Owning Heretics End. Pre-release people, help please

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Axeface
x4

Owning Heretics End. Pre-release people, help please

Post by Axeface » Wed, 12. Apr 23, 05:24

So, In my save that I am going to approach KE with I own Heretics End, but the game did a very good job of making me worried about this with its messages.
So a question for the streamers, if any frequent this forum, does owning the sector really effect the story? Should I relinquish control before buying the DLC for the best experience?
Oh, no spoilers please, lol - please just tell me whether I should relinquish or not if I want the full experience. And for context I'm playing as Teladi, so if relinquishing = more profits (war profiteering) then thats what I should do.

Quite excited about this DLC by the way. Really feels like the return of something cherished.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Re: Owning Heretics End. Pre-release people, help please

Post by Geek » Wed, 12. Apr 23, 18:24

I doubt ownership matters. The sector is not important beyond being the starting point.
Right on commander !

Tempest
x4

Post by Tempest » Thu, 13. Apr 23, 14:38

Axeface wrote:
Wed, 12. Apr 23, 05:24
So, In my save that I am going to approach KE with I own Heretics End, but the game did a very good job of making me worried about this with its messages.
So a question for the streamers, if any frequent this forum, does owning the sector really effect the story? Should I relinquish control before buying the DLC for the best experience?
Oh, no spoilers please, lol - please just tell me whether I should relinquish or not if I want the full experience. And for context I'm playing as Teladi, so if relinquishing = more profits (war profiteering) then thats what I should do.

Quite excited about this DLC by the way. Really feels like the return of something cherished.
what did you decide in the end?

was in a similair position. nothing worrying so far (4-5 hours in)

parked a few Asgard there just in case. for total immersion some Defense-platforms might be warranted?

maybe it's just flavor text?, in any case, bring it :P , a very weird message none the less, the player addressed by name as if they actually know about whom they are talking about. (me = 5.6 T bank account, 200+ Asgard Fleet, 500+ L-class destroyers)

can't really discuss much else w/o spoilers, as requested.
AMD 5800X|Gskill 4x8GB 3800C14 (MCLK:1800 for Coupled mode)|Gigabyte X570 Elite F37|TUF3080|Samsung NVME 980 Pro 250|ASUS PG279QE 2560x1440@144

blutengel40k
x4

Post by blutengel40k » Thu, 13. Apr 23, 15:30

In my Savegame heretic is my Main sector and i have finished The boron Plot. So it doesnt matter
Wir werden Schlachtschiffe bauen auf das sich der Himmel verdunkelt und die Vögel zu Fuss gehen müssen!!! :rant:

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sun, 16. Apr 23, 22:41

I had no consequences for owning Heretic's End. But I feel a bit sad that my owning Heretic's End basically means I won't see conflict between the Boron and Split. Or between the Boron and anyone else for that matter. I can't easily relinquish it because my ownership was conferred by a mega self-sufficient shipyard in that sector which I do not want to disassemble.

Tempest
x4

Post by Tempest » Sun, 16. Apr 23, 22:53

Falcrack wrote:
Sun, 16. Apr 23, 22:41
I had no consequences for owning Heretic's End. But I feel a bit sad that my owning Heretic's End basically means I won't see conflict between the Boron and Split. Or between the Boron and anyone else for that matter. I can't easily relinquish it because my ownership was conferred by a mega self-sufficient shipyard in that sector which I do not want to disassemble.
Seeing some minor skirmishes with ZYA vs BOR in Heretic's End, also some ZYA traffic is pushing into BOR territory trying to reach my own stations there.

anyone know where there "Bilateral Battlegroups" are supposed to show up? (specifically the boron one)

seeing one ARG Bilateral-BG in Great Reef, but can't seem to find it's boron counterpart (assuming that will spawn in ARG held sectors)

had some hope those would stir up some trouble, but it's fairly tame so far (single destroyer and a retinue of 3 corvettes and 10ish S-size crafts)
AMD 5800X|Gskill 4x8GB 3800C14 (MCLK:1800 for Coupled mode)|Gigabyte X570 Elite F37|TUF3080|Samsung NVME 980 Pro 250|ASUS PG279QE 2560x1440@144

