Need help whith textures

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

XOSPECTRE

Need help whith textures

Post by XOSPECTRE » Tue, 21. Feb 23, 23:12

What ever im trying put anything texture related to x4 doesnt work i tried everything gimp photoshop all plugins on all githubs forums everything all unpacking renaming to dds importing to gimp exporting as dds removing dds format packing again into gz whith 7z ... nothing just work even if i do exactly as EVERYONE ON INTERNET SAYS .

. hardcore frustration how everyone is lying about process of doing textures and noone acctually helps i even offered money lots of money and even after that noone say how to really make texture what work in game.....

for example i just tried changegame start picture and no f way to do it i give u my email contact phone number if anyone teach menhow to change textures andndo modeling for x4 i give u 2 000 £ for start.. but i belive i just get link on somenold forum where 404 not found ....its like if u want understand x4 game story u have to double click on icon in steam .... grrr or is it some super secret society who is chosen to make mods ?

Axeface
x4

Re: Need help whith textures

Post by Axeface » Tue, 21. Feb 23, 23:58

To make a mod that replaces a stock texture you need to have the .gz file (as you said, dds with extension removed and packed into a gz) with the correct folder structure, and then you need to use the x tools to pack the mod into a a "subst_01" archive, not the usual "ext_01".
subst_01 archives override vanilla assets (if folder structure is correct).

Eg, if I wanted to change the vanilla paranid hull texture I would make my texture, pack it into extensions\mymod\assets\textures\paranid\paranid_p1_hullpattern_01_diff.gz and then use x tools to archive it into subst_01.cat/dat in my mod folder.

XOSPECTRE

Post by XOSPECTRE » Wed, 22. Feb 23, 03:43

I have no problem whith file structure i just try to replace it directly in 01 dat files in root of game just to prove my self texture doesnt work and if i open unpacked gz texture and rename it to dds and open in gimp or photoshop nothing shows i just cant open any texture thats problem or its open wrong i dont know wtv texture viewer shows something invisble but canr extract it just viewer

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Wed, 22. Feb 23, 15:28

I use gimp2 (https://www.gimp.org/downloads/) to view dds files, but that cant open bc7 dds iirc, for those I use paint.net. If gimp2 isnt working for you Im not sure whats going on with your textures.

XOSPECTRE

Post by XOSPECTRE » Wed, 22. Feb 23, 23:11

I finnaly manage open dds in gimp except that gamestart images for some reason.. but nee break from textures fails now in trying import obj model into blender and nothing shows in blender just cube and camera but i can see i right menu there is model but i can see like only one polygon one point what ever is it. I wish u would agree to send me model whith textures to exportdata for game... its not even complicated model just large ship one solid model

XOSPECTRE

Post by XOSPECTRE » Thu, 23. Feb 23, 02:00

Ooo finally some succes i managed yo change textures omg that tooks me 3 weeks to move forward.. good job assistant .. i mean my friend hehe

XOSPECTRE

Post by XOSPECTRE » Thu, 23. Feb 23, 17:46

Axeface wrote:
Tue, 21. Feb 23, 23:58
To make a mod that replaces a stock texture you need to have the .gz file (as you said, dds with extension removed and packed into a gz) with the correct folder structure, and then you need to use the x tools to pack the mod into a a "subst_01" archive, not the usual "ext_01".
subst_01 archives override vanilla assets (if folder structure is correct).

Eg, if I wanted to change the vanilla paranid hull texture I would make my texture, pack it into extensions\mymod\assets\textures\paranid\paranid_p1_hullpattern_01_diff.gz and then use x tools to archive it into subst_01.cat/dat in my mod folder.
Thats what im missing i was so angry i didnt read propperly u are hero

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Thu, 23. Feb 23, 17:58

Glad you got it working! Grats

XOSPECTRE

Post by XOSPECTRE » Fri, 24. Feb 23, 00:28

Could i get some advice how to export dae models into game i ttied xr converter buy cant open it.. i tried this lines XRConvertersmain.exe importxmf D:\<Game_Root_Directory> in comand promt in win but i belive im doing it wrong. I have it on main disk c: not in game folder im just lost in here

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”