Do we *need* the PHQ?

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

leecarter
x3tc

Do we *need* the PHQ?

Post by leecarter » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 14:11

I've done the mission for it twice now, but haven't added the dock yet because I've just been restarting and noodling around until the economy gets fixed. But other than...
Spoiler
Show
researching new techs,
does the PHQ have any unique abilities that can't be replicated by just building standard stations?

csaba
x4

Re: Do we *need* the PHQ?

Post by csaba » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 14:32

It’s a free max size plot in a relatively central position. Which aren’t expensive anyway. With 20+ rep I bought a max size one for 8 mil in Ianamus Zura.

Just plop the basic dock on it and research the techs.

It’s in the middle of an ice field. Mine has water production which nets a low but steady income since food is consumed regardless of a stalled economy.

Otherwise custom stations are much cleaner and less buggy without the asteroid in the middle.

leecarter
x3tc

Post by leecarter » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 14:43

Thanks. I may just cheat in the techs and skip the PHQ entirely then. :D

captainradish
x4

Post by captainradish » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 15:59

leecarter wrote:
Mon, 10. Dec 18, 14:43
I'm not even really sure the techs are worth it. I find teleportation to be cheaty, the modules don't unlock often enough on scans, and the ship tweaks rely too much on combat.

leecarter
x3tc

Post by leecarter » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 16:08

captainradish wrote:
Mon, 10. Dec 18, 15:59
I'm not even really sure the techs are worth it. I find teleportation to be cheaty, the modules don't unlock often enough on scans, and the ship tweaks rely too much on combat.
I've seen the tech tree, it's basically a demo (like a lot of this game currently). On the upside it's looks pretty expandable so future state of research could be very cool.

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 16:28

captainradish wrote:
leecarter wrote:

Some of the mods are quite nice and duct tape some of the issues the ship designs have. Like the lack of damage on the destroyer main guns.

I also use a cooling mod on my Buzzard’s bolt weapons that makes it 100% more enjoyable.

The increased crew capacity is awesome if you want to use the bombers for boarding large ships instead of the slow as whale frigates.

The 3rd tier mods are hard to collect but I suspect that it’s because of the lack of fighting in the current game version.

The travel thrust mods are self explanatory.

Etc.

captainradish
x4

Post by captainradish » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 17:43

csaba wrote:
Mon, 10. Dec 18, 16:28
captainradish wrote:
leecarter wrote:

Some of the mods are quite nice and duct tape some of the issues the ship designs have. Like the lack of damage on the destroyer main guns.

I also use a cooling mod on my Buzzard’s bolt weapons that makes it 100% more enjoyable.

The increased crew capacity is awesome if you want to use the bombers for boarding large ships instead of the slow as whale frigates.

The 3rd tier mods are hard to collect but I suspect that it’s because of the lack of fighting in the current game version.

The travel thrust mods are self explanatory.

Etc.
The mods are nice and I use them whenever possible, it's just for pacifist merchants like I am the parts are hard to get. I usually end up ignoring them.

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 17:50

captainradish wrote:
Mon, 10. Dec 18, 17:43

The mods are nice and I use them whenever possible, it's just for pacifist merchants like I am the parts are hard to get. I usually end up ignoring them.
Well once war is fixed you can loiter around large fleet battles where probably 100s of them drop and pick up all the mods without firing a shot.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”