Where are the ship configuration files?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

apricotslice
x4

Where are the ship configuration files?

Post by apricotslice » Tue, 25. Jun 19, 07:25

I cant find these anywhere. Which probably means I'm looking in the wrong place, or for the wrong thing.

I'm specifically looking for speed values, and shields, especially shield regen rates.

But it would be nice to be able to check over everything, and see if I can put my own ship into the game like I used to for X3's.

But for the life of me, I cant find any ship configurations. Where are they hiding?

BrummBear02
x3ap

Re: Where are the ship configuration files?

Post by BrummBear02 » Tue, 25. Jun 19, 11:51

I have a post here on this board "building your own ship for dummies" viewtopic.php?f=181&t=414274 Do the part of making a copy of an existing ship. Speed is a mix of drag value in the ships macro file and thrust in the engines macro file. Shield regen and capacity is set in the shields macro file. Or your add more shield slots to the ship in the ships xml (component file)
Gebt mir einen Spiegel dann schlage ich ihn mit seinem eigenen Gesicht

Azran_Zala
x4

Post by Azran_Zala » Tue, 25. Jun 19, 11:55

ship properties would be in \assets\units\[size]\macros\[ship_arg_xl_carrier_01_a_macro.xml for example]

Certain attributes are inherent with the equipment fitted.

Ship specific speed can be manipulated via the physics ei:

<drag forward="189.84" reverse="759.362" horizontal="259.503" vertical="259.503" pitch="809.84" yaw="809.84" roll="809.84" />

(the less drag the faster it goes for the same engine size/number)

For shields [surface elements] and engines [Engines] specifically you'll find their macros at
props\SurfaceElements\macros
props\Engines\macros

The shield / engine modules themselves have specific properties ie: Recharge Max and Rate rate for shields, Thrust for engines.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Tue, 25. Jun 19, 12:05

BrummBear02 wrote:
Tue, 25. Jun 19, 11:51
I have a post here on this board "building your own ship for dummies" viewtopic.php?f=181&t=414274 Do the part of making a copy of an existing ship. Speed is a mix of drag value in the ships macro file and thrust in the engines macro file. Shield regen and capacity is set in the shields macro file. Or your add more shield slots to the ship in the ships xml (component file)
I've had a quick look, but you're using a lot of words I dont understand.
Azran_Zala wrote:
Tue, 25. Jun 19, 11:55
ship properties would be in \assets\units\[size]\macros\[ship_arg_xl_carrier_01_a_macro.xml for example]
<drag forward="189.84" reverse="759.362" horizontal="259.503" vertical="259.503" pitch="809.84" yaw="809.84" roll="809.84" />
For shields [surface elements] and engines [Engines] specifically you'll find their macros at
props\Engines\macros
The shield / engine modules themselves have specific properties ie: Recharge Max and Rate rate for shields, Thrust for engines.
Thanks for the bolded bit. That was a great help.

Where does one find the slots things go into? For example, The Osprey takes 3 shields, but what are the slot names for them so you can insert them properly in the MD? Same with engines and guns. Osprey has 4 turrets, but are they all the same, or subtly different names?

I was hoping to find 1 file which had all this in it.

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Tue, 25. Jun 19, 12:07

Editing the games vanilla files isn't a good idea since patches might override it and npcs will also use that stuff. Better create a mod for it.

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Tue, 25. Jun 19, 12:12

apricotslice wrote:
Tue, 25. Jun 19, 12:05
BrummBear02 wrote:
Azran_Zala wrote:
Tue, 25. Jun 19, 11:55
props\Engines\macros
Thanks for the bolded bit. That was a great help.

Where does one find the slots things go into? For example, The Osprey takes 3 shields, but what are the slot names for them so you can insert them properly in the MD? Same with engines and guns. Osprey has 4 turrets, but are they all the same, or subtly different names?

