Can hull shields be added to Station Modules?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Scoob
x4

Can hull shields be added to Station Modules?

Post by Scoob » Wed, 1. Feb 23, 14:11

Hi,

I was wondering whether it's possible to add hull shields to Station Modules. Currently, defence modules are really rather weak with a few hits destroying them easily. I've often destroyed an entire defence module while just trying to snipe a turret or two. This seems a little silly.

If defence modules could have physical shields (L or XL-Class) added to the module at build time, that'd really help make them less squishy. Or some sort of built-in shield so they just have shields, but without extra modules needing to be placed on the model.

We really need true "Military" defence modules that are well-shielded to compliment the existing "civilian" ones. I find it crazy that I can build a huge defence station with loads of defence modules able to quickly obliterate most things (unless I'm OOS of course *sigh*) but they are also so very easily destroyed.

Bumping the hull strength - along with hull parts cost - of these modules would of course help a LOT, given how weak they are. However, having these modules have proper hull shields would be cool. Not sure if anyone has ever done this, if it's even possible. It's always struck me as a little odd that no station module is fully shielded.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Can hull shields be added to Station Modules?

Post by Imperial Good » Wed, 1. Feb 23, 16:41

I think stations not having shields is by design to encourage the use of ships as defences rather than just stations being enough.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Wed, 1. Feb 23, 18:29

Imperial Good wrote:
Wed, 1. Feb 23, 16:41
I think stations not having shields is by design to encourage the use of ships as defences rather than just stations being enough.
I'm sure there are reasons for their absence, but I'd like to know if it's possible to mod this aspect of the game.

Folker
x4

Post by Folker » Wed, 1. Feb 23, 21:37

I think that possible, i think is like ship, but I'm afraid to say something stupid. But the configuration of station was similar as ship.

But if is not possible you can modifie the hull of the station, I give you an vro extract who make an demostration for modify the hull :

The repertorie is : X4foundation / extension / vro / assets / sturctures / defence / macro / defence_arg_claim_01_macro.xml

Like you can see, it's for an argon revendication module.

It is the programation :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<diff>
<replace sel="//macros/macro[@name='defence_arg_claim_01_macro']/properties/hull">
<hull max="756000" />
</replace>
</diff>

Sorry for my bad english, I don't speak courtesy this language
Last edited by Folker on Wed, 1. Feb 23, 21:57, edited 2 times in total.

Folker
x4

Post by Folker » Wed, 1. Feb 23, 21:52

Folker wrote:
Wed, 1. Feb 23, 21:37
I think that possible, i think is like ship, but I'm afraid to say something stupid. But the configuration of station was similar as ship.

But if is not possible you can modifie the hull of the station, I give you an vro extract who make an demostration for modify the hull :
The repertory on vro is : X4foundation / extension / vro / assets / sturctures / defence / defence_arg_disc_01_xml

This is for an argon defence disc.

If fonctionning like ship, you can test :

<connection name="con_shieldgen_l_1" tags="large shield hittable">
<offset>
<position x="0" y="-26" z="7"/>
<rotation pitch="0" yaw="0" roll="180"/>
</offset>
</connection>

No assigns at group it's very important, if you do that the shield protect the group and not the ship (if functionning like ship).
So you should to make the same things of this exemple, I think is good but I'm not sure, the only way to know is to test.

It is for make L shield on the station but, the only things that you can modifie is the position and adjust in function of your structure and ajust step by step

If you want to add an other, make the same opperation but put an other number like con_shieldgen_l_2

I wish you a good test, and I hope it will work

Casishur
x4

Post by Casishur » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 18:40

the code works so far. it creates a shield module. But it does not protect the defence module itself.

It was a few years ago in 2019 that I brought up the issue of the missing shields for the modules themselves in the German forum.

I haven't found a direct way to give shields to Station modules yet. At most a workaround, in which I made the collision model of the modules themselves as a shield, but it only protects if you are present and out of sector does not work. But since I have problems with the wreck, I left it out and so you had to upgrade the shield element every time, because it disappears after destruction.

I hope you find a solution. I would also be happy about it.
CPU Typ Ryzen 9 3900x
Grafikkarte Radeon RX 6600 XT 8GB
Arbeitsspeicher: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200MHz
Motherboard Name/Typ MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Win 10 64 bit

Betty : Autopilot.... hat.... total Versagt.

Twitch https://www.twitch.tv/Casishur

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 19:09

Thanks for the replies.

I did add hull shields to ships in the release version of X Rebirth - still shocking it didn't have them - but got pipped to the post by someone else. Of course, Egosoft added them in quite quickly.

I am actually using VRO currently, but Defence Modules still seem so very weak. I could add hull relatively easily, as mentioned, but I would prefer a shield. If I get time over the weekend, I'll have a tinker. Thanks for the tips and pointers.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”