Newbie looking to start a project or two or x4

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

eggplantemoji

Newbie looking to start a project or two or x4

Post by eggplantemoji » Thu, 23. Mar 23, 15:14

I can see there's resources to learn how to mod and stuff. But before I go through months of learning I'd like to know if my project idea would even be possible in x4 modding.

So what I would have planned is having my own mini projects to practice each thing I would need to do for a bigger project. The big project would essentially be something like recreating part of another game but in x4. I don't have a specific choice yet but I can give an example. Let's say I chose to remake part of the story from freelancer up to the second mission. Could I have it be substantially similar to how it plays out in the actual game. So could I create unique maps, gates, bases, ships, animations, highways, backgrounds, voices, sounds, cutscenes, character models, missions. How close could I get it to an original game. Are there things not possible to do either in the game or modding that would make this idea hard or impossible?

Like if anybody played the ffvii remake then you know how it does have that original game feel despite being remade. That's what I'm after. I'm hoping since I would just choose a small portion of something that it's achieveable.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: Newbie looking to start a project or two or x4

Post by euclid » Thu, 23. Mar 23, 17:11

Welcome eggplantemoji :-)

In theory it is possible but it would be a mayor task and some parts, especially everything related to meshes, textures and characters, may not be feasible. If you check the mods listed in the sticky threads here you'll find some of them are part of what you have in mind and you can learn the problems and tricks of coding those. I also recommend you "test" your ideas by attempting to create a less ambitious "smaller" mod first to get a feeling for the problems to expect when coding a more complex mod.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

eggplantemoji

Re: Newbie looking to start a project or two or x4

Post by eggplantemoji » Sat, 8. Apr 23, 23:32

I watched some videos from developers recently describing how much work it really is for example in creating all the new content for the latest expansion. It does indeed seem ambitious. I've definitely been able to follow along with some mods for other games so that definitely sounds like a good plan to start. If even one day I could only manage to create a single mission that would be a good achievement.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”