I was hoping to find 1 file which had all this in it.
Well it's in the ships xml file. Assets/units/size_ / <ship.xml>

Shields are con_shield_01... 02 and so on. Main guns are con_weapon and turrets are con_turret. All of them come with coords where they are placed on the ship.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Tue, 25. Jun 19, 12:36

BrummBear02 wrote:
Tue, 25. Jun 19, 12:12
All I see are .data folders, and xmf files, none of which are called ship.

What am I missing?

Azran_Zala
x4

Post by Azran_Zala » Tue, 25. Jun 19, 12:39

apricotslice wrote:
Tue, 25. Jun 19, 12:36
BrummBear02 wrote:
Tue, 25. Jun 19, 12:12
All I see are .data folders, and xmf files, none of which are called ship.

What am I missing?
scroll down. its in that folder (a file per ship) (ie: ship_arg_xl_carrier_01.xml )

Azran_Zala
x4

Post by Azran_Zala » Tue, 25. Jun 19, 12:40

apricotslice wrote:
Tue, 25. Jun 19, 12:05
BrummBear02 wrote:
There is an old adage: Creativity is great, but plagiarism is faster.
I'd highly recommend doing/trying whats in BrummBear02 tutorial, even if you struggle to follow it, the practice itself will probably familiarize you as you go along.
Also open up and inspect the contents of an existing mod which adds a ship to the game (BrummBear02 has a few). will give you an indication of what parts are required.

If the desire is to simply replace a value for existing ship globally, then you'll want to create a mod with diff / replace content.
One I like to plagiarize for educational purposes in that case as it makes a lot of changes to ships, weapons and all sorts of goodies is "Variety and Re balance Overhaul"

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Tue, 25. Jun 19, 12:49

Azran_Zala wrote:
Tue, 25. Jun 19, 12:40
There is an old adage: Creativity is great, but plagiarism is faster.
I'd highly recommend doing/trying whats in BrummBear02 tutorial, even if you struggle to follow it, the practice itself will probably familiarize you as you go along.
Also open up and inspect the contents of an existing mod which adds a ship to the game (BrummBear02 has a few). will give you an indication of what parts are required.

If the desire is to simply replace a value for existing ship globally, then you'll want to create a mod with diff / replace content.
One I like to plagiarize for educational purposes in that case as it makes a lot of changes to ships, weapons and all sorts of goodies is "Variety and Re balance Overhaul"
The tutorial has words in it which look like Spanish to me. It doesn't make any sense. No offense to the author intended.
this will convert all .dae files inside the later created cubix folder into .xmf with their .xml waifu.
Very little of that makes any sense. I read english and bad english, but that's it.

Azran_Zala
x4

Post by Azran_Zala » Tue, 25. Jun 19, 13:13

apricotslice wrote:
Tue, 25. Jun 19, 12:49
this will convert all .dae files inside the later created cubix folder into .xmf with their .xml waifu.
Very little of that makes any sense. I read english and bad english, but that's it.
Waifu :) I'm such a weeb I read that as "partner" or "pair" without even noticing the term used. But that might also be a technical term I'm unaware of lol

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Tue, 25. Jun 19, 13:34

Azran_Zala wrote:
Tue, 25. Jun 19, 13:13
apricotslice wrote:
Tue, 25. Jun 19, 12:49
Waifu :) I'm such a weeb I read that as "partner" or "pair" without even noticing the term used. But that might also be a technical term I'm unaware of lol
.dae .xmf .xml and .ani are file formats. Nothing more.
The waifu indeed means a partner file. Ships in x4 consist of .xmf which contain the 3d models, the ship .xml I'm referring to as waifu which assembles the 3d models ingame (the cockpit, ladder and body of a ship have different 3d files and property's. The ladder for example is climbable while the ship is not)
The macro file which is also an .xml where references get called (The cargo hold for example) and ship property's are defined and the .ani file which contains informations about animation. Like the landing gear. For your purposes you don't need most of that. It's needed if you want to change the 3d model. The tutorial is designed to be easy to understand with loads of pictures to further explain what you are supposed to do. so it should not be to hard. I'm gladly willing to explain things you don't understand. But I won't write another tutorial on how to make a mod that copies a vanilla ship.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Tue, 25. Jun 19, 13:41

