[REALSPACE MODS] "STARS" - "XRSGE" - "REM" - various

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

Motionblurr
x4

Re: [REALSPACE MODS] Galaxy Remake: "STARS" - "Engines Mod" - "X4RSGE"

Post by Motionblurr » Mon, 4. Sep 23, 22:09

I just started a new game with this mod last night.......WOW
Pros: Gives that realistic engine physics feel and the sectors feel empty but in a good way. I do like this mod.
Cons: HOLY SHIZZZ some sectors are huge. I played the Terran Cadet start and made it all the way to the Pioneer missions with the player HQ.....
The HQ put me in Teladi space and it literally took me 6 real-life hours to make it just to Heretics end.

Overall: This is for the hardcore and not light of heart. Does require alot of real life time to kill.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Tue, 5. Sep 23, 12:20

:!: :!: :!:

Do not start the Split plot yet. There is another error. It picks the wrong accelerator. Am fixing it

EDIT:
FIxed Split Plot chosing the wrong accelerator, be aware that I had a glitch (not related to my mod) of Dal's ship occupying the docking platform and preventing me from docking to the funeral ship (not the coffin). It can be casual, don't know, as it is now the mod can not cause anything, changes are minimal.

XRSGE_Evoultion 6.2.1
:arrow: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/1140

See also in the optional files...
I've prepared the minimod Val Selton GAMESTART to be used with the copy/pasted settings from the Custom Start.
You have to copy the the data exported from your custom game into libraries/gamestarts.xml
Copy from header to header, pay attention at the starting sector, take the value from the sector where the HQ is.
Everything is very intuitive, just open the files with Notepad++

In last header you find the status of STORIES, add the setting you created in the custom game. In the custom game you can make any plot concluded or partially conclude, even if still not unlocked in your game.
There is an option to show all achievements

When preparing the custom game, ADD ALL YOUR SHIPS AS SUBORDINATES OF THE HQ instead than as free fleet, so they will work also in Val Selton Minimod

You can copy the HQ settings from your building menu in your latest save. The when creating the custom game, you can use the HQ status instead of the default. This will be exported to Val Selton Minimod too,
doing all this and the faction's relations, the map etc. you can literally refresh your latest game into a new one having the identical stage as the old one.

I was asked about a mod to limit teleportation, I found this in the Nexus: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations ... le_id=4718
I too dislike the teleportation, I prefer the old jumpdrive limited to L and XL.
Maybe limiting teleportation to work only from/to the HQ to ships and viceversa, not ship to ship, would make it a better mechanism. Someone should ask Kuertee who made another teleportation mod about this ;-)

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Wed, 6. Sep 23, 01:56

So no split plot for old saves? :(

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Wed, 6. Sep 23, 10:01

Nope. But that's what the custom start is for. Prepare a copy of your save situation, properties, ships, hq (export the hq from the latest save), faction's relations, known sectors and satellites, story state.
Copy the exported custom game in my valselton customstart minimod. Start new gun scenario, it will be as continuing the old save. The only thing missing is the state of sector's occupations by factions, reverting to the beginning.

Custom start is a powerful tool, I think a stripped down version of what ego used to make the whole game settings and galaxy (not by hadwriting as I did :shock: ) Hope they'll release the full editor one day. Anyway I am going to make some hardcore starts to replace the existing scenarios. I am surprised nobody did such mods. A pirate start should be with many plots completed (aka not available) main faction's relation very very low except pirate and scaleplate. Not that every start brings to any outcome. I want to play as true pirate, or split only loyalist, boron patriot etc. Starting scenarios that fit the xrsge galaxy (where for instance a true pirate life is possible thanks to the many pirate sectors, shipyards etc.). Some starts that don't involve having the hq, or having any stations etc

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Thu, 7. Sep 23, 14:39

I am redoing some planets, I was not satisfied by the terrible water shaders. I am using the old texture's blending technique, here is Argon Prime from very low orbit to high.
The model is identical but as you can see it is the textures that make the magic of close orbit, not the sphere (identical size). OC a compromise is needed between far orbit, close orbit and low orbit.

