[spoiler] Torus Mission Feedback

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

palentier
x3ap

Re: [spoiler] Torus Mission Feedback

Post by palentier » Mon, 29. Mar 21, 11:49

When I first got the "Gain Access" portion of the mission with the first 4 switches, I just hit them all red and the door opened, but after that it seems like my questline might have broke. After going through the newly opened door there was a side air shaft I was supposed to have to use I think, but I didn't need to use it. After going ahead for a long way to the room with 8 switches (all green) and turning them all red, I proceeded to fly completely out of the station without ever having the gain access mission change. I reloaded a save from before I entered the station. Hopefully it works this time or maybe I will also have to restart my pc. Honestly I spent like an 1.5 hour or more just flying around looking for stuff, shooting the 8 switches again before I even thought something might be wrong.

Edit: After shooting the 4 switches again this time, I got the guy to say "this is the way back, but we don't want to go back yet" or whatever. I kept hitting switches until the right door opened, but the guy didn't say anything. My new path is unobstructed to the 8 switches again, which I assume is broken. Anyone can tell me if this is right or not?
This is exactly what happened to me. Are you missing walls inside the ship itself as well? I when I restarted the computer and the save from outside the Earth sector and went back to the ship it all loaded correctly the second time and the switches work as intended with scripts running and the missing dialogue.

paraskous
x4

Post by paraskous » Mon, 29. Mar 21, 16:08

I looked up a solution for the eight switches. Cant be bothered to figure it out myself - tried maybe over half an hour. Thought some comment in the puzzle might be a hint but couldn't make any sense of it. The rest was pretty good. Died once in env damage when overlooking a switch or mit might have glitched away? 2nd try I could work well enough my way through.
Still don't know what happened to the Torus - it was quite the sight in X3 - bummer.

S0lem
x4

Post by S0lem » Mon, 29. Mar 21, 20:38

palentier wrote:
Mon, 29. Mar 21, 11:49
When I first got the "Gain Access" portion of the mission with the first 4 switches, I just hit them all red and the door opened, but after that it seems like my questline might have broke. After going through the newly opened door there was a side air shaft I was supposed to have to use I think, but I didn't need to use it. After going ahead for a long way to the room with 8 switches (all green) and turning them all red, I proceeded to fly completely out of the station without ever having the gain access mission change. I reloaded a save from before I entered the station. Hopefully it works this time or maybe I will also have to restart my pc. Honestly I spent like an 1.5 hour or more just flying around looking for stuff, shooting the 8 switches again before I even thought something might be wrong.

Edit: After shooting the 4 switches again this time, I got the guy to say "this is the way back, but we don't want to go back yet" or whatever. I kept hitting switches until the right door opened, but the guy didn't say anything. My new path is unobstructed to the 8 switches again, which I assume is broken. Anyone can tell me if this is right or not?
This is exactly what happened to me. Are you missing walls inside the ship itself as well? I when I restarted the computer and the save from outside the Earth sector and went back to the ship it all loaded correctly the second time and the switches work as intended with scripts running and the missing dialogue.
Not that I noticed, but honestly I didn't really pay attention to the ship. Kind of funny considering how many times I got in and out of it, but apparently I didn't really care about it. I did notice the 4 switch door was glitching. Sometimes it would disappear for a second and then come back. It was late last night when I posted/last encountered the error. I decided to skip straight to your solution and try restart my pc. Hopefully that fixes my problems.

UPDATE: First try upon restarting my pc doing the 4 switches to open the door resulted in a "Splendid! Proceed! This path should get us to the data centre". This is my first time seeing this message and must be a good sign. I dont restart my pc often, but I am glad it helped. :) Also on a side note. I think the ship looks prettier than it did last night. Were the textures you were missing on the outside? I might not have paid attention to it, because it looked ugly last night. It was also like 4am though.

Update 2: Success! Due to all the issues I didn't want to mess around solving the puzzle myself and have something else go wrong. I tried this solution first and it worked like a charm. Thanks to both of you for the help.
Waltz99 wrote:
Thu, 25. Mar 21, 12:18
Spoiler
Show
First switch 3 and 6 --> Firewall kicks in
Now switch 5, 2, 8 --> Mission complete

palentier
x3ap

Post by palentier » Mon, 29. Mar 21, 22:50

Not that I noticed, but honestly I didn't really pay attention to the ship. Kind of funny considering how many times I got in and out of it, but apparently I didn't really care about it. I did notice the 4 switch door was glitching. Sometimes it would disappear for a second and then come back. It was late last night when I posted/last encountered the error. I decided to skip straight to your solution and try restart my pc. Hopefully that fixes my problems.

UPDATE: First try upon restarting my pc doing the 4 switches to open the door resulted in a "Splendid! Proceed! This path should get us to the data centre". This is my first time seeing this message and must be a good sign. I dont restart my pc often, but I am glad it helped. :) Also on a side note. I think the ship looks prettier than it did last night. Were the textures you were missing on the outside? I might not have paid attention to it, because it looked ugly last night. It was also like 4am though.
So part of this bug happens in other places / ships for me. There are totally missing (invisible) graphic parts (walls, ship parts..etc). This also seems connected to scripted events not triggering. Restarting a save or even closing and opening the game again doesn't seem to fix the issue, it requires a hard computer restart to close some process running in the background that is malfunctioning (I presume).

