that's good. They'll sometimes get stuck right in front of the ship but if I let off the O key and then press it again, sometimes repeating it several times the loot eventually slides in :D

But.. When I am piloting my main ship which is an S size (Moreya), I've been having a very hard time picking up loot. Containers and whatnot come towards me then go right over or behind rather than being sucked inside. It happens every time I try to pick up loot with my S ship. I tried it with a M transport ship and same thing but it is slightly better than my S ship for sure.

I am not sure if where the magnet is located on the ship has moved or has been adjusted or maybe if the new physics are to blame but either way, I thought I'd report it while I am here and it's still fresh in my mind :) It's not the end of the world and with some patience, I can still pick up stuff with an S ship but boy is it daunting now where before it was relatively easy. That's all. Thank you and have a great weekend!
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. -Frank Herbert

rudi_pioneer
x4

Re: [6.0 Beta 1] Issues using Container Magnet

Post by rudi_pioneer » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 09:36

About every 5th container flies by my S ship (lux in this case) and whether I’m holding O constantly or occasionally ship is not picking it up. (It’s container my ship should be able to get, not ware container) I didn’t think much of it until I saw this post and realized same happened for me. I’ll post a save next time it happens.

Old Drullo321
x4

Post by Old Drullo321 » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 10:19

I can confirm this issues and provide a screenshot plus savegame. Pressing container magnet (O) just let the containers fly arround the center of the ship but does not collect them. Moving arround doesn't seem to help

Screenshot: Image

Savegame (ToA start, player Kyd just right in front of containers): https://drive.google.com/file/d/16_gWjq ... sp=sharing

Old Drullo321
x4

Post by Old Drullo321 » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 10:23

Sorry for double post.

Just want to say that trying to loot those containers with spacesuit magnet worked without any issues (compared to the S class Kyd)

Bravari
x4

[BUG] Report - Container Magnet

Post by Bravari » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 13:47

First off, excellent update. I am running 6.0 Beta with no mods and I loaded a saved game from 5.10 that also was a clean playthrough with no mods.

During my testing, I have been fighting in Tharkas Cascade for the Yaki Quest and have attempted to magnet dropped wares and loot from destroyed ships unsuccessfully. From an exterior view, the items simply circle the ship and bounce off. I am flying a XL Asgard and I have also had the same problem in L class Syn.

Incinerator
x4

Re: [BUG] Report - Container Magnet

Post by Incinerator » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 14:03

I'm in a Kestrel and the containers just clip through the ship even the through the cockpit, tried the following ramming the container, standing still in space and just using loot magnet. A workaround is to stand up, let the AI take over then you right click on each of the container on the map and have the AI collect it, then talk to the AI and have it hand over the inventory. So it happens on smaller ships too, and not only XL, L ships.

Bravari
x4

Re: [#537][6.0 Beta 1] Issues using Container Magnet

Post by Bravari » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 14:41

Update: Today, the magnet is working. Not sure if there was a hotfix or if being in Tharkas Cascade was the problem. I moved on to Savage Spur today and it is working as intended.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 14:41

Please try and read if your issue has been reported already, at least for the posts in the first page, thank you.

Merged with existing report

MFG

Ketraar

Old Drullo321
x4

Post by Old Drullo321 » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 03:42

Just wanted to extend my observation.

It happens on other ships too, like the Katana, but in that case it sometimes work and sometimes it won't. It seems that a reload / fresh start of the game helps (as on other bug reports like visible ships outside radar too).

Some factor / variable seems to be adjusted so it doesn't match anymore.

geldonyetich
x4

Post by geldonyetich » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 04:21

I encountered a situation where a hollow wreck would push my space suit away from the hollow middle but not my spaceship. Simultaneously, my spaceship was unable to collect dropped containers anymore. I suspect the issue here may be that the currently-piloted ships are losing their bullet physics colliders over time.

geldonyetich
x4

Post by geldonyetich » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 04:26

Then I noticed I was able to fly through asteroids and space stations without any trouble. And when I shot at drone traffic the shots would not connect.