Low orbit:

Close orbit:

High Orbit

In X3 and X4 Ego used different spheres (meshes) to simulate the different orbits, but these require that the player can't fly too far. If you fly too far you'll see the low orbit's sphere is made as a strange deformed surface (X3) or as a huge sphere strangely/partially textured (X4).
I remade the orbital planets in X4 to be good also from far, so we could have the nice superhighway animation of traveling to/from low orbit.

A step forward was the remake of planets using small spheres (earth size) but a better texturing. This was not without problems, indeed moons are bigger than planets so I had to change many moons too.
Ideally, by retexturing my custom planets we could use them for low orbit too. But the best approach to me is the latest of XRSGE Evolution, so no orbital planets at all (no multi-sectors, well... xrsge evolution still has some) but normal planets that you can fly to very close, as Argon Prime and in many other core sectors I made.

Problem is, doing all this is too much time demanding for no real gaming improvement (indeed resources remain limited in a radius of max 1500km for each sector). We could have at least a planet and a moon inside the same sector (we kinda have now in some sectors) but at what aim if resources can be visible on map only in a max 3000km space?

To me the real immersion killer is the MAP. It works well for strategic reasons not for simulating real systems. At the end, other games too do not have true infinite space, they have (invisible) sectors of interest, the rest is empty. It is the map that makes the illusion. It'd be nice if we could have both kinds of map (strategic/planetary) or at at least a better separation of systems, so say clicking a single system opens the strategic map, while the whole universe is a different map, with stars in a galaxy region etc. Rebirth did this, in a very bad way thou..

------------------------------------------------------------

In the meantime, I've updated REM 3.4.5 with some needed variations

:arrow: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/848

1) Reduced the hangar bay of all L ships (trade/mining ships having space for 40 ships in the hangar is no-sense)
2) Specialized L Destroyers, i.e. they too have much less hangar bay but have a much increased hull, they are still not true M2, more a M7+ version now
3) Added the Battleship version for XL carriers. So, Ireworked those already existing (Zeus E) to be more an M2 than a carrier. They have a strong hull but very limited hangar and cargo.
For those not having a specialized version I made one. Argon have the New Titan. It is the Colossus Vanguard but, as the Zeus E, it has strong hull, very small hangar bay and cargo bay. So is the Condor Vanguard.
Of course you can buy both the Colossus and the Titan in both Argon and Antigone shipyard, no difference. Similar for Teladi/Ministry sharing the two versions.
4) All XL carriers have also received a boost of the hull.
5) I've differentiated a bit, f.i. Teladi carrier has a lot of space for M ships, while the Colossus has less M ships but more S ships, so on.
6) Prices for destroyers, battleships and carriers are much higher!

:!: Changes will be applied to new ships only, those already built will keep the old specs
Last edited by Realspace on Fri, 8. Sep 23, 03:22, edited 1 time in total.

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Fri, 8. Sep 23, 00:44

Whoa. I like the new approach to planet appearance. Can't wait to play wit new graphics. Now that's even more X3/Rebirth in some ways. Hope there'll be no fog in low orbits :D
Btw, are there any plans to remake some X3 sectors (Okrakoke's storm, Savage Spur, Blueish snout etc. ) to X3 looking sectors? With nebulae and planets as they were in X3. For example maybe you could make a whole Okarakoke's storm system of Yaki with some sub sectors as Senator's wastelands (or how it was called in X3, don't exactly remember) with some new planets, purple nebulae in the background and lots of Yaki stations and wharfs, with jumpgate leading to Savage spur (remade too, without that space sponge :D , more like dark X3 style sector). There could be derelict ships, hidden treasures, dangerous regions...

