Guide on Stealing Blueprints - With Pictures

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

grapedog
x4

Guide on Stealing Blueprints - With Pictures

Post by grapedog » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 19:36

Updated - March 2021

How to Steal Blueprints... (along with some Black Market questions being answered if you had some)

You'll need 2 things.

The PHQ(player headquarters) quest completed up to the point where you can conduct research, and research all the module hack items. If you haven't unlocked the PHQ, or completed the hack research items at the PHQ, you'll be unable to hack for blueprints using this method.

The Spacesuit EMP and Bomb Launcher.

-----
EDIT/ADD: As of April, 2023. Another update, mostly on additional ways to find black market dealers. Plus to update some old stuff with new info.

EDIT/ADD: As of March, 2021. Just wanted to update a few things with the release of CoH and v4.0. Some of the stuff about the station going hostile, police chasing you, doesn't seem to be happening right now. So just SAVE before you start stealing, in case that changes in the future back to the old system of angering them, and sending police at you.

EDIT/ADD: As of April 2020... just wanted to update WHAT can be stolen now that shipbuilding has been added to the game.

As a player you can only obtain blueprints for components used to build stations, excluding the shipbuilding modules themselves(S/M, L, and XL production modules and repair bay modules must be purchased through a faction representative).

Ship blueprints must be purchased. There was a time/way to EMP derelict ships and obtain blueprints, but that has been patched out and no longer works. These must be obtained through purchasing from a faction representative.

Ship components must also be purchased. So any shields, turrets, weapons, things like that cannot be stolen, and must be obtained through a faction representative. END of EDIT/ADD.

-----

You need to build the spacesuit EMP, from the crafting bench, which requires 3 items. A remote detonator, a lodestone, and a secure container. Sometimes the traders at Pirate Bases or HAT Free Ports will have spacesuit bombs and EMP's for sale, but in limited amounts. The bombs cost about 100k, and the EMPs cost about 125k, depending on relations. The cost of components for crafting an EMP are about 25k.

Crafting your Spacesuit EMP at a crafting station at any Traders Corner.

First, for the Remote Detonators, two ways to get them, from Black Marketeers, and also from the regular traders at some of the Pirate Bases, and HAT Free Ports may sell them. The best way I've found to get them from Black Marketeers is to be scanning stations, and look for the pinwheel fuzzy sparkle leaks. Those are sometimes(maybe 15% of the time) black market missions called "A Lucrative Opportunity", and black marketeers sell detonators. Now, if you get a quest to deliver them remote detonators, they won't have any to buy, but if you get a quest to deliver them anything else(spacefly eggs, unstable crystals, caviar, decryption modules, etc...), they should have remote detonators for sale. They sell lots of good, useful stuff, for completing OTHER black marketeer missions as well. So stock up!

EDIT/ADD: (APRIL 2023) Another way to open up new black market dealers is to look at the map, and look at delivery ships WITHOUT a ware in the name. It will be generic like ANT Delivery Ship Courier, or PAR Delivery Ship Frog. Those are drug smuggling ships, and what they'll do is buy drugs from a station and then deliver them. If they deliver them to a trade station, you could try scanning the station for leaks, but trade stations are massive and leaks are hard to find. You want to wait and follow them and see when they go to any other station that isn't a trade station or a drug factory. Once you know the station they are going to, you can scan that station for signal leaks, the fuzzy pinwheel. I've only tried it twice, following those ships, and I'm 100% on finding a black market mission on the first signal leak I find. Might take more signal leaks, but IT SEEMS that the station will have a black market dealer mission if you can find it.

Black Market Mission - Fuzzy Pinwheel - Sparkler in Space!

Getting close and accepting the mission.

This is also a data leak, that you can see when in Scan Mode(Shift+2). But this is NOT for finding Black Market missions. But if it is on a module you do not have, get out of your ship, and scan it in your spacesuit. If you spacesuit scan it, there is a good chance you can get the blueprint, without needing to use an EMP.

Once you've accepted the mission, this is where you can find your Black Marketeer.

Black Marketeer and what she is selling.