In the mission there where areas where the buttons were just floating in space and you could run into the invisible walls and would stop but couldn't see them and would be looking out into space. I was confused at first because I thought "well okay, I guess, I am in a wreck so....um...missing walls...okay." It wasn't until I went through the unbugged version that I realized the problem.

Anyway, glad it helped. I am sure Egosoft will figure this out and hotfix it soon hopefully.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Tue, 30. Mar 21, 02:47

I absolutely loved that mission, save for the foray into terran space itself.
Because it was a restricted area, I just dashed in, found accelerators as quickly as possible, etc. until I reached the torus ruin.
I had no idea how or why that place was restricted space (I truly joined the X franchise at XR), but the fact that is was restricted and that your cover will get blown off eventually kind of ruined the fun of exploration.

Outside of that, it was a blast. I snickered at the face of the terran scientist claiming the boron pirate had surrounded itself with "shady characters". The overall missions are fun. The Torus puzzles were ok. The turret fight, while easy, reminded me a bit of all those rail shooters I used to play (starfox and the like).
Now I wish there was a way to get the whole torus to play in.

And the Geometric Owl... I know it's basically a pimped-up pegasus with 4 guns but... where can we get more ships like that? :o
I mean... I hate the look of the pegasus. but the Owl looks NEAT!

I'm currently playing the other quests of the DLC.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Tue, 30. Mar 21, 08:57

Ezarkal wrote:
Tue, 30. Mar 21, 02:47
And the Geometric Owl... I know it's basically a pimped-up pegasus with 4 guns but... where can we get more ships like that? :o
I mean... I hate the look of the pegasus. but the Owl looks NEAT!
I loved this mission too, reminded me of X2 The Threat, X3 Reunion and X3 Albion Prelude, puzzles using the X Series game features / capabilities by Egosoft have always been good, makes you think :)

Reference your question - When you do the Yaki plot missions you will find another, and also ..
Spoiler
Show
Its possible to get Blueprints from the Yaki for the Moreya, and another ship which is a Yaki version of the Paranid Nemesis, I just got them both yesterday ( plus Cluster mines blueprint O_o ). Bit of studying required for a complex multiple mission decision to be made first which could determine the outcome of whether you will be friends enough with the Yaki afterwards .. Failing that I think you can hack for them, find an abandoned one and emp it then scan. Though the latter method I can't personally confirm it works plus getting an abandoned one might be a bit of a tall order, especially if the Yaki station gets destroyed (apparently its supposed to respawn somewhere if it does, but dont know for sure if it does yet). These ships also can carry Container / Solid / Gas (I think thats the artistic reason for those cylinders attached to the ships hull, to depict the Pirate adaptation of other races ships to carry anything they need).
Only troubles I have right now are the Terrans hate me, and an Asgard can wipe out 10 Rattlesnakes OOS no bother, one of my fleets plugging a Xenon gate went missing, the log revealed what had happened while I was otherwise engaged O_o.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 1. Apr 21, 20:28

Should I expect any impact or reward from this mission? Or Geometric Owl is all that I get? Not even a fancy paint job?

PIO Leader say that the will terraform Segaris and Gaian Phrophecy, but I see no change on sector workforce, nor planets visual appearance.

Do PIO actually terraform these in game? if yes they how long should I wait?
Last edited by mr.WHO on Fri, 2. Apr 21, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.

steph2019

Post by steph2019 » Fri, 2. Apr 21, 08:09

Done too after being procrastinent a lot - mixed feeling about it
I don't like the fact I needed to do it for getting some of the terraforming new tech honestly (even if not absolutely mandatory)
In addition with old games it is even more difficult as the fps are low (controlling the ship/the guy for example is more difficult)- but i can understand the interest some have as it is theatrical and different

unbind
x4

Post by unbind » Sat, 3. Apr 21, 03:40

grumble3141 wrote:
Wed, 17. Mar 21, 22:12
Spoiler
Show
Ok Starts with 1,2,7,8 on/green and protected 3, 4, 5, 6 off/red. Do 3, 4, 4, 6, 5 and firewall will be activated and all turn red. Then do a 2, 5, 8 and you're there.

if you're not at all red what I saw was
1 - 2
2 - 1, 3
3 - 4
4 - 5
5 - 4
6 - 5
7 - 8
8 - 6, 7
Worked for me anyway.
THANK YOU!!!

palentier
x3ap

Post by palentier » Sun, 4. Apr 21, 07:17

3-6-2-3-5-3-8 should work in every case.

budforceuk
x4

Post by budforceuk » Wed, 5. Jan 22, 16:41

grumble3141 wrote:
Wed, 17. Mar 21, 22:12
Spoiler
Show
Ok Starts with 1,2,7,8 on/green and protected 3, 4, 5, 6 off/red. Do 3, 4, 4, 6, 5 and firewall will be activated and all turn red. Then do a 2, 5, 8 and you're there.

if you're not at all red what I saw was
1 - 2
2 - 1, 3
3 - 4
4 - 5
5 - 4
6 - 5
7 - 8
8 - 6, 7
Worked for me anyway.
Legend thanks.