P.S. I agree that X-Rebith map was more immersive, mabe the solution is to redesign the map to Reburth style? :gruebel:

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Fri, 8. Sep 23, 16:00

I've already redone Savage Spur apperaence in latest version, at least the sponge is no more a sun but a far away burned planetoid, which fits well.

Redoing the map is another thing I can't, so as resources on the map far beyond a 3000km square, but...

I've managed to redesign some elements. Now we have very visible clouds for gas resources and very visible roids, in the map. I removed the hexes too. The result is very pleasant, also no fps impact. I could not remove the blue and red on the map but at least now you don't see the square unless you are there. Resources are very visible so exploration is viable. You can see how dense the roids are just by looking the map. I'll put very lucrative regions very far away, that only the player can mine. But finding them is easier on the map.

Btw I am removing a lot of big fogs in favour of more different ambients in the same sectors. Except gas giants. I try to handle fogs more as a result of crowdy asteroid regions with dust. I try to save the immersion, bc local fog kills it but this way we can accept :-)

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Fri, 8. Sep 23, 19:46

Finally! No fogs everywhere :D
I wouldn't mind some foggy areas with lightnings though (in between zones or in remote areas with ship's derelicts and so on, not everywhere). They were rather immersive, for example in Heretic's end or Antigone republic hazardous area.

I have a question since split plot doesn't work with old saves - how can I copy my save's ships, pilots, HQ settings and other stuff which I wouldn't like to loose, to new custom Val Salton gamestart?

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Mon, 11. Sep 23, 12:25

ziplock815 wrote:
Fri, 8. Sep 23, 19:46
Finally! No fogs everywhere :D
I wouldn't mind some foggy areas with lightnings though (in between zones or in remote areas with ship's derelicts and so on, not everywhere). They were rather immersive, for example in Heretic's end or Antigone republic hazardous area.

I have a question since split plot doesn't work with old saves - how can I copy my save's ships, pilots, HQ settings and other stuff which I wouldn't like to loose, to new custom Val Salton gamestart?
I gave instructions above, just prepare a custom game which is intuitive, replicating all you can from your old save. Then copy or replace the various headers in my valselton minimod/libraries/customstarts.xml
Use Notepad++ https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/ to open them, it shows things much better. Just try doing it, if not understanding ask later, but first try, it is easy to guess how to copy the headers and what they mean.

I've added a NO-Highways patch for XRSGE that removes all local highways except Sanctuary of Darkness.
:arrow: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations ... ?tab=files

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Mon, 11. Sep 23, 18:17

I didn't manage to get valselton minimod to work, sadly :(
When I start Val Selton gamestart with this minimod and changed gamestarts.xml with values of my custom game, the result is usual vanilla "Val Selton"
Maybe I did something wrong? :gruebel:

Btw, I see you've changed Shw effect to...no effect. Maybe you could make an optional patch to bring it back? I loved Shw effects a lot.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Wed, 13. Sep 23, 10:33

-----------------------------------
I've added a patch for SECTOR SATELLITES mod.
While this mod is important for exploring the huge sectors so as finding ships, it resolves into a kind of cheat. You put a survey unit and bham an L ship is found.
With this patch I increased the prices a lot and set limited range to survey units. It stops the finding of ships and high yeald with a simple click at the beginning of the game.
I've made 3 versions:
1) HIGHER PRICES ONLY
2) HIGHER PRICES + LIMITED RANGE
3) LIMITED RANGE ONLY
IMPORTANT: inside sectorsatellites/md/sectorsatellitesconfig.xml look for this:

Code: Select all

<set_value name="$ss_cue.$options.$resourceSurveyUnits.$removeExistingResourceSurveyProbes" exact="false" />

