Problems when changing an existing mod

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Reisser
x4

Problems when changing an existing mod

Post by Reisser » Thu, 26. May 22, 15:22

Since many mods were unfortunately no longer adapted for 5.1, I wanted to give it a try. Even modding is not in it, but I should be able to make a few changes - I thought :)

Here: the pretty nice venture mod.

However, the scripts are in a dat file - i.e. opened with Notepad++, changed a few lines - and ... nothing. The mod no longer loads.

Then reduced further down until only one comment line remained - and: still not loading.

Then it occurred to me that the dat file may have to be rebuilt, has a hash value or something else. Does anyone here have any advice?
Meine Mods bei NexusMods: RS Loss Report RS Bribe for Scandata RS Colors RS Marine Special Training
Meine Mod-Collection bei NexusMods: X4 VRO Reloaded

kuertee
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Problems when changing an existing mod

Post by kuertee » Thu, 26. May 22, 17:47

Reisser wrote:
Thu, 26. May 22, 15:22
Since many mods were unfortunately no longer adapted for 5.1, I wanted to give it a try. Even modding is not in it, but I should be able to make a few changes - I thought :)

Here: the pretty nice venture mod.

However, the scripts are in a dat file - i.e. opened with Notepad++, changed a few lines - and ... nothing. The mod no longer loads.

Then reduced further down until only one comment line remained - and: still not loading.

Then it occurred to me that the dat file may have to be rebuilt, has a hash value or something else. Does anyone here have any advice?
you'll need to first extract the mod's dat file with the extractor tool linked in the pinned modding hints, tips and tutorials at the top of this forum.
then make the changes.
then repackage it back into the dat file.

updating an old mod to a newer version of the game may require some knowledge of the newer game's changes (that made the old mod incompatible).
to do that you'll need to exact the base game's dat files so that you can investigate what is required to make the old mod work in newer versions.

i suggest you go through the info in hints, tips and tutorials.
Mods: RPG: Reputations and Professions, Social Standings and Citizenships, Crime has Consequences, Alternatives to Death. Missions/NPCs: Emergent Missions, NPC Reactions, Mod Parts Trader, High-sec Rooms are Locked, Hacking Outcomes, More Generic Missions, Waypoint Fields for Deployment. Others: Auto-cam, Friendly Fire Tweaks, Teleport From Transporter Room, Wear and Tear. QoL: Trade Analytics, Loot Mining, Ship Scanner, Signal Leak Hunter, Station Scanner, Surface Element Targeting, etc.

Reisser
x4

Post by Reisser » Thu, 26. May 22, 18:16

Yes - thanks! I will look for it.

Indeed, the mod works fine in 5.10 - but it's too overpowered - and there are the new ships (for rewards) missing - but this is second (i even don't like the terran ship :D )
Meine Mods bei NexusMods: RS Loss Report RS Bribe for Scandata RS Colors RS Marine Special Training

Reisser
x4

Post by Reisser » Fri, 27. May 22, 15:38

Yes! Went fine. Now we habe at least terran/yaki ships in Venture-loot, less crew with less skill, less skillgain for the venture-crews and less big ships at the end.
Next thing on my agenda: TOA-Ships

But: it's ok to find half-abandoned ships on ventures ... but the have to be in that condition.

So: after creating the ship with <create_ship name=.... > - how can i strip of weapons / shields - not all - but also quite a bit :?

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”