[REALSPACE MODS] "STARS" - "XRSGE" - "REM" - various

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

ziplock815

Re: [REALSPACE MODS] Galaxy Remake: "STARS" - "Engines Mod" - "X4RSGE"

Post by ziplock815 » Tue, 3. Oct 23, 12:03

Hi Realspace. I've accidentily put Split DLC file from the XRSGE patch to split DLC folder. Does it affect anything? Should I reinstall the game to fix this since didn't backup DLC files? I wouldn't like to start a new game after 100+hours again :lol:

Carath
x4

Post by Carath » Tue, 3. Oct 23, 14:11

Thanks for the awesome update!

Is the accelerator between Sonra VIII and Sonra VI broken? I don't think ships are able to go through...

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Tue, 3. Oct 23, 14:24

ziplock815 wrote:
Tue, 3. Oct 23, 12:03
Harmless, just a background and in a sector that does not even exist in base game, but is in the split quadrant so I use the dlc's directory. It is replaced by latest XRSGE anyway, download latest 6.2.5
Carath wrote:
Tue, 3. Oct 23, 14:11
To check that everything is allright start a new game with map revealed. If they work, the issue is an old save that does not update. That gate had to be accelerator but was corrected 2 versions ago...strange

Carath
x4

Post by Carath » Tue, 3. Oct 23, 14:48

Yes, I can see that it is still a gate in Sonra VI in my save. Works ok with a new start. Any way to fix that, or do I need to move my assets to a new game?

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Tue, 3. Oct 23, 15:18

Nono, try making some save/reload. If not working I can make a Quick patch dont worry, it s just a matter or adding new gates while silencing the old ones.
In the meantime check that it should work anyway, accelerator to gate normally work, even if it is weird
Last edited by Realspace on Tue, 3. Oct 23, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

Carath
x4

Post by Carath » Tue, 3. Oct 23, 15:36

Thank you!

Save/reload did not fix it :(

Carath
x4

Post by Carath » Wed, 4. Oct 23, 14:21

Still no go :|

Mystershow
x4

Post by Mystershow » Wed, 4. Oct 23, 15:12

I've tried a few more battles with XL jump

You can jump in a Xenon sector, bait them and jump back in a friendly sector and they will jump as well

So it can be useful to clear a xenon's sector of XL ships and it be can use as a way to gain faction reputation

It seems thats if you destroy the engine, the ships are unable to jump and loop the jump animation. Disabling a I is still a tricky to do.

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Thu, 5. Oct 23, 03:00

I've noticed some graphical glitches on the map with new asteroid and resource areas view on the map (asteroinds and resource clouds start to rotate when I use hw). It becomes noticable when moving through highway. Also, it causes fps loss on the map interface.

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Mon, 9. Oct 23, 22:46

Hey Realspace, I decided to give this a try to see how it plays. I am not trying to be combative here so please don't take this the wrong way but there seems to be some major performance issues with this. Unless I am doing something wrong here, so if that is the case then let me know.

I have a top of the line PC, i9-13900k CPU, Nvidia 4090, Samsung M2 drive, 64 GB DDR 3 ram, etc. Everything is top shelf and there really shouldn't be any bottlenecks with the system. I am seeing some major drops and strange stuttering when using this mod. I tested it out with only this mod (with STARS and REM and also the RESHADE) and no other mods, so it can't be anything else. Just when I start out with the young gun start and I am on a defense station with no ship, I run around the station. FPS keeps dropping from 90 to 60 and every few seconds of running there is like a stutter (with like a split second freeze). I have every graphical option set to the highest except no antialiasing or SSAO as you say in your instructions for the reshade. It should be smoother than this. When I am in my ship and flying near stations, FPS is dropping even more to like 50 or so. When I open the map, it also drops to like 50. Again, I haven't even bought any ships yet so I can't imagine how bad it will be when I have a fleet of ships or in a big battle.