Workaround: reload a saved game, it resets the physics engine and it starts to work again.

Old Drullo321
x4

Post by Old Drullo321 » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 12:05

I made a quick 30 sec video demonstrating the issue. If it happens, only a reload / restart temporarily fixes the issue. At least if effects container magnet and somehow disables collisions with objects as shown in the video. I can fly through everything.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/177xvft ... sp=sharing

ScarletEmerald

Post by ScarletEmerald » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 16:06

I was unable to pickup Unstable Crystals, Loadstones, or Space Fly Eggs by flying through them with my Fighter. This is the case both with and without using the container magnet.

RoverTX
x4

Post by RoverTX » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 19:31

My Save

I am seeing this off and on and it appears to be either the ship collision is off and/or the containers. The eclipse seems to be the worst offender under direct control.

silverstone08
x4

Post by silverstone08 » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 20:11

Can also confirm the issue is around.
I can only pick up items in the spacesuit since i started a new game (the tides of avarice start where your a prisoner) have not relaoded save yet but will try when i get to my current destination

RoverTX
x4

Post by RoverTX » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 22:56

Posted a link to a x4 dmp instead of my save, here is the right file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2fitujulm8hr3 ... ml.gz?dl=0

kmunoz
x4

Post by kmunoz » Sun, 22. Jan 23, 23:12

ZeroAffex wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 05:25
Just thought I'd report while I am here that I've had issues with picking up loot/containers with using the Container Magnet (O key) mainly on my S/M sized ships.

In short: Picking up loot with S/M ships is very hard because more often than not, loot flies past the ship as it's coming towards it. L ships seem to be relatively okay, maybe slightly better than before.
This happened under 5.1 and all previous versions, too. Maybe it's happening more often now due to the updated physics engine. What happens (or what was happening in the past) was that you'd end up getting the object you're magneting into a kind of elliptical orbit around your ship. You're capturing it like a star captures a comet. The solution was always to turn off the magnet, wait for the "space drag" to slow the object down, then try again. It would be more likely to work than fail if you were fully stationary before starting the magnet, or at most moving very slowly.
Let's Play Poorly! - Suboptimal X4 Playthroughs

alessandrofavero
x4

6.0 beta 1 Intangible Player Ship

Post by alessandrofavero » Mon, 23. Jan 23, 00:06

translated with Reverso

new game with 6.0 beta 1, vanilla

With my Quasar, I’m casting out some civilian criminal ships for a mission. With the magnet I can not capture the released containers and I do not understand why... I run to snag the throttle of the joystick forward all and vaado to serve me with the station.... or at least I thought.... I can cross the whole station as if there was nothing flying inside the modules that make it up.

reload solves the probelma.

Save
Ci sono 10 tipi di persone, chi capisce il codice binario e chi non lo capisce!!!
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.2GHz, 32 Gb RAM, MB ASUS TUF, NVIDIA Originale GeForce RTX 3070TI, Dedicated Memory: 8Gb

rudi_pioneer
x4

Post by rudi_pioneer » Mon, 23. Jan 23, 03:01

kmunoz wrote:
Sun, 22. Jan 23, 23:12
ZeroAffex wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 05:25

This happened under 5.1 and all previous versions, too. Maybe it's happening more often now due to the updated physics engine. What happens (or what was happening in the past) was that you'd end up getting the object you're magneting into a kind of elliptical orbit around your ship. You're capturing it like a star captures a comet. The solution was always to turn off the magnet, wait for the "space drag" to slow the object down, then try again. It would be more likely to work than fail if you were fully stationary before starting the magnet, or at most moving very slowly.
I know what you mean, there's definitely something different - tried stopping, moving a bit, continuous magnet, and interment, and items kept not picking up. I'll need to write down which ship and which items next time, since it wasn't all of them, just some.

ScarletEmerald

Post by ScarletEmerald » Sat, 28. Jan 23, 03:34

kmunoz wrote:
Sun, 22. Jan 23, 23:12
I can confirm that this previous issue is not the same issue as we are seeing in 6.0. In 6.0b1 I was unable to collect pickups even without using the container magnet.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”