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Mon, 17. Apr 23, 00:03

Falcrack wrote:
I can't easily relinquish it because my ownership was conferred by a mega self-sufficient shipyard in that sector which I do not want to disassemble.
Don't necessarily need to demolish the entire thing, just the modules that exert control over the sector. Think that's just the fabrication bays, unless you've built admin on it too. If you can manage without it building ships for a while interesting things may happen, then rebuild the missing modules.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 17. Apr 23, 00:13

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Mon, 17. Apr 23, 00:03
Falcrack wrote:
I can't easily relinquish it because my ownership was conferred by a mega self-sufficient shipyard in that sector which I do not want to disassemble.
Don't necessarily need to demolish the entire thing, just the modules that exert control over the sector. Think that's just the fabrication bays, unless you've built admin on it too. If you can manage without it building ships for a while interesting things may happen, then rebuild the missing modules.
Do the Boron try to claim Heretic's End? I would happily deconstruct the S/M module if it meant that there could be some battles there, I have plenty of other shipyards in other sectors. I also have and 2 L and a single XL build module there, do those confer sector ownership also?

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Mon, 17. Apr 23, 00:42

Falcrack wrote:
Mon, 17. Apr 23, 00:13
Do the Boron try to claim Heretic's End? I would happily deconstruct the S/M module if it meant that there could be some battles there, I have plenty of other shipyards in other sectors. I also have and 2 L and a single XL build module there, do those confer sector ownership also?
Think it's all sizes of fabrication bays that confer sector ownership. Maintenance bays may also have this effect too if you've built any. At least I think that's the way it works. It's not something I have a great deal of experience with. I generally do everything I can to avoid owning sectors, they're more useful under NPC faction control & I wouldn't want to get in the way of any potential mayhem. My single module admin station in Heretic's End was demolished about 5 seconds after construction was completed.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Mon, 17. Apr 23, 02:06

Build modules don't generate hostility though so if you moved your ships, supplies, and manager away, you could disassemble it and wait, then put it back together once someone took the system (assuming they do).
***modified***

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Mon, 17. Apr 23, 04:19

The question in the OP was related to whether owning the system stops some intended war or something, obviously split and argon are next door.
So... In my game I owned it when I started the boron plot. I then removed my admin module - for the entire boron plot including herald missions nothing happened in heretics end. Then once everything was complete a few build plots showed up and then disappeared - I was worried it wasnt working correctly (hoping for some huge battle for the system between arg/bor vs the patriarchy), but I carried on playing and argon have now taken the system and built a load of stations - and they are now building and attacking zya territory to the north. Boron are basically hemmed-in though - they only just took the 1st system and only with a single station.

Kind of disappointing tbh.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Mon, 17. Apr 23, 08:20

Yeah, no guaranree it's the Borons that come out ahead in the land grab. They did in my game but it could easily have been Argons or Split instead. Although both of the latter factions are currently a mite distracted elsewhere. Split have their usual Xenon troubles & the Argons are embroiled in Terran Conflict II. Might have made a difference, but can't know for sure.

In your situation I might be tempted to give the Borons a second shot at taking the sector. If something were to happen to Argon admin... In my current game I have a torpedo Hydra for just such circumstances (it's called the 'Conflict Resolution'). Was not needed in this case but has previously been used to flip sector control of Second Contact II & The Void to Argon.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Mon, 17. Apr 23, 09:28

One thing I am curious about, will they take it if the player has never owned it? Or does it remain one of those sectors nobody is willing to claim first? It seemed like the message about it that popped up just before KE was hinting at that.

So far, in my game, nobody has taken it... Split, Argon, nor Boron. However I have not finished all the Boron missions yet either, so maybe the catalyst comes later on? They do have their shipyard though.
***modified***

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Mon, 17. Apr 23, 09:41

LameFox wrote:
Mon, 17. Apr 23, 09:28
One thing I am curious about, will they take it if the player has never owned it? Or does it remain one of those sectors nobody is willing to claim first? It seemed like the message about it that popped up just before KE was hinting at that.
That was the one & only purpose of my 5 second admin station. It was the starting gun for the land grab by neighbouring NPC factions.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Mon, 17. Apr 23, 09:54

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Mon, 17. Apr 23, 09:41
LameFox wrote:
Mon, 17. Apr 23, 09:28
That was the one & only purpose of my 5 second admin station. It was the starting gun for the land grab by neighbouring NPC factions.
Had you completed all the missions without anyone taking it or did you claim and drop it earlier?
***modified***