To give a comparison, with Vanilla and no mods, I am at 140fps with all graphics on (and your RESHADE). It is around 120 fps with the map open so it is a pretty big difference here. Just trying to get to the bottom of this, is this just me experiencing this? Obviously I am aware that this mod adds many sectors, ships, stations, etc. over Vanilla but the drop in FPS and the weird short stutters make it very difficult for me to play with the mod and that is when I have just one ship. Again, what will it be like when I have a fleet and many stations? I feel like it will be unplayable maybe. Is there any solution to this that is already known?

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Wed, 11. Oct 23, 02:01

Well..things go better after the start. Universe is huge and economy starts already running. Usually there is not a big difference in late game except in big battles. If you don't use the jump to gate minimod that causes massive slowdowns, the reason is the size of universe. Almost everything that is calculated (regions, stations, trade jobs) is 4-5x so it is expected from vanilla to this. Graphics should not cause any. Yes planets and backgrounds have more details than vanilla with stars mod (new planets and new nebulae are activated only in xrsge) but the burden is in the simulation. But, as told, late game is not worse. Economy is set very fast.
Let me know how it goes further in the game. Stutters are not normal after some time and some save/reload.
One thing that started happening after 6.0 is some errors in the loading of background meshes. I just suppose bc of the new collision or something related. If you see a lot of errors about cluster_x background etc then just reload the game to speed things up.

NitramAkloh
x4

Post by NitramAkloh » Wed, 11. Oct 23, 18:35

Hello realspace, I like the mod because the gameplay is different from the vanilla game. Exploring is fun, but I have to chalk up a few things that others may have already noted:

1. Some highways (e.g. big reef) don't work properly. The autopilot or AI pilots often use it only in one direction, namely sector inwards. If I pilot the ship myself, I can navigate them manually, but now I come to the 2nd problem.

2. That concerns the engine mod. The drift speed seems to be much too high. I know you want to give a realistic flight feel. If this would only affect me myself, it would even be a cool challenge. But even there the AI doesn't play along. The best example are the docking procedures, extremely on other ships. No matter if I'm in the sector or outside, the AI pilot always drifts past the ship for ages and only after about 10 attempts he finally manages to dock. This is a bit... time consuming.

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Tue, 17. Oct 23, 03:02

Small bug: jumpgate in Sonra 6 to Sonra 7 doesn't work and it also connects with accelerator, not another jumpgate. Accelerator doesn't work too, even if using autopilot.
In Olmanketslat's Treaty star shines through planet.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Mon, 6. Nov 23, 16:06

NitramAkloh wrote:
Wed, 11. Oct 23, 18:35
I provided highways for max flexibility but I myself play without them. They are not needed, I tweaked a lot of things such long range scanner both for findings things as derelict ships and superhighways. You can play without highways. I can't provide any other support on that.
About REM, that is a known limitation of the AI that latest version somehow mitigates but still persists. I wont' investigate further for now because I tried several changes to the AI but none worked. One can play XRSGE without REM.
ziplock815 wrote:
Tue, 17. Oct 23, 03:02
The accelerator/gate in Sonra was discussed a few posts above, it was fixed in latest version.

Btw guys I consider the mod finished for now. I've lost interest in X4, due to the above limitations but also to the general setting of the game where empire's management is the main focus. Nothing wrong with that but I feel it is not my cup of tea. I made several additions to make it a better "lonely explorer" kind of game with XRSGE.

I've gone back to X Rebirth. It suits better to my taste, especially with all the mods that are available that made a similar thing as I did with XRSGE. Thanks to the modding mates I can play it with several added systems and redone vanilla systems, without the need by my part to redo everything as I had to do with X4.

Also, atmosphere is thousands time more immersive in Rebirth, not to mention some limits of X4 as for instance the area to spread regions. In Rebirth they can be put everywhere making the space huge to explore. Lastly, my old pc gives me 90fps in Rebirth.

The single ship is not a problem to me and it also allows to tweak it into full newtonian physics while leaving NPC ships vanilla (but faster), which resolves the above issue with AI.