The secure containers are rare-ish items you can find and purchase from regular traders at traders corners. You may have to bounce around to a bunch of traders to find any. I now make it a point to buy any secure containers I find any time I go to a trader for any reason, if they have em. You will sometimes find secure containers as dropped loot from criminals who were either destroyed, or dropped their illicit cargo, after police interdiction. You can also sometimes find them as loot from regular battles out in space against your enemies. The bomb launcher can be purchased from any Trader you talk to. In the pic below, he had the bomb launcher for sale, but no secure containers.

Secure Containers... this bum had none for sale. But he is selling a bomb launcher just below the highlighted box.

Lodestones you find from breaking apart asteroids. From asteroids you can ALSO find Spacefly Eggs and Unstable Crystals, which are both Black Market quest items... so by gathering as many of those three items as you can, you'll be able to fulfill more black market requests, unlocking more black marketeers, to buy your remote detonators, for more EMPS!

-----

Make sure your Bomb Launcher(#2) is the weapon selected(the middle one that looks like an old school bomb), not repair laser, and not regular dmg laser. Make sure also to select EMP bombs, not regular bombs. For me to switch between regular bombs and EMPs is the K key. The EMP bomb looks like the bomb with lightning bolts coming off it. Then you can launch an EMP bomb at a module. Detonate the EMP bomb(to detonate, select the EMP bomb that is now attached to the surface of the module with a left click, right click on it... you can trigger THAT bomb, or multiple bombs, or detach it. If you detach it, it will pop off and float away, and can be picked up by you or your ship). There is no reason to launch more than one bomb per module you're trying to EMP. I stick to one module per station, maybe 2 modules if the first EMP doesn't make em angry enough to attack.

(EDIT/ADD: As of CoH/4.0(Mar 2021), the station and the fuzz don't seem to get mad anymore when you EMP the station. The second time you EMP the station, they will chat you up letting you know they're not happy, but they don't actually do anything. You could EMP a station 6 times and not have them turn red or send police. I imagine this might change at some point in the future, so just SAVE before you start EMPing for blueprints.

-----

EMP Triggering Options. Also, not highlighted, on the right side of the box, that shows how your armed. I have the Bomb Launcher selected right now.

4 data leaks will spawn when you detonate it, scan all 4 leaks, the 1st or 4th leak will have the blueprint if you don't already have it, and if you've unlocked module hack research through your PHQ. Sometimes a leak other than the 4th will have it, if you get it on the first leak scanned, yahoo!

Sometimes, you can also get a message that says Trade Partner Added or Permanent Trade Subscription. Keep scanning, make sure you get all 4 leaks, and you should get your blueprint, but you might get one of these other notices as well. A permanent trade subscription means that you will always get price/sale updates from that station, even if it's got no satellite, and you don't have a trade subscription with that faction. You'll just always know what they want/are selling. The other one, Trade Partner added is a bit weird... it will scan your game, see which stations you have a found, and which you have not. Of the ones you have NOT found, it will add it to your map. It's not giving you a trade sub to it, just revealing it on the map if you didn't have it before. So that's a pretty sweet one to get too.

4 data leaks, all close to each other, and easy to find and see. No reload needed here.

-----

Bravo Zulu! You've just stolen a blueprint... and if you've looked at the prices for some of them, like the Argon Large size Habitat module blueprint, that's like 22 million, roughly, to purchase from a faction rep.

Where you'll see your success message for stealing a blueprint

-----

I recommend saving before you launch your EMP bomb. When you launch the EMP bomb, try to launch it at a decently large flat surface. If you launch it at something small or curved, like a tube, your 4 data leaks could be a real pain in the ass to find. So much so that when I detonate, and I don't see all four right away, ill usually just reload that save game and find another location. I don't want to be hunting for data leaks while in a spacesuit and the police are shooting at you. They can/will kill you if they can get a clean shot.

While the station may go hostile to you, it does not go hostile to your ship(that I've seen yet), so you can leave your ship close, or send him off 20-30km and teleport to him afterwards, or have him dock at another station entirely and teleport to that station when completed.