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Mon, 17. Apr 23, 10:18

LameFox wrote:
Mon, 17. Apr 23, 09:54
Had you completed all the missions without anyone taking it or did you claim and drop it earlier?
Had completed all Boron missions prior to my very brief ownership of the sector. Do not know however if that's essential to open up the sector for one of the other factions to claim. May well be possible to do this right from the start, before any missions have been done.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Mon, 17. Apr 23, 10:20

Yeah, I would expect it to work from the beginning, since it can be done without KE. Just wasn't sure whether they'd eventually be willing to claim it without the player taking it first, but it sounds like I'll probably have to do it, at some point.
***modified***

mp63
x3

Post by mp63 » Mon, 17. Apr 23, 11:05

No Problem so far. Had a shipyard and some Fabs in Heretics End(sector claimed); all plots from previous dlcs and most Terraforming finishied - my HQ located in Frontier Edge.
On starting with the Boron DLC received a message "..invitation bla bla" and the expedition fleet had assembled around the newly active gate in Heretics End. As soon as I arrived in sector the intro played and I could join.

Played through it so far and with diplomatic missions finished and the highway through Sanctuary of Darkness built I guess the main Boron plot is over. Couldnt see any issues with me owning Herectics End. The Boron are Happy with their sectors connected and with Watchful Gaze and Menelaus being packed with resources they don't need much expansion. Pirate ships are coming in, but so far I haven't seen unfriendly faction ships inside the Boron sectors. The Split factions with each other, both with the Argon and the Vigor and the MIN are hitting each other over the head - agressiveness seems to be turned up in the parameters. My scrapyards are steaming :mrgreen:

Next step is Terraforming for the Boron. Needs some preparation. Just claimed Sanctuary of Darkness. Let's see what the Khaak have to say about it :rant:

soladept
x4

Post by soladept » Mon, 17. Apr 23, 19:31

LameFox wrote:
Mon, 17. Apr 23, 10:20
Yeah, I would expect it to work from the beginning, since it can be done without KE. Just wasn't sure whether they'd eventually be willing to claim it without the player taking it first, but it sounds like I'll probably have to do it, at some point.
Several of the vanilla 1.0 sectors like Heretics, Hewa 4, Silent Ix and IIX, and Nopleios had the devs add a flag on them to restrict AIs from claiming them with admins unless a player claims and then loses or abandons it, presumably so there was empty sectors for a player to claim

the later unclaimed sectors they added in before SV, Getsu Fune and Turqiouse Sea, dont have these blocks and on gamestart Getsu Fune will usualy have either Terrans grab it from a player doing a cadet start and spawning the Miltia base in, or if they defer the Solborn mission Terrans and Antigone will usualy race to get the first build done, how Antigone does usualy depends on how intial combat and attacks pan out between Xenon in the Void and HOP in Second, or if they decided to build an Admin in Frontiers Edge, i never really see the ANT ai building two admin stations at the same time. if Terrans get Getsu but Ant had a Admin build placed and it survives Xenon attacks they will build in Getsu regardless of Terran ownership tho. Turqoiuse can go unclaimed longer on average usualy because of the skirmishes between the Teladi and the Scale Plate Xenon have high odds of destroying unfinished stations there.

and since them the only other unclaimed sectors was a Heart of Acrimony sector in split splace thats plot locked and I dont know if its flagged to avoid AI Admins, Saturn 2 got added in one of the interm patches before Avarice and the Terrans waste no time in claiming it usualy, and then theres leap... and KE has added Sanctuary of Darkness and Watchful Gaze, no clue if those are flag locked either, havent put enough time in yet.

Ehli
x4

Post by Ehli » Tue, 18. Apr 23, 20:12

soladept wrote:
Mon, 17. Apr 23, 19:31
... and KE has added Sanctuary of Darkness and Watchful Gaze, no clue if those are flag locked either, havent put enough time in yet.
I have a pretty long ingame time post-KE: Watchful Gaze got taken by the Boron after the campaign. I boosted the economy (especially hull parts) as well, as otherwise I think they would have had trouble finishing it.

Sanctuary of Darkness is still unclaimed (highways are finished)

However, the Boron are getting seriously crippled again, because their L miners & traders constantly die due to the... issues posted here many times. I (also) lost well over 40 high shielded Magnetar Sentinels over the course of just 10 hours (kept pc on overnight, no seta) there.. had to resort to M to get progress with the Boron terraform quest.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”