SET IT TO FALSE if it is not already, so you can map a sector with more than one survey and the first one is not delete
I've added a PATCH for STARS
* Increases the brightness of background stars.
* Adds textures for the new planets of XRSGE (XRSGE only)
I've also added a new version of RESHADE.
I implemented a better version of ANTIALISING. It works better than vanilla AA and SAO. It does not reduce the brightness of stars and is very effective indoor, the only trade-off is for the writings (UI set at 0.8 is good).
My Reshade requires that game's AA and SSAO are OFF. Shadows and AA are managed by reshade. This also helps older gf cards and should have a better result and better overall fps performance with new cards too.
----------------------------------
Update for XRSGE 6.2.2
*Small adjustments +
*Added back the stream effect for superhighways
*NEW: changed UI for roids and gas in the map, they are shown independently from the red/blue color and also if far away. Hexes are removed
The visibility of roids and gas on the map does not rely anymore on the blue/red hexes. You see the density of roids and gas regardless of the blue/red colors (which work only inside the 3000km square), resources are visible also out of the 3000km square.
I've changed the tooltip so the advise shown is also that "it can be far from the safe zone", to justify why miners can be commanded to mine there (the player can mine), for immersion saving.
*Other small changes in the UI, the most visible is that the icon for ships that idle has been made more visible, it has a red halo around. I always miss idling ships on the maps, vanilla icon is barely visible.
Under the optional files tab of XRSGE I've added an important additional MINIMOD:
* JUMP to GATE minimod, it allows L and XL ships to jump but ONLY to GATES (no accelerators nor beacons). This perfectly fits into the XRSGE galaxy where gates are at the border of the systems. It speeds up things but still requires a ship to cross a system it enters. Less cheaty and more immersion.
REM has a new optional MODULE
It adds a lot of turrets to the capital L and XL ships
This module is an adaptation of the following mod by plasmafail250: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/853.
Respect to the original, REM module has a lot LESS turrets added. Also this module already includes the Xenon ships, that the author adds in another mod.
Xenon ships too have much less additional turrets than the original.
Last edited by Realspace on Wed, 20. Sep 23, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Wed, 20. Sep 23, 20:24

REM 4.0 is out, a big OVERHAUL
:arrow: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/848

Thanks to PF250 for the permission to start building on top of his turret mod, I've started re-modelling a lot of hardpoints for M,L,XL ships. I've gone further than only adding turrets. Shields, L turrets, main lasers, and a general rebalance of every aspect of the ships, prices included, to have each a niche of use.

Gunboats too now have a specific role as bomber, they carry many missiles and are very bulky (strong hull) while frigates carry much less missiles but more drones and more shields.

Many guns have been rebalanced and especially M ships are very effective.

Added XL battleships using vanilla units for Argon and Teladi. This is to let the mod 100% save compatible, no new model added.

Zeus E mounts frontal guns, so will next battleships I'll add. Condor Vanguard and Colossus Vanguard at the moment cover that niche, they don't mount frontal guns but have plenty of L turrets and a lot of space for missiles and drones, but few space for ships in hangar.

L Destroyers are very powerful, many frontal guns have been added and L turrets, also their weapons rebalanced and made very lethal.

A custom XL ship is included but must be activated: The Titan, an M2+ battleship very-well shielded, small hangar but lot of drones, based on the Nomad model. To activate it, open rem/libraries/wares.xml and in the bottom re-activate the ware of the titan, to make it available in to buy.
(when activated it remains in the next save, be aware)

REM is always planned as the best ships overhaul to cope with xrsge (galaxy overhaul) so in next updates, other than adding the missing battleships, I will add the XL traders. These ships are derived from the Builders and serve the scope of crossing the systems thanks to the jump-drive.

In XRSGE there are optional addons, one of which is the Jump to Gate minimod, in 2 versions: XL and L ships, or XL only. The canonical version is XL only, so L traders work normally while the XL is a special and costly one.