-----

If you are not sure where the module you want is, go to your map. On the left side, you'll see a list of stations that are in your range. The station you are eyeballing should be there. You'll have to do a general scan of the station first, to identify the different parts. So just fly around, tagging a good chunk of it. Once you've flown around, and tagged a bunch of the parts, if you hit the plus sign next to the station on the map, it will break down all the modules. and you can click on the one you want. In the screenshot, I've highlighted the Microchip section, which is the main production part of a High Tech plant, a blueprint which I do not have! Rectified that during this op. If nothing else, you should know what the docks look like, so you can kind of work your way from the docks to other modules if you are not sure what something looks like. Usually the production plants are very distinct in their look, and look like nothing else on the station, unless they have multiple Microchip plants. This is a zoomed in view of the plant.

Highlighted Microchip Production module on a High Tech Station

Not all NPC station names let you know what they're selling. Items like Refined Metals, Superfluid Coolant, the Tier 1 products, are often on stations named Refined Goods. So if you're looking for a specific Tier 1 product, you can try using your trade filters for the item being sold somewhere, and there is a good chance it's produced there too.

If you are not sure which blueprints you have already, you can go to your PHQ, plan build, and flip through them real quick. They are in the upper left corner. Also, modules are different for different species. If you plan on having Teladi on your station, you need to feed them Teladi food, which means you need to have a Teladi habitat, and teladi food producing modules. Teladi won't eat that nasty food from an Argon food rations building. They want their succulent Teladi foods.

Showing the plan build option on your PHQ

For the modules in this picture, "Other Modules", each module has a symbol in the upper right corner. That tells you what species it belongs to. The Split look like a Y, the Paranid look like a circle with a triangle in the middle, the Terran looks like a man spread eagle inside a circle, the Argon look like a moon behind a moon, and the Teladi look like... well, i don't know. It's weird looking.

Here are production modules I've gotten so far. SOME are species specific(look in the upper right corner of each module), like I mentioned earlier. Argon Food Rations will be needed for Argon workers. Medical supplies are universal though. So if you're making Argon food rations, it's easy to make Argon Medical supplies as they share some resources. But any race will accept Medical Supplies, regardless of how it was made. Food though, is specific.

The stations may get angry and send police to try and kill you, or they may not. Easy way to deal with this though, find some place, if you can, inside the module, away from traffic patterns. If the station does get angry, it is only temporary, the station in 20-30 minutes will go back to being normal, and no rep loss.

There are other ways to "steal" them, by failing the repair data leaks missions. But this is for stealing in the nefarious/criminal/pirate sense, not the inept/bumbling/failing a mission sense.
Last edited by grapedog on Fri, 7. Apr 23, 19:14, edited 13 times in total.

grapedog
x4

Re: Guide on Stealing Blueprints - With Pictures

Post by grapedog » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 19:38

Reserved.

foxxbl
x4

Post by foxxbl » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 23:25

grapedog wrote:
Tue, 11. Dec 18, 19:36
First, for the Remote Detonators, the best way I've found to get them is to be scanning stations, and look for the pinwheel fuzzy sparkle leaks. Those are usually black market missions, and black marketeers sell detonators. Now, if you get a quest to deliver them remote detonators, they won't have any to buy, but if you get a quest to deliver them anything else(spacefly eggs, unstable crystals, caviar, decryption modules, etc...), they should have remote detonators for sale. They sell lots of good, useful stuff, for completing OTHER black marketeer missions as well. So stock up! I've never seen them sell Spacesuit EMP's... they might, but it's probably rare.
Great guide!!

Note:
Remote Detonators can be bought in large quantities from Black Marketeers in HAT Free Port (in my game in Second Contact VII) and SCA Pirate Base (in my game Silent Witness XII)
Sometimes even EMP bombs can be bought from them.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 23:49

foxxbl wrote:
Tue, 11. Dec 18, 23:25
grapedog wrote:
Tue, 11. Dec 18, 19:36
First, for the Remote Detonators, the best way I've found to get them is to be scanning stations, and look for the pinwheel fuzzy sparkle leaks. Those are usually black market missions, and black marketeers sell detonators. Now, if you get a quest to deliver them remote detonators, they won't have any to buy, but if you get a quest to deliver them anything else(spacefly eggs, unstable crystals, caviar, decryption modules, etc...), they should have remote detonators for sale. They sell lots of good, useful stuff, for completing OTHER black marketeer missions as well. So stock up! I've never seen them sell Spacesuit EMP's... they might, but it's probably rare.
Great guide!!

