[TESTREQUEST] Jolt Physics

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Scoob
x4

Re: [TESTREQUEST] Jolt Physics

Post by Scoob » Mon, 3. Apr 23, 16:42

Has the "strictness" of Jolt been reduced in RC1? The reason I ask is because I'm seeing lots of clipping recently. Generally, any S-Class ship I've sent to dock at a Wharf or Equipment dock - that I've actually been on / watched of course - has clearly clipped through the edges of the entrance. Basically, they appear to be lining up with their eventual dock and not the entrance first, so clip directly through the edge of it as if it's not there.

An additional example would be ships landing on a Phoenix Vanguard I own. Regularly, the S-Class vessels will fly right through the "dome" (mushroom top) of the Phoenix on their way to the pad. I'm all for "I'm struggling to path here, I'll take a shortcut" aka "no clip" mode to keep things running smoothly. However, ships with a seemingly clear path - at least to the human eye - are having problems docking at Wharf's / Equipment Dock's S/M bays. The Phoenix, depending on approach vector can be a little more tricky due to that large dome and the recessed docking pads, however, it's being pretty blatant about using "no clip".

In general flight, ships tend to bump off things physically accurately. Docking on regular station pads is generally ok too. The only exception there is if I approach a pad a bit too quickly then the Docking Computer thing "snags" me, I'll often dip into the deck for a few seconds. Under AI control, docking on these pads is fine.

When leaving a pad, while ships can often be observed making poor choices to get away from the area. However, in these cases, physics is applied and the ships don't seem to clip.

Basically, is there something about docking that's causing ships to disable collision entirely. This is not necessarily bad from a keeping things flowing perspective, but it's quite jarring, especially when I'm a passenger on the ship in question.

This is solely based on my personal observations during recent play sessions over the past couple of days.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Thu, 6. Apr 23, 13:33

Scoob wrote:
Mon, 3. Apr 23, 16:42
Basically, is there something about docking that's causing ships to disable collision entirely. This is not necessarily bad from a keeping things flowing perspective, but it's quite jarring, especially when I'm a passenger on the ship in question.
I wondered the same occasionally, just made a new bug report with video and save to look into which includes both clipping and pathing issues .. viewtopic.php?f=192&t=453302

Going by this topic in the OP "clipping through objects should not be possible.", but historically I have witnessed so many instances of flying inside station structures I kind of accepted it was an allowed thing by the game engine, now I wonder if its always been the case that clipping should not have happened and we should have reported every instance.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Thu, 6. Apr 23, 15:49

In the earlier Betas, the physics seemed solid - so much so it was often causing ships to be irretrievably stuck as long as the player was nearby. I don't recall any obvious instances of clipping. With the physics being so solid and pathing being the weak point that needed fixing, I didn't really expect to ever see such blatant clipping occur again. This is why I wanted to know if the devs had perhaps allowed clipping in certain instances when pathing would otherwise fail.

Watched your video and I've not actually experienced a high-speed clipping event like that in the Beta. In my personal experience, any high-speed collision either results in the ship bouncing off or stopping dead. What I do see though are the slow-speed clipping instances, almost like it's deliberate. It's like a separate logic has taken over the vessel and just moves it to were it needs to be. If I can snag a recreation case (reloading so often seen things play out differently) I'll be sure to upload it to this thread.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Fri, 7. Apr 23, 08:32

Scoob wrote:
Thu, 6. Apr 23, 15:49
~ What I do see though are the slow-speed clipping instances, almost like it's deliberate.
:D Dune - Gurney Halleck - "The slow blade penetrates the shield"

-------------------------------------

@Devs - I have seen a circumstance that was unusual (no save and I have not been able to repro the issue due to it being a bit random to make it happen) :
I had a ship low attention in another sector, and a station I'm interested in was being harrassed by a Kha'ak slowly bringing down its hull.
Decided to get my ship to attack the Kha'ak while I was out of sector.
Then I teleported into my ship to watch the action (curious because the Kha'ak was so close to the station).
Then I was horrified to see my ships captain was attacking the Paranid stations large habitat module ..

As I teleported in, I believe the Kha'ak at that moment must have been within the physical boundary of the station module, and so became trapped within it when I became High attention .. And so my ship continuing to attack the Kha'ak was now pounding the station module instead. I just took over the ship and cancelled the order quickly before too much damage happened.

I dont think you can do anything about such a situation, but just thought you/community ought to be aware of the possibility.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Vadi
x3ap

Post by Vadi » Mon, 10. Apr 23, 17:25

Some issues vacuuming containers here: https://streamable.com/hhr3vt 6.0rc3. Is this working as intended?

DocAce
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by DocAce » Wed, 12. Apr 23, 11:06

Vadi wrote:
Mon, 10. Apr 23, 17:25
Some issues vacuuming containers here: https://streamable.com/hhr3vt 6.0rc3. Is this working as intended?
This has been improved locally, but it hasn't made it into 6.00. It will be part of a future update.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”