REM VERSION 4.1.9 is available
- rebalanced ALL shields, following the rule of differentiation (S-M not as much as L-XL) but not having overpowered ones. I saw that Ego too has changed that part, no more Split shields so op as before. I think they did too much, vanilla split's shields are almost bad, I made them not stronger but fast. Split's philosophy at bay. On the opposite of the spectrum, Teladi shields tend to be very powerful but also slow to recharge (protective role, not offensive). Their guns too have good range but less impact (Teladi want to trade not fight). I like the old idea of technology that follows the general attitude of a race, it makes sense. Split want to engage in fast battles, going close to the opponent and trying to kill as fast as possible. This reflects in their shields and guns and ship's configurations. I simply enhanced this differentiation.
- rebalance of all L turrets, as before they are not identical among races, each has its pros an cons (speed, range, rotation, salvo, damage, shield/hull bonus, etc.) but I had to nerf them down, especially beams were overpowered. They still are lethal to S and M ships,
- reduced to half the speed and damage of plasma turrets, they are still very powerful but I tested them in order not to be used against small opponents, now they are fast (5x vanilla instead of 10x) but not too fast. I've differentiated the races for plasma too, as for lasers and beams. They have different pros and cons, some are more effective against shields but less against hulls, some against unshielded, some have longer recharge but stronger bullet, some have more range but less impact, some have a big salvo of ammo but longer cooldown, some the same and more frequent, but less impact, so on. Since one can in practice mount every race's turret (if having rank), I like the idea of different technologies but in general no one op or underpowered.
- rebalance of the shield's logic for L and XL, As before, shields are not equal among all races, some are faster, some are stronger. Xenon had too fast shields, I have rebalanced. Still an I is a very fearful opponent, don't engage with a single battleship.
- I refined a better remake of the Titan (must be activated in wares.xml), that had the player's logo and lights still showing over the removed part of the hull. The Titan mounts both L and M frontal guns, making it very versatile.
- Fixed and corrected the xenon K and I, a mismatched file made them not rem-ized so they were slow as bricks. Also I added an XL shield to the K that now mounts 3 shields and is no more a piece of cake.
-Reworked INCARCATURA freighters. I started by doing an additional model but since there are so many identical L traders I decided to use one of each race to make them the Heavy Freighters. This keeps max compatibility save to save, not adding new models even if based on vanilla ones. Now Incarcatura mounts 3 L turrets + various M, and has well 4 shields instead of 2. The two variants have both a very strong hull but sacrifice a 40% of their cargo bay. They carry only 2 S ships. They cost more than other freighters.
- highly increased hull for all capitals, Xenon even more, to make the battle's times be balanced for such big ships, since L weapons are very strong now

Folker
x4

Post by Folker » Fri, 22. Sep 23, 22:34

Hey Realspace, I'd like to ask you if you'd like to add lots of local highways to the vanilla game map.

I think the size of the universe in vanilla is good, but the cruise engine destroys the exploration gameplay because it's so fast (In vanilla). For me, we need to get replace the cruise engine by more local highways, which will make it quicker to reach a common destination, but for exploration, the player has to leave the highways and explore. And objects like Gate, accelerator or stations will look bigger because the ship is slower because don't have cruise engine.

I think it's a good compromise between exploration and reaching a destination.

I'm not saying you should replace your mod, no, it's fine. But create an option like JUMP to GATES or a custom new start, with more local highways for vanilla game.

What do you think?

Mystershow
x4

Post by Mystershow » Sun, 24. Sep 23, 22:35

I was playing and exploring a bit

My breath was taken away as I walk around in the cockpit and flew toward a well-known hub from X3 (it's easier to get there than in vanilla)

This mod is absolutely amazing !
Last edited by Terre on Mon, 25. Sep 23, 07:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now linked

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Tue, 26. Sep 23, 16:44

@Mystershow, thank you :)

@Folker, sorry but doing that would require days of work. I did it in xrsge but had to do for the distances are huge. I don't use highways in my own mod neither, just did for other players.
Why don't you remove them totally instead? And play with some mod that increases travel speed.
Of course I suggest REM :D it is overkill in vanilla but without highways doable.

