[REALSPACE MODS] "STARS" - "XRSGE" - "REM" - various

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

Realspace
x4

Re: [REALSPACE MODS] Galaxy Remake: "STARS" - "Engines Mod" - "X4RSGE"

Post by Realspace » Mon, 28. Aug 23, 07:41

ziplock815 wrote:
Wed, 23. Aug 23, 01:46
Well, I don't like the actual approach by egosoft neither. I think they want so much to have a special niche, which I can understand, to push a lot on the strategy part and economy simulation, while keeping a good space-ship simulator (after modding :-), but the physics are there).
Risk is, in so doing, that some of the parts are not so good. Exploration is not, space travel neither. Anyway their unique atmosphere is what made us play all of their iterations. It went somehow partially lost in X4.

Ziplock you should write down exactly what planets, the orbital ones? I can see to make a better use of materials, maybe less clouds. I used more clouds to cover the inherently bad looking terrain tech which is simply the same alpha repeated more times on a bigger sphere. That's why I used a totally different approach for "my" planets that you can fly to, from high to low orbit. They are smaller, much smaller (actually, the Earth's size), but use old style textures, not generic alphas of terrain patches.

The human eye can immediately see if something is a repeated patch or a picture (texture). So the old textures look better even at close inspection (I played a lot with the shades). So in President's End, f.i., the planet looks cool from far or from close orbit. But textures are not big. There is a reason why some hardcore simulators such as Orbiter used tons of textures instead of the nowaday common procedural generation of terrains (and planets). The latter looks fake, you see that it is a generic terrain, even if its normal maps look better. Procedurally generated surfaces on contrary would work very well for small moons or big asteroids, where you can land to mine resources. Hope Ego will add some in the future (not planets, only big roids and small moons), they'd make a lot of sense for the actual game and add a lot of exploration feeling.

Since Orbiter is mostly based on our solar system, we would immediately lose immersion by a procedurally generated Earth. Oc since orbiter is an atmosphere-entry simulator, the textures it uses are massive, with many lods (layers) of more detail textures (12-14 if I remember), while in X game you don't need that. A big texture with enough mipmaps is more than enough. This is to say that, for planets, plain textures still rock instead of other solutions, and any modern gf card can manage them very well.

With those such as Heretic's End, I used other approaches, such as making water planets out of generic planets. The planetary tech is very nice for clouds and climates (in the generic planets, not the orbital ones) but as soon as you see a landmass you catch the repeated generic patch and the passage between land and water is very very bad. There is no overlapping nor tone blurring. Old X3 planets looked better in that by simply using water textures with alphas for the terrain. Their seas were very nice looking, the shores looked real. In X4 the shores are so terrible to make the planets look worse even if all other renderings (clouds, climates, atmosphere) are better. So I used the exchanged planets (such as Argon Prime) elsewhere in other forms, water planets with small isles, only rocky etc.

At the moment I am updating the mods for 6.2, will upload with bug fixs, later on will see the planets.

Btw I was thinking about another optional change, i.e. making highways some kind of "gravity slingshot". The idea is making them very short, but many and pointing to various directions. You manually enter there and when exiting from the exit gate (not leaving midway), the ship keeps momentum. So you can for instance accelerate to 50 km/s and keep going. While normal travel drive is limited to 10. This oc would work only for the player, the other ships would continue to travel by their own travel engine (m and l ships already do it).