I cant stand this part of the quest, second time I have done it, last time a year or so ago I came to this thread and just found the solution.

Shizzkizz
x4

Post by Shizzkizz » Sat, 10. Dec 22, 06:08

To add to people's frustration about this mission.

I had it so panel 7 would turn off 8 but 8 would turn off 7 and 6. So they were just stuck in a loop of turning each other off, great design. Lost 7 hours of play if i wanna try repeat *shudders* the mission.

Harpya
x4

Post by Harpya » Thu, 9. Mar 23, 04:49

Sorry to revive this thread, but I am majorly frustrated. Came back to X4 (played all the games) after a two year pause, just to get close to abandoning it again because of this horribly designed mission.

I am at the 8 switches. All are green, except either 4 or 5. Activating one makes the other red and vice versa.

What can I do? Who in Earth orbit thought this was a fun X mission??

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

EDIT:
in the end, after wasting two hours, I finally was able to do it after carefully going over this list, posted on the first or second page of this thread:

"every switch triggers one other, but two of them will actually switch 2 other switches
links: (means activate x with repair beam -> y,z will activate/switch too):
1 -> 2
2 -> 1,3
3 -> 4
4 -> 5
5 -> 4
6 -> 5
7 -> 8
8 -> 6,7
just pick an activation order that doesnt trigger switches twice (of course switches should be all red in the beginning)
for example 8,5,2 should work"

However, I stay with my frustrated assessment: This mission was the worst gaming experience I had in years. :evil:

Matrixfart
x4

Post by Matrixfart » Mon, 31. Jul 23, 21:59

Have to re-necro this thread to vent my frustration at this less than well thought out mission, in particular the part with the 8 switches. I will certainly not be wanting to repeat it in any future playthrough.

It wasn't the puzzle in and of itself that was a problem, it was the fact that you had to do it in a spacesuit. It was clunky, slow and tedious to the point where it severely detracted from the rest of the mission as a whole. A shame since it explored some interesting lore and was otherwise decently scripted. Though the ship could do with being able to fly a little faster in those tunnels.

To the devs: If you even introduce puzzle missions again, please don't make performing the main logic actions unneccessarily long-winded and frustrating.

baerdesklopapies
x4

Post by baerdesklopapies » Tue, 1. Aug 23, 11:42

i agree to that.

It would be more logic if the Player has to step into a Controllroom (via Airlock) and have to puzzle some electricity Switches by Hand. The shooting Switches feels not right.

o7

Daemonjax
x4

Post by Daemonjax » Wed, 20. Sep 23, 19:04

This is easily the absolute worst mission in any game I've ever done.

8 switch room. For hours. Tedious.

I've never seen any puzzle like this in my life -- usually when puzzles are added to a game as a sidequest, it's based on a very well-known irl puzzle... like towers of hanoi or something like that. So that a player could look it up online to figure out how to do it BEFORE they get frustrated. Also there should be a reset button to reset the puzzle to the beginning state.

AND the interface for the puzzle shouldn't be tedious -- flying around in a large room in your spacesuit is tedious. Part of the problem is that the range for the repair laser is so damn short, AND you have to be really close anyways to see the numbers on the switches because the room is dark.

I even busted out some pen and paper to see if I could find some kind of pattern.

Here's what I wrote down:

8 (also activates 6&7) ____ 1 (also activates 2)
7 (also activates 8 ) ____ 2 (also activates 1&3)

6 (also activates 5 ) ____ 3 (also activates 4)
5 (also activates 4 ) ____ 4 (also activates 5)

So... my plan was to activate: 8, 2, 4

Easy, right? NOPE! Because after activating some, others would get SEALED OFF becoming inaccessible -- defeating my plan.

I ended up just trying random stuff until it worked.

It doesn't help that the entire quest chain up to that point is also tedious...

Having to avoid a hazardous area of space without any visual indicators or die? Tedious.
Flying through terran space looking for locations without being able to comm anyone for it? Tedious.
Be unable to give any orders to any of your properties while flying the moreya (6k travel speed is NOT fast)? You guessed it.

Please value my time.

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Thu, 21. Sep 23, 07:23

Daemonjax wrote:
Wed, 20. Sep 23, 19:04

Having to avoid a hazardous area of space without any visual indicators or die? Tedious.
Haven't you heard the rumors that there is a big ownerless ship floating nearby, which just ignores "hazardous areas".
Spoiler
Show
Odysseus in Faulty Logic II

Ghizmo
x4

Post by Ghizmo » Thu, 18. Jan 24, 08:55

Spoiler to anyone who might still need to figure this out.
The exact order is:

First puzzle:
Spoiler
Show
Between these two puzzles all switches are reset to be inactive.

Second puzzle: (This puzzle also locks certain switches, do it in the exact order and you won't be locked out of the sequence)
Spoiler
Show

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”