Btw people I really made an overhaul in latest REM, give it a try. In the nexus, I've written a detail list of features and changes, this is an alternative overhaul now for a very different gameplay. I name one example: improved fighting drones (and cargo for them) instead of tons of s ships and pilots killed :D :D

Folker
x4

Post by Folker » Tue, 26. Sep 23, 17:20

Realspace wrote:
Tue, 26. Sep 23, 16:44

@Folker, sorry but doing that would require days of work. I did it in xrsge but had to do for the distances are huge. I don't use highways in my own mod neither, just did for other players.
Why don't you remove them totally instead? And play with some mod that increases travel speed.
Of course I suggest REM :D it is overkill in vanilla but without highways doable.

Btw people I really made an overhaul in latest REM, give it a try. In the nexus, I've written a detail list of features and changes, this is an alternative overhaul now for a very different gameplay. I name one example: improved fighting drones (and cargo for them) instead of tons of s ships and pilots killed :D :D
Ok, I take a look to REM, thanks for your answer,
I understand make highways can take many time and work, And is true you have create XRGSE Evolution, I will play on it.

Mystershow
x4

Post by Mystershow » Thu, 28. Sep 23, 00:25

I just had quite an interesting battle using the "Jump to Gate XL" mod

So I was fighting in "Cathedral of Xaar" with an Asgard against four xenon K and one I

I let the IA fight to observe, it did an emergency jump when badly damaged (Emergency Jump from Chillmatica) then I ordered it to dock at a Segaris Shipyard (Segaris IV: Gaian Prophecy)

The Asgard jump in "Omicron B IV: Ariel Beta" (don't know why maybe there is a limit for jump gate distance ? Could be a good idea to balance) but what was interestind was the fact that three K and one I jump as well in pursuit !!!

It was quite an amazing sight and really open an interesting way to fight

I could, potentially, trick the Xenon to pursue and have them fall in a trap !

Just like in X: Beyond the Frontier :P :P

Furthermore, the interdiction probe from "sector satellites" mod could be use as an interdiction to jump as well so the xenons couldn't escape :idea:

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Fri, 29. Sep 23, 12:40

I do also play with XL Jump to gate..well I made it canonical not without reasons :-) making L Jump too breaks the game's Logic but XL only fits perfectly and speeds up many tedious things. F.i. builders can be hired from all universe (so I removed the added builders from the job file) and the scary Xenon I can appear at every gate. :-) but not an entire fleet of K's

Mystershow
x4

Post by Mystershow » Sun, 1. Oct 23, 21:01

I just had an another great battles at the East Gate of "Circle of Labour"

Xenons jumping in and out and deploying fighters

It was really a surprise and now the threat can come from anywhere !

I only had the Erkling which was able to jump in to save the day with the help of the terrans

I play with VRO (for now but I will switch to rem) so K, V and I are XL ships, I use FOCW and Xenon Buff as well

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Mon, 2. Oct 23, 22:56

Mystershow wrote:
Sun, 1. Oct 23, 21:01
:D

----------------------------
XRSGE Update 6.2.5

:arrow: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/1140

- small bug fixes
- re-opened gate from Tharka's Sun system to Ket's Reckoning, so the Xenon stop attacking only in The Hole :)
- increased the range for expert trader from vanilla 5 sectors to 15 sectors (15 requires a 5 star pilot)
- added function to scan and find derelict ship using long range scanner. The scanner finds ships within its normal (xrsge) range of 1600km. So not cheaty at all as other mods, you must move inside the sector and scan around. This is an alternative way to the deploy of units (Sector Satellite mod + my patch, that are costly, for a reason), that can be used by npc and further in the game. Early in the game the player can explore the sectors and use long range scanner
- added function to scan a sector to discover superhighway entrance. The scanner will automatically deploy a beacon at the superhighway entrance. This function is particularly useful for those who (like me) play WITHOUT highways.
- increased long range scanner at 1600km

...I've spent all day to implement these two scripts but at the end I did it :D ...we were waiting for these two functions since XRSGE 1.0 :mrgreen:

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”