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Wed, 30. Aug 23, 01:21

Absolutely agree, the atmosphere is lost a lot in X4. Thank god youur mod exists :)
Yes, I was talking mostly about orbital planets. Their surfaces and clouds look much less realistic in comparison from distant planets. For example, planets like Empire's Edge Holy Ground (I'm not talking about planets like Holy Order Pontifex' Seclusion - my favorite sector btw -, because they look very nice - I suppose you made them from scratch specially for good immersion when traveling to their low orbits via highways). Also, In my opinion they rotate too quickly. Old X3 planets looked better than X4, I agree. In vanilla X4 only a plenty of planets were nice to see, the other are just ugly. Even now I return to X3 from time to time, especially to X-Tended mod, where lots of planets look like they are real. Of course, not all of them, but mostly they were nice.
I also would like to mention nighs sides of the planets. Most of them are really good, but sometimes you can see repeating patterns of night city lights on some planets and on some other planets night lights look like they move and don't actually look like real cities. Btw don't know why you've changed the planet in Rusiri's Dream. It was very beautiful night side low orbit sector, but you've changed it to gas giant, which is nice too, but previous planet looked beter :P It remided me of Melpomenia sector in X-tended in some ways.
The last thing I'd like to say is about Sol. Planets look absolutely cool (especially with new Milky Way in the background), but I think Mars and Earth should be more bright and contrast. The sun in Venus is too big (but, I don't really know how it looks in real space, it's just a guess) And could you please delete this blue glow in Sol sectors please? :lol:

About "gravity slingshots" - well, I like highways ithe way they're now, so if it's optional it's good. What you could do with highways in my opinion, is that you could make them more like tunnels than blue roads, maybe like X-Rebirth's light green glow around the ship.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Thu, 31. Aug 23, 09:53

I've updated REM to 3.4.2.

This version simply increases the travel engines of L and XL ships. This is needed to cope better in the huge sectors of XRSGE where L and XL ships don't use the highways.

:arrow: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/848

I am thinking about a different version of REM having NO travel for S ships but even higher travel for L and XL (M ships I don't know, their use is quite a mystery to me still today :D )
I'd like to improve the strategic aspect of the classes. Ideally having, only for XL ships, a kind of jumpdrive (maybe with long cooldown), would be nice to have a better niche for these huge carriers.
I am noticing that they don't use the travel engine when out of attention (vanilla issue) and being clunky makes them quite useless, apart from the higher shield and hull.
Any opinion about?

---------------------------------

I've updated XRSGE to 6.2, for coherence with version 6.2 of the game.

:arrow: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/1140

* small bug fixes,
* made compatible with 6.2 (missions)
* added zones to low orbit of some main planets,
* removed the blue halo in some sectors,
* reworked Venus/Mercury sectors,
* added a couple of accelerators,
* Reworked aspect of highways
Everything updates perfectly midgame, from previous version.

---------------------------------

There is also a PATCH for STARS
It only reworks the aspect of Mars, if you like how it is don't need to update
:arrow: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/507

Timoruz

Post by Timoruz » Thu, 31. Aug 23, 16:38

So I was thinking about the highway visual glitches and I thought of two possible solutions. Not sure if they’re actually possible but I thought I’d share.

1 • Change the highway texture to two lines as opposed to a full “road”. I.E highways would end up looking like this from above: | |

2 • Change the highway mesh from a flat road to a transparent tunnel. Sort-of like a subway.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Thu, 31. Aug 23, 22:02

Materials related to highways seem reluctant at any change. Anyway seems I managed to remove the strange borders and making them more fluid in the aspect. See latest update 6.2.. I'd be happy enough if could make them much more transparent than they are without using tubes or altering the mesh. But materials used by the meshes don't change as expected.
The damn split plot stops at "embark in a s ship", I think it does not find a station where to spawn the split contact you have to pick up. It is something that can happen in vanilla game too but in xrsge seems always. It is the only plot not working today.
I think he will spawn in a random station of the base game, so I can't see any reason why the station is not found. The plot is stuck one step before thou, at embarking in a S-ship. Can't see any reason for this too, nothing about xrsge mod messing with ship's classes :evil:

Sorry guys but I am giving up on this, without help is a terrible waste of time. I should play the hatikvah plot every time to test the start of the split plot. At every change I make in the mission script, without any clue what could be causing this. Insane

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Fri, 1. Sep 23, 10:17

Well, if you feel it's hard to find the cause of split plot problem, I think you shouldn't bother. Other plots work fine and that's enough for now, maybe you'll find a solution eventually (as always :) ).
In vanilla that split guy was found in absolutely random stations so I don't think it's something with some specific station missing.