Note:
Remote Detonators can be bought in large quantities from Black Marketeers in HAT Free Port (in my game in Second Contact VII) and SCA Pirate Base (in my game Silent Witness XII)
Sometimes even EMP bombs can be bought from them.
Just went and tested this for myself, and they did have a bunch of Black Market items for sale, at a HAT Free Port. I'll update my post, thanks!

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 09:10

I just straight up buy the EMP bombs from the Free Port traders.

It's worth a note that not all bluerpints are worth the time, effort and the potential hazard to EMP them out. I have a rull of thumb to buy any blueprint from the faction rep under 500k.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Wed, 12. Dec 18, 21:21

csaba wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 09:10

It's worth a note that not all bluerpints are worth the time, effort and the potential hazard to EMP them out. I have a rull of thumb to buy any blueprint from the faction rep under 500k.
I posted my guide to Reddit as well, and just this morning someone mentioned the same thing. So I went and checked it out, and I found them for sale in limited quantities. I'm about to update my post to reflect that info. The EMP's cost about 125k, so I would imagine if it's a cheap enough blueprint, it's better to buy the blueprint as opposed to spending the 125k to emp to steal it. But crafted EMP's are much cheaper cost wise, only about 25k in crafting materials. Thanks for the info though!

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 00:03

grapedog wrote:
Wed, 12. Dec 18, 21:21
csaba wrote:

I posted my guide to Reddit as well, and just this morning someone mentioned the same thing. So I went and checked it out, and I found them for sale in limited quantities. I'm about to update my post to reflect that info. The EMP's cost about 125k, so I would imagine if it's a cheap enough blueprint, it's better to buy the blueprint as opposed to spending the 125k to emp to steal it. But crafted EMP's are much cheaper cost wise, only about 25k in crafting materials. Thanks for the info though!
Worth to also note that not all blueprints are used by the factions. For example I have a 1 dock pier blueprint I bought directly (breaking my 500k rule) cause I couldn't find it anywhere but it's ideal for my defense station that doesn't see much trade action.

Regarding police and rep: the first bomb doesn't seem to infer permanent faction rep drop even if the station turns red. The second however starts dropping it. Just noticed this since I had to bomb a drone component facility 4 times to get the BP...

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 00:22

csaba wrote:
Thu, 13. Dec 18, 00:03
grapedog wrote:
csaba wrote:

Worth to also note that not all blueprints are used by the factions. For example I have a 1 dock pier blueprint I bought directly (breaking my 500k rule) cause I couldn't find it anywhere but it's ideal for my defense station that doesn't see much trade action.

Regarding police and rep: the first bomb doesn't seem to infer permanent faction rep drop even if the station turns red. The second however starts dropping it. Just noticed this since I had to bomb a drone component facility 4 times to get the BP...
Why did you have to do it 4 times? I've stolen about 20 blueprints this way now, and never NOT gotten the blueprint with the 1 emp bomb... one of the 4 leaks has always had the blueprint.

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 08:40

grapedog wrote:
Thu, 13. Dec 18, 00:22
csaba wrote:
grapedog wrote:

Why did you have to do it 4 times? I've stolen about 20 blueprints this way now, and never NOT gotten the blueprint with the 1 emp bomb... one of the 4 leaks has always had the blueprint.
Sometimes data leaks spawn inside the structure. The Drone component one has to be the most bugged on I met so far. Basically 2 out 4 spawned inside each time and I was not to be bothered by reloading.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 10:32

csaba wrote:
Thu, 13. Dec 18, 08:40
grapedog wrote:
Thu, 13. Dec 18, 00:22
csaba wrote:

Sometimes data leaks spawn inside the structure. The Drone component one has to be the most bugged on I met so far. Basically 2 out 4 spawned inside each time and I was not to be bothered by reloading.
Ahh, ok. Yeah, I saw that once or twice, now I look for a decent sized flat space to launch the EMP. That issue makes it a pain sometimes because not every structure has that perfect spot.