I just wish EGO had done it into a proper RPG game, it had all the cards to be, not the shooter part of other games but the interaction part on foot, while leaving the shooting in space. Anyway, I like it also as it is.

So, for now, see you there (I'll probably add/refresh my mods for Rebirth) Farewell 8)

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Mon, 6. Nov 23, 23:33

Well, that's sad news. Your mod is definitely the best thing that could happen to X4. Really appreciate your gigantic work, hope you'll return soon.
Anyway, I absolutely share your feelings about X4 and devs making it more "empire management" kind of game and that atmosphere was a lot more immersive in X-Rebirth. I like to play it sometimes, but eventually stop because of lack of plots and NPC's diversity, but there're sooooo many things that X4 don't have: corporations, large beautiful sectors (with beautiful music and no awful dark ambient btw), nice ships, big station interiors (they weren't so bad in my opinion), stations themselves were better. So if you're going to refresh some X-Rebirth mods, I'll gladly play it instead of X4.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Tue, 7. Nov 23, 04:12

I could not resist to look inside the files. Rebirth is a bit different in some structures but I think I can quickly catch up. What I like is that many sectors can be added to existing systems, which is what I had tried to achieve in x4. Space is "dense". Less but nice looking systems with lots of sectors is better than many different sectors linked through gates. Also I don't care the missing races, what's the point of different looks if it is the same repetitive layout of random modular stations?
Then many things look better, the lightning, maybe the effects, I don't know but it totally looks more immersive and using reshade makes all pop up, despite being dx9.
Even the fogs, not volumetric, look better and fade in/out in a more pleasant way. Zones look unique and different. Stations are gorgeous and alive. The cockpit(s) of the skunk is great, at the end you play inside not outside the ship. The art design of Rebirth was very good and inspired.
I will probably build on top of other mods that already add new sectors. Have already redone Devrie.

Crux_72
x4

Post by Crux_72 » Fri, 10. Nov 23, 12:22

Realspace wrote:
Tue, 7. Nov 23, 04:12
I could not resist to look inside the files. Rebirth is a bit different in some structures but I think I can quickly catch up. What I like is that many sectors can be added to existing systems, which is what I had tried to achieve in x4. Space is "dense". Less but nice looking systems with lots of sectors is better than many different sectors linked through gates. Also I don't care the missing races, what's the point of different looks if it is the same repetitive layout of random modular stations?
Then many things look better, the lightning, maybe the effects, I don't know but it totally looks more immersive and using reshade makes all pop up, despite being dx9.
Even the fogs, not volumetric, look better and fade in/out in a more pleasant way. Zones look unique and different. Stations are gorgeous and alive. The cockpit(s) of the skunk is great, at the end you play inside not outside the ship. The art design of Rebirth was very good and inspired.
I will probably build on top of other mods that already add new sectors. Have already redone Devrie.

Hey @Realspace

I would also like to thank you - your mod has let me install and play X4 again and I am also overwhelmed. I've also added the 'No Travel Mod' and customised it a bit myself so that the Terrans are the only faction that can use the travel drives - my way of making sense of the Terrans' 'technological superiority'.

Like you, I had given up on X4, because what Egosoft made of it is not mine... X for me was always 'exploration, cosy base building, economy' and not 'space Napoleon'. And I think your mod (and your interpretation of the X universe) are exactly what I was missing. I came here to point out a minor bug and read that you have stopped working on your mod. Understandable, but I would like to inform you that the sector description of Brennans Triumph is identical to that of Farnhams Legend - a small thing, I know, but since you went to so much effort to write your own texts for the sectors, I thought you might want to correct this.

Speaking of the texts; I recognise that most of them are taken 1:1 from the base game, but yours are indistinguishable from the originals - a great achievement. I do regret, however, that the texts are implemented in English only. If this is of interest to you, I would offer to translate the texts into German and make them available to you, just send me a PM. And finally this: I didn't see any possibility to donate to your mod on Nexus, but I would like to do so - and Egosoft should be damn grateful to you, because your mod made me buy the pending DLC's on my second account so that I can play X4 in your interpretation. So once again; if you activate the donation button on Nexus... there would be something from me.

