Cat files not unpacking properly

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

AiurZealot
x4

Cat files not unpacking properly

Post by AiurZealot » Sun, 5. Feb 23, 19:38

I am trying to extract the faction logos for use in game, but every time I try the end file is just "file". I have tried using the XRcat tool, winrar, 7zip, and winzip, yet nothing has made any difference.

What am I doing wrong? Any advice would be very appreciated.

Dj_FRedy
x4

Re: Cat files not unpacking properly

Post by Dj_FRedy » Mon, 6. Feb 23, 05:16

I don't have any problems with XRCatToolGU, make sure you have the latest version of the tool:
https://www.egosoft.com/download/x4/bonus_en.php

· With the tool open, import the file '01.cat' into the content window by pressing the 'Import catalogs' button or dragging it, wait for the files to load.
· Sort the files by 'Path', by pressing the Path cell in the content window.
· The path for the logos is: 'assets/fx/gui/textures/player_logos'. Select the files and press the 'Extract' button. A window will open to select an output folder. The files are extracted to that folder.

Edit: The resulting files will have the file extension 'gz'. The files packed inside are the textures, to which you will have to add the extension '.dds' to be able to view or open them with whatever editing software you usually use.

If you have any questions, don't doubt to ask.
"All my contributions to the Technical Support and Public Beta Feedback sections will be concise and to the point, no diatribes, that's what the other sections are for".
Thank you for your efforts.

AiurZealot
x4

Re: Cat files not unpacking properly

Post by AiurZealot » Mon, 6. Feb 23, 18:02

Dj_FRedy wrote:
Mon, 6. Feb 23, 05:16
I don't have any problems with XRCatToolGU, make sure you have the latest version of the tool:
https://www.egosoft.com/download/x4/bonus_en.php

· With the tool open, import the file '01.cat' into the content window by pressing the 'Import catalogs' button or dragging it, wait for the files to load.
· Sort the files by 'Path', by pressing the Path cell in the content window.
· The path for the logos is: 'assets/fx/gui/textures/player_logos'. Select the files and press the 'Extract' button. A window will open to select an output folder. The files are extracted to that folder.

Edit: The resulting files will have the file extension 'gz'. The files packed inside are the textures, to which you will have to add the extension '.dds' to be able to view or open them with whatever editing software you usually use.

If you have any questions, don't doubt to ask.
Thank you so much. That worked beautifully!

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”