PreSpawn
x4

Post by PreSpawn » Sat, 15. Dec 18, 16:20

Video: https://youtu.be/ACXHEKjrRWU
If you got the leaks on the inside: In the Spacesuit, you have put some distance between you an the station, so that you can build up your speed to max.(16m/s?). You
will need the thruster. Then thrust towards a flat surface in a 90° angle. And voila you are on the inside. The same way you can get out again. Or by teleport.
Have to export a video of that too sometime...
X2: Ace of Aces 2nd - Advanced Mogul
X3: Overlord - Master Industrialist
XTM: Battlemaster - Manufacturer
X3TC: Hero - Capitalist
X3AP: Battlemaster - Manufacturer (146 Stunden)
XR: (108 Stunden)
X4: (224 Stunden) (https://www.twitch.tv/andimech)

Buill
x4

Post by Buill » Sun, 16. Dec 18, 11:00

Thanks for the guide !

The first time I did this it worked perfectly without issue.

Now I keep tring and I never have the leaks spawning after triggering the bomb !!???
I tried on multiple different stations and now always the same, the bomb explodes and nothing appear, it's extremely annoying.
Does someone have any clue of what can be the problem and what to do ?

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Sun, 16. Dec 18, 11:59

Buill wrote:
Sun, 16. Dec 18, 11:00
Thanks for the guide !

The first time I did this it worked perfectly without issue.

Now I keep tring and I never have the leaks spawning after triggering the bomb !!???
I tried on multiple different stations and now always the same, the bomb explodes and nothing appear, it's extremely annoying.
Does someone have any clue of what can be the problem and what to do ?
Only thing I can think of, are you maybe using the Spacesuit Bomb, and not the Spacesuit EMP?

Buill
x4

Post by Buill » Sun, 16. Dec 18, 12:20

Yes that was it, Thanks, didn't see that there were 2 types of bomb, and translation is not good

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Sun, 16. Dec 18, 21:13

Buill wrote:
Sun, 16. Dec 18, 12:20
Yes that was it, Thanks, didn't see that there were 2 types of bomb, and translation is not good
Glad to hear it!

I haven't tried it yet, but I think the spacesuit bomb is for when you get a mission to sabotage turrets, but not hack them, I think you can blow them up with the bomb.

PreSpawn
x4

Post by PreSpawn » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 08:31

Hehe, got a Video for everything: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJIS1WdLImg
Or when you can't get past an array of tracking-turrets, spamming missile after missile at you...

Miskarr1

Post by Miskarr1 » Wed, 19. Dec 18, 05:08

I fire the EMP and detonate it. I get four bits of "trash" appear on the side of the module. The glowing things denoting data leaks appear, but they are grey and not orange/red, and I don't appear to be able to hack them. any ideas?

PreSpawn
x4

Post by PreSpawn » Wed, 19. Dec 18, 09:40

Miskarr1 wrote:
Wed, 19. Dec 18, 05:08
I fire the EMP and detonate it. I get four bits of "trash" appear on the side of the module. The glowing things denoting data leaks appear, but they are grey and not orange/red, and I don't appear to be able to hack them. any ideas?
Activate ScanMode Shift+2

Grimmrog
x4

Post by Grimmrog » Wed, 19. Dec 18, 12:14

Well, thats an efficient guide if you have less time and a lot emp's. And don't mind more aggressive methods.

I stick with the general statuion scanning, because once you have the research stations usually have a few dataleaks, but it requires more luck getting them on the module you want and then also rolling the blueprint on this leak. (or you safe scum if thats what one may like).

Miskarr1

Post by Miskarr1 » Thu, 20. Dec 18, 01:27

PreSpawn wrote:
Wed, 19. Dec 18, 09:40
Activate ScanMode Shift+2
I could have sworn that I was in scan mode, but thought "I better go check" - and sure enough. Thanks for the reminder. It works now.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”