PS: And I also jump into X-Rebirt from time to time - especially the feeling of travelling through space without flight resistance is a highlight for me in XR - besides the one you mentioned.

Thanks for your work here and all the best with your other projects.

Crux

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Thu, 16. Nov 23, 10:59

Crux_72 wrote:
Fri, 10. Nov 23, 12:22
I thank you for the kind words, it has meaning to me :-)
If your nickname is related to the born date, then we have the same age, so we arrived here through that long time of space games in the form of privateer/Elite that old X titles still kept alive (despite the empire formula) in the void of any other game doing it, except Freelancer maybe. So we've grown attached to the X lore :-)

I don't discard the idea of returning to X4 but now I feel depleted because playing it, even if so deeply modded, did not click anything. Rebirth still does and playing it again makes me see in details all the things that are missing in X4, what I'd gladly add through another mod if I had the time/energy to do. F.i. I see now how the regions in Rebirth look gorgeous, very dense asteroid fields made of smaller roids but they don't cause any fps loss. Ice roids are much better looking, so on. Nothing difficult to replicate in X4.

One could in theory build all sectors in X4 following the same "dense" approach but unfortunely there are 2 big limitations: 1) we can't add many sectors inside a cluster, as in Rebirth and 2) the regions (resources) are limited to a box of 3000km so, even if I did (as I did in XRSGE 6.0) put many zones very far away (you could use zones instead of sectors in a single sector, used as a cluster), they'd result as void of resources.

The idea for a next XRSGE would be a smaller universe (vanilla size) but each sector being much bigger and very full, as in Rebirth. What I already did in XRSGE but having to put regions strategically. This would require to redo REM too, limiting speed and travel so that the player does not perceive the space as small, only very dense. One could also remove the travel engine from S and M ships (that can use highways), in order to make the space "larger" for the player's perception.

The 3000km limitation is a big hindering thou, if not removed this idea will remain an idea (at least a 9000km area is needed to spread the regions in one sector only).

Yes I took great care to write the descriptions in English (so to reach the most of the players), but it is not my language, which is Italian. I wrote them directly in eng, so I'd have to translate them even into Italian :roll: My German is very rusty now, I used to speak/write it fluently in the past, so if you wish to write German text in the T files, I'd gladly add them.

For now, I revamped an old mod of mine for Rebirth viewtopic.php?f=129&t=350673

BTW I must applaud to EGO for the 6.2 update. In my old rig, with XRSGE that introduces a lot more regions and npc ships, X4 has better fps than Rebirth after I added there too the additional sectors. So X4 engine is surely the better optimized one today. Just to say..

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Thu, 16. Nov 23, 14:03

So, I don't lose hope to see your Rebirth representation in X4 engine :mrgreen:
Maybe it'd be a good idea really to make some kind of X4 Rebirth ( :lol: ) with same sector layout, same map (maybe with some differences), systems, each zone having it's speakable (by Betty) name and whole map from original X4 maybe rebuild Rebirth style also
Maybe it'd be even possible to remake station interiors (you know what I'm talking about if you wathed Weasley's work on youtube, but it seems he abandoned this mod, sadly) Of course it doesn't seem possible to bring Rebirth stations to X4, a shame really.
I have a lot of fun playing X4 with your mod, but somehow the game just lacks thix "X atmosphere" even with your mod that however boosts the atmosphere a lot (something with the game itself, I can't describe what exactly is missing in this game). It appears that your mod makes a whole brand new Realspace Foundations game :D , which appears to be a greatest spacesim ever without X atmospere, but with it's own (something like Enderal for Skyrim).
Maybe you could make smething like that, or maybe some kind of X-Tended Realspace Foundations mod, well, just sayin...
Speaking of which, not a very bad ideas, huh? :wink: :D

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”