About XL ships. I think you're right, but I also would make L ships jump capable. For now I'm using jump engine mod and configured it so only L and XL could jump. Take a look https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/936, it has some nice jump effects with Betty speaking when jumping by yourself. The only small issue with this mod is that you can jump only to your ships/stations or deployables, so I have to put lots of nav beacons in lots of sectors.

Btw I think the "gravity slingshot" idea of highways is going to affect exploration aspect a lot, because you can't go in and go out into highways any time you want so I hope you'll find a way to change/make highway textures better instead.

P.S. Is it me or you've added visual effects when exiting highways? Looks very nice.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Fri, 1. Sep 23, 11:51

I've changed the aspect of highways to make them less intrusive but have still not seen them elsewhere out than black hole sun, my game keeps crashing after last amd driver update. Slingshot will remain an idea, it is too much time to redo all highways, I've done with such big efforts, only bug fixing now.

I've tried the jump mod but removed, it gave me a lot of errors in the debug. The mod is good so wrote to the author, hope he updates it.

If somebody would provide a save to ego tech forum to check what is wrong with split story in that part, maybe we'd have a clue. They don't provide help for modded games but sometime do and can read the errors. I've none in my debug, nothing related to the split plot, nothing related to xrsge. I've no idea where to look

Timoruz

Post by Timoruz » Fri, 1. Sep 23, 17:02

Just thought I’d add a thought to the split issue.

Could the cause be the larger sectors? I.E Maybe the game in vanilla selects a station within a certain radius and since the sectors are so large in XRSGE that radius will often not have a station within it in XRSGE.

Apologies if that’s a bad hypothesis.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Fri, 1. Sep 23, 17:25

Don't apologize, everything is plausible. But mission's scripts don't work like that. I get how they work but can't go deeper than that, just do small changes. Anyway, sector's names, sizes etc are not important. Problem is not in the map but in how it is recalled for the various dlc. They create the issue, base game's missions don't. Md sees the universe in codes related to the documents that create the map. My guess is that the same old issue happens, that I had for any dlc plot. The engine can not distinguish between base sectors and dlc sectors. Even if I specify which they are. Ego recalls them simply by a string that expresses the dlc origin. Which is not very precise anyway, there are other factions sectors that are introduced by the split dlc, aka argon and teladi. Anyway when setting a precise list of sectors, this problem solves everywhere, except here. I could replicate an error by starting a new game, it is in the setup_dlc_split. The engine can not create an index of base and split sectors

Ok solved it!
It works in a new game, don't know in an existing game. It should, the mission is reactivated every some time and checks the conditions. You can try on an old save, better if before talking to Dal
Download the PATCH
:arrow: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations ... ?tab=files under the update files

Timoruz

Post by Timoruz » Fri, 1. Sep 23, 18:28

Realspace wrote:
Fri, 1. Sep 23, 17:25
Don't apologize, everything is plausible. But mission's scripts don't work like that. I get how they work but can't go deeper than that, just do small changes. Anyway, sector's names, sizes etc are not important. Problem is not in the map but in how it is recalled for the various dlc. They create the issue, base game's missions don't. Md sees the universe in codes related to the documents that create the map. My guess is that the same old issue happens, that I had for any dlc plot. The engine can not distinguish between base sectors and dlc sectors. Even if I specify which they are. Ego recalls them simply by a string that expresses the dlc origin. Which is not very precise anyway, there are other factions sectors that are introduced by the split dlc, aka argon and teladi. Anyway when setting a precise list of sectors, this problem solves everywhere, except here. I could replicate an error by starting a new game, it is in the setup_dlc_split. The engine can not create an index of base and split sectors

Ok solved it!
It works in a new game, don't know in an existing game. It should, the mission is reactivated every some time and checks the conditions. You can try on an old save, better if before talking to Dal
Download the PATCH
:arrow: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations ... ?tab=files under the update files
Well done!

