[2.60-b4] [Feedback] Station building - Resolved one issue.

This forum provides information on obtaining access to Public Beta versions of X4: Foundations allowing people running those versions to provide feedback on their experiences.

Moderator: DevNet Public Moderators

Sima86

[2.60-b4] [Feedback] Station building - Resolved one issue.

Post by Sima86 » Wed, 9. Oct 19, 00:27

Building a station is pretty painful for new players.

Might be better:
- Rotating an element should be possible before placing (holding right button while hovering)
- Elements should be placeable everywhere, a position check should only occur when trying to buildorder
- Some colours indicate a status, while other colours indicate a function (pretty confusing)*

* red = not buildable, * red = also a defence structure

Some pretty quick fixes might be helpful, but in the long term the station build menu should be overhauled.
Userbenchmark Score

CPU: I5-7600K@4,7GHz | RAM: Corsair 32GB@3600
MB: MSI Z270M | GPU: RTX 2060 PhönixGS | PSU: Corsair RM550x

Falcrack
x4

Re: [2.60-b4] [Feedback] Station building

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 9. Oct 19, 03:06

Sima86 wrote:
Wed, 9. Oct 19, 00:27
Building a station is pretty painful for new players.

Might be better:
- Rotating an element should be possible before placing (holding right button while hovering)
- Elements should be placeable everywhere, a position check should only occur when trying to buildorder
- Some colours indicate a status, while other colours indicate a function (pretty confusing)*

* red = not buildable, * red = also a defence structure

Some pretty quick fixes might be helpful, but in the long term the station build menu should be overhauled.
Indeed, you don't know how many times I've wished I could rotate a module before officially placing it down. As it stands, unless there is a valid "green" placement option, I can't rotate around the module in order to get it into a position where it would be a valid placement. Case in point, placing a large pier. There might be a valid way to place this structure, but not with the default orientation, so I cannot place it down to rotate it to a valid position and orientation. This is one of the few things that bug me about station building.

But while we are talking of ways to improve station building, how about a little up or down arrow next to modules which are in the construction queue, but for which construction has not yet started? So I could easily move a specified module up or down the construction queue?

Szines Geza
x4

Post by Szines Geza » Wed, 9. Oct 19, 05:47

Elements placeable everywhere - anywhere (In the red zone too)! Just a LONGER left click (1s)

danpaul88
x4

Post by danpaul88 » Wed, 9. Oct 19, 10:49

You know, I never have figured out the exact key presses required to place it in an 'invalid' location so you can then rotate it - usually have this problem with a pier that is meant to go on one side of the station, but isn't the right way around to begin with and thus won't fit anywhere.

I have got into the habit of holding down both mouse buttons for a few seconds to get it to stay put in the 'red zone' - good to know it's only the left mouse required :)

SplitBoy
x4

Post by SplitBoy » Wed, 9. Oct 19, 12:11

While you place a object hold the mouse button a little longer and the placement verification will be skipped.

Now you can rotate your module and place it at a valid position.
You better go play with asteroids!/You losssssee profitsssss!

XTC0R
x4

Re: [2.60-b4] [Feedback] Station building - Resolved one issue.

Post by XTC0R » Wed, 9. Oct 19, 14:32

I would love to see a rotation key and a "move along axis" keys like most CAD tools (e.g. sketchup has).
Press left arrow and you can only move it in x-direction, right arrow only Y-axis and up arrow to lock at z-axis.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 9. Oct 19, 16:32

SplitBoy wrote:
Wed, 9. Oct 19, 12:11
While you place a object hold the mouse button a little longer and the placement verification will be skipped.

Interesting. I never knew that. Would be nice if it were documented somewhere!

SplitBoy
x4

Post by SplitBoy » Wed, 9. Oct 19, 16:52

Falcrack wrote:
Wed, 9. Oct 19, 16:32
SplitBoy wrote:
Wed, 9. Oct 19, 12:11

Interesting. I never knew that. Would be nice if it were documented somewhere!
Agreed like a lot of things proper documentation is missing.

Anything other then discovered by accident would be a lie.

Tbh i rather would see the Editor more or less redone all together:
Have the current build screen be as standalone app for Windows/Linux/Android with the option to import and export a plot or station template kinda a second screen option.
And the actual in game station editor should be in player space instead with the option to take lighting and stellar object positioning into consideration.

A Free Camera is a must as are keys/elements to rotate the object other then the inaccurate mouse thing i do like the idea to have it more like a CAD program as we are literal doing the thing a CAD Artist would do.

but hey that went way Off Topic

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 9. Oct 19, 17:20

One great point about the manual being in a fanbase-oriented Wiki format is that players who have additional useful information about the game can make a comment on the relevant manual page and which will hopefully result in a correction by the editors if there are proven errors/omissions.

X4 Manual Building Page: https://www.egosoft.com:8444/confluence ... Management
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

SplitBoy
x4

Post by SplitBoy » Wed, 9. Oct 19, 17:31

Alan Phipps wrote:
Wed, 9. Oct 19, 17:20
One great point about the manual being in a fanbase-oriented Wiki format is that players who have additional useful information about the game can make a comment on the relevant manual page and which will hopefully result in a correction by the editors if there are proven errors/omissions.

X4 Manual Building Page: https://www.egosoft.com:8444/confluence ... Management
Pro and Cons of crowd sourcing aside the documentation of a application should always be a priority of the developer and not of the community.

Tutorials and guides tho i agree it is nice to add something like that to a wiki.

Sima86

Post by Sima86 » Wed, 9. Oct 19, 21:01

Thank you! Now i can place without frustration.

Is there any way to rotate a object on all 3 axis?
Userbenchmark Score

CPU: I5-7600K@4,7GHz | RAM: Corsair 32GB@3600
MB: MSI Z270M | GPU: RTX 2060 PhönixGS | PSU: Corsair RM550x

Cadvan
x4

Post by Cadvan » Thu, 10. Oct 19, 00:57

no, only around Y

Return to “X4: Foundations - Public Beta Feedback”