For anyone interested: Sector with largest 5-jumps-network

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Demolux_D1
x4

For anyone interested: Sector with largest 5-jumps-network

Post by Demolux_D1 » Fri, 19. Aug 22, 02:31

Hi community,

idk if it has been done before:

I made a clean start in X4 ToA again, budgeted, and started with a 5-star manager on my HQ. I wanted to make a trading station out of it. The manager makes all its subordinates able to go the max. 5 jumps away. So I wondered: What is the best sector for that? Which sector gives me the highest reachable sectors with 5 jumps? I wrote a little python script and here is the result:

Hatikvahs Choice I and, thus also, Hatikvahs Choice III. Starting from both, you are able to reach 101 sectors! Seeing that and the 5-jump-limit is not that much of a limit as it looks like at first glance 8)
The third best choice is Windfall III (and thus Windfall IV and Windfall I). You can reach 95 sectors from there.

Both results are also valid when weighting the sectors considering the presence of trading outposts, both shipyards, pirate stations, and such, 2 points each and a base point for each sector.
Well, yes, it is kind of obvious as they are in the center. But now I can be sure. Oh, and the results may be wrong of course, there can always be a bug somewhere. Yet I guess they are fairly correct.
:lol:

I also really hope that I am right assuming a jump equals going through a jumpgate - and not a highway, superhighway or accelerator.... :roll:

Just my 2 cents for you,
nice regards,
Demo

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: For anyone interested: Sector with largest 5-jumps-network

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Sun, 21. Aug 22, 23:37

Thanks so much for sharing this.

Back when I was playing The Outer Worlds I would joke to myself " ♫It's not the best choice...It's Hatikvah's Choice!♫".

With this new information, I take it back :D

Duncaroos
x4

Post by Duncaroos » Mon, 22. Aug 22, 18:44

You know, I was starting to ask myself where are the best spots for trade station locations. This helps create an anchor point thanks!
Playing X4+All_DLC 6.20 Build - on:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X; RAM: 4x8GB DDR4 3200MHz; GPU: GTX 1070 8GB, Driver v516.94, DirectX 12.0; OS: Win10 Home 22H2 (19045.3086); Monitor: Single Acer S232HL 1920x1080

Duncaroo's Station Storage Estimator

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Tue, 23. Aug 22, 19:54

That's really useful.

Good work on writing the Python script.
I am a rock in the wind, watch how I plummet!
Gamer Girl since 1981 Mistress of Heavy Landings since 1984 (BBC-B Elite)

Corei7 7700, 16GB Ram, MSI RX6700XT, Sidewinder FFB2, Kubuntu 22.04

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Mon, 29. Aug 22, 05:30

Duncaroos wrote:
Mon, 22. Aug 22, 18:44
You know, I was starting to ask myself where are the best spots for trade station locations. This helps create an anchor point thanks!
For anchor spots I like Two Grand, Second Contact, and Pious Mists II. They're all 4-5 jumps from each other, and those three spots pretty much hit most of the map. A few of the distance CoH sectors don't get hit, but that's a completely different economy, so I'm not sure it's super useful anyhow. A trade station on its own in maybe Saturn would cover the vast majority of CoH space.

Peanutcat
x4

Post by Peanutcat » Mon, 19. Sep 22, 19:33

I'd be very interested in mining spots as well if you ever do a similair check for them.

Also I'm not 100% confident in this but I think that the accelerators count as a jump.
F signature

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Tue, 20. Sep 22, 05:17

Demolux_D1 wrote:
Fri, 19. Aug 22, 02:31
I also really hope that I am right assuming a jump equals going through a jumpgate - and not a highway, superhighway or accelerator.... :roll:
Maybe I'm wrong with this, but I think when it comes to max jump distances for traders, every "big" hexagon on the map is one sector, separated either by gate or accelerator.
Small hexagons (inside the big hexagons), usually connected via superhighway, belong to the same big hexagon, therefore the same sector.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 20. Sep 22, 12:59

Rei Ayanami wrote:
Tue, 20. Sep 22, 05:17
Maybe I'm wrong with this, but I think when it comes to max jump distances for traders, every "big" hexagon on the map is one sector, separated either by gate or accelerator.
Small hexagons (inside the big hexagons), usually connected via superhighway, belong to the same big hexagon, therefore the same sector.
I believe this is the case. During one of my recent games needed a very large amount of methane for terraforming. Spotted there was quite a lot of it in Tharka's Ravine VIII. Unfortunately miners working for an existing gas mining station in Bright Promise would not go that far, even with a blacklist prohibiting them from going elsewhere. Ended up building a new mining station in Ianamus Zura IV which was close enough. Tharka's Ravine sectors are big hexes linked by accelerators, so each one of them seems to be counted for range.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Tue, 20. Sep 22, 14:06

You have systems, clusters, and sectors.

A system is a single cluster, or collection of similar clusters. A cluster is a large hex. A sector is a specific single large or small hex. For example, Second Contact as a whole is a system, with 3 clusters, each cluster has 1 sector. Hewa's Twin is a system, with 3 clusters, 1 cluster has a single sector, and 2 clusters have 2 sectors. Argon prime is a system, a single cluster, and a single sector in that cluster.

Now, for jump gates, the distance is calculated by clusters. Essentially each large cluster is a jump. A cluster that has two or three smaller sectors, they're all within that cluster and do not count as additional jumps.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”