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Fri, 1. Sep 23, 19:31

Half happy, does not work in existing game, only a new one. I started a custom game with similar conditions to my previous gameplay :-)

Newinger
x4

Post by Newinger » Fri, 1. Sep 23, 20:37

Realspace wrote:
Fri, 1. Sep 23, 17:25
Ok solved it!
Download the PATCH
THANK you, you are awesome!

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Fri, 1. Sep 23, 21:44

:!: :!: :!:
Don't start a custom game. It will have the issue of ships stuck at gates. Regular scenarios work normally

Newinger
x4

Post by Newinger » Sat, 2. Sep 23, 14:54

Realspace wrote:
Fri, 1. Sep 23, 21:44
Don't start a custom game. It will have the issue of ships stuck at gates. Regular scenarios work normally
Oh? Is this a new bug? Can it be fixed?

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Sat, 2. Sep 23, 15:24

Nope, not a bug. The galaxy is different, the engine probably lacks references to the map or something. It expects different connections, don't know. Anyway we can live with that. I've managed to do a custom game work by copying the custom game's setting you export inside documents, in my val selton minimod (young gun plus). It is easy. I will provide instructions to do it. No big deal.
I am doing a playthrough and doing small cosmetic changes that don't mess with saves. That's all, the mod is finished. I'll also provide a no highways optional patch.

Timoruz

Post by Timoruz » Sat, 2. Sep 23, 15:29

Will the no highways patch add more Econ jobs to compensate for the longer trade times?

Edit: Also I really like using the no highways, makes it so I can get up and do something productive while I wait for my ship to traverse space lol.

2nd Edit: are there any mods that disable the teleport feature? I feel like it breaks my immersion a bit. A niche request I know.

Realspace
x4

Post by Realspace » Sat, 2. Sep 23, 18:01

More jobs brings lags. We already tested in previous versions. What works instead is increasing the cargo space. My REM mod already increases cargos 2x (good balance) as default. But there are other mods in the nexus with even more cargo.

If you don't like teleportation, why simply not research it? :-) this aspect too is a player's choice that can be managed by other mods. Just use a jumpdrive instead of teleportation, etc. Latest REM also has faster travel speeds for L and XL ships (avg 16.000). Not as the 80.000 of highways but high enough for traders.

Also, using highways is needed to find things and speed up, but using Sector Satellite Mod, that reveals all zones when deploying an adv sat, can let you play without highways. Again, personal taste, I will only provide the patch to delete them. Btw there is already a no-highway mod for xrsge by a modder in the nexus. I've not seen inside the mod but removing them is very easy, should be harmful. Just be sure he let intact the highways in Sanct. of darkness

Mystershow
x4

Post by Mystershow » Sun, 3. Sep 23, 22:31

Realspace wrote:
Fri, 1. Sep 23, 21:44
I have the same issue with a custom game start since I had issue with some quests

It usually happens in Antigone's territories (Antigone Republic Cluster mostly if all), to go around that small issue I simply go "Live Stream" the ship and it flew away then teleport

I've removed the highway by the way as well

Not a big issue for me

ziplock815

Post by ziplock815 » Sun, 3. Sep 23, 23:42

I see you've found a solution to split plot, but it works only in new game. Any chance you could make it work with existing savegame? I've achieved so much and wouldn't like to start a new game...again :lol:

Timoruz

Post by Timoruz » Mon, 4. Sep 23, 21:22

AI Seems to take a strange route in Barren Shores V: Yanva. Also occasionally occurs with autopilot. I am out of system in the screenshot.
Think I'm going to swap to classic as I dislike to super long highways anyway.
https://i.imgur.com/zv1U1va.png
Last edited by Terre on Tue, 5. Sep 23, 07:32, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now linked

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”