Question about engine wash damage - Answered.

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Vertigo 7
x4

Question about engine wash damage - Answered.

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 22. Feb 21, 15:22

Since this is a new thing and I see large ships blasting each other in the face with their farts as they're docking/undocking, as well as occasionally farting on the stations they're docking/undocking with, are NPCs going to see that as an attack? I'd hate to be the poor guy that's trying to dock at a station and gets destroyed because I farted on it by accident.

I do see damage being registered to the ships and stations that are being farted on. But they've only been mine that I've paid any attention to so curious how other factions will react.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

z1ppeh
x4

Re: Question about engine wash damage

Post by z1ppeh » Mon, 22. Feb 21, 15:37

Currently its a damage that is not assigned to a particular faction as having dealt it. No kickbacks from using your engines on multiple ships to slowly weardown a friendly factions station or ships.... which should be fixed.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 22. Feb 21, 15:45

@ devs: Also see this thread.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 23. Feb 21, 19:57

z1ppeh wrote:
Mon, 22. Feb 21, 15:37
Currently its a damage that is not assigned to a particular faction as having dealt it. No kickbacks from using your engines on multiple ships to slowly weardown a friendly factions station or ships.... which should be fixed.
Please don't give us yet another way for our ships to unintentionally lose rep/declare war on other factions! Unintentional friendly fire rep loss is bad enough as it is!

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Tue, 23. Feb 21, 20:00

Im fairly certain this is probably an oversight? Engine wash (and thank you a lot for adding it) should only really effect the player? It is after all only us that sit in the engine bay of capital ships hiding from the turrets while we strip them.
My Gallery of X game stuff | My X4 Mods >> Argon Cyclops | Paintjobs Galore! | And more...
PS: We want the Boron! Please dont complicate it. Their ships don't need to be full of water and they could float around like baby yoda :boron: :boron:

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 23. Feb 21, 20:06

Damage caused by engines is always considered unintentional.

Wultan
x4

Post by Wultan » Tue, 23. Feb 21, 21:36

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 23. Feb 21, 20:06
Damage caused by engines is always considered unintentional.
I interpret this statement to mean that I will never lose reputation through engine attacks.

I still wonder why this kind of damage was introduced. Tactically, it can hardly be used except against immobile objects. Can you destroy stations with it?

Sure, it's realistic to do damage with engines, but that's not enough to simulate it in X4. So there must be more to it than that. Is there anything we can't see yet. Will there be a new game mechanic where engine damage makes sense?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Tue, 23. Feb 21, 21:50

Wultan wrote:
Tue, 23. Feb 21, 21:36
I still wonder why this kind of damage was introduced.

Sure, it's realistic to do damage with engines, but that's not enough to simulate it in X4. So there must be more to it than that. Is there anything we can't see yet. Will there be a new game mechanic where engine damage makes sense?
Its to make attacking ships while sitting in their gravity wells more interesting. We can just hover behind the engines while stripping a ship, with this feature its slightly more complex/immersive (hope the shake is made more violent).
My Gallery of X game stuff | My X4 Mods >> Argon Cyclops | Paintjobs Galore! | And more...
PS: We want the Boron! Please dont complicate it. Their ships don't need to be full of water and they could float around like baby yoda :boron: :boron:

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 23. Feb 21, 23:26

Wultan wrote:
I interpret this statement to mean that I will never lose reputation through engine attacks.
Correct.
Wultan wrote:
I still wonder why this kind of damage was introduced. Tactically, it can hardly be used except against immobile objects. Can you destroy stations with it?
It's not supposed to be used tactically. As Axeface says, to the extent that there is a specific purpose at all rather than just to make the simulation a bit more realistic, it's there to make attacking capital ships from their blind spots require a little more thought and effort.

easternsun

Re: Question about engine wash damage - Answered.

Post by easternsun » Tue, 23. Feb 21, 23:32

Can we get this to only register to the player. My map is inducing seizures with all the icons wiggling . :lol:

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 24. Feb 21, 01:44

easternsun wrote:
Tue, 23. Feb 21, 23:32
Can we get this to only register to the player. My map is inducing seizures with all the icons wiggling . :lol:
So that's why I see all the icons and jumpgates wiggling? Damage from engine exhaust?

Yeah, if this was meant simply to prevent player exploits, then maybe some way to restrict the damage to only player piloted ships might be best.

easternsun

Post by easternsun » Thu, 25. Feb 21, 00:13

Still not resolved in Beta 9

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 28. Feb 21, 05:10

@devs - how about a compromise. Keep the damage but turn off the icon shaking for this damage type? It is incredibly distracting.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”