BrummBear02 wrote:
Tue, 25. Jun 19, 13:34
The waifu indeed means a partner file. Ships in x4 consist of .xmf which contain the 3d models, the ship .xml I'm referring to as waifu which assembles the 3d models ingame (the cockpit, ladder and body of a ship have different 3d files and property's. The ladder for example is climbable while the ship is not)
The macro file which is also an .xml where references get called (The cargo hold for example) and ship property's are defined and the .ani file which contains informations about animation. Like the landing gear. For your purposes you don't need most of that. It's needed if you want to change the 3d model. The tutorial is designed to be easy to understand with loads of pictures to further explain what you are supposed to do. so it should not be to hard. I'm gladly willing to explain things you don't understand. But I won't write another tutorial on how to make a mod that copies a vanilla ship.
I can find no dae files or ani files, and none of your paths in the bat commands are in the folder structure anywhere. What is cubix and koha?

Can I ask what language you installed your version in? Because the instructions you're giving make no sense.

Sorry, but I'm just going mad here.

Edit: All I need are xmf converted to xml. How?

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Tue, 25. Jun 19, 19:01

apricotslice wrote:
Tue, 25. Jun 19, 13:41
BrummBear02 wrote:
Tue, 25. Jun 19, 13:34
I can find no dae files or ani files, and none of your paths in the bat commands are in the folder structure anywhere. What is cubix and koha?

Can I ask what language you installed your version in? Because the instructions you're giving make no sense.

Sorry, but I'm just going mad here.

Edit: All I need are xmf converted to xml. How?
its in german but the paths are the same as in english. and ofc you are missing some parts of the folder structure. have you read the complete thing? some of it gets created along the path. koha is a mod of mine which gets used as base. cubix is the name of the ship that gets created in the tutorial.

xmf cant be converted to xml. the xmf file belongs to an corresponding xml file. the converting only has to be done when u want to edit the 3d model. so you dont need to do that. all you have to do is copy files and edit some xml`s.
maybe a diff patch, as suggested by the other dude, is the best option for you afer all.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Tue, 25. Jun 19, 19:22

BrummBear02 wrote:
Tue, 25. Jun 19, 19:01
xmf cant be converted to xml. the xmf file belongs to an corresponding xml file. the converting only has to be done when u want to edit the 3d model. so you dont need to do that. all you have to do is copy files and edit some xml`s.
maybe a diff patch, as suggested by the other dude, is the best option for you afer all.
There are no xml's where the xmf's are.

Where I'm told the ship.xml's are, there is only xmf's.

Makes me wonder if everything was actually unpacked. As far as I can tell it all was though.

But this is the problem. All I have is xmf files where I'm being told there are xml's. Not knowing what an xmf was, I assumed they needed converting to get the xml's.

If not, where are the xml's? I have nothing editable for either ship definitions, or engines. I do have shield and gun xml files though.

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Tue, 25. Jun 19, 19:48

apricotslice wrote:
Tue, 25. Jun 19, 19:22
BrummBear02 wrote:
Tue, 25. Jun 19, 19:01
There are no xml's where the xmf's are.

Where I'm told the ship.xml's are, there is only xmf's.

Makes me wonder if everything was actually unpacked. As far as I can tell it all was though.

But this is the problem. All I have is xmf files where I'm being told there are xml's. Not knowing what an xmf was, I assumed they needed converting to get the xml's.

If not, where are the xml's? I have nothing editable for either ship definitions, or engines. I do have shield and gun xml files though.
\assets\units\size_s\ship_arg_s_fighter_01.xml

the xml are in one folder deeper.
assets\units\size_s\ship_arg_s_fighter_01_data\anim_canopy_wreck-collision.xmf

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Wed, 26. Jun 19, 03:32

BrummBear02 wrote:
Tue, 25. Jun 19, 19:48
\assets\units\size_s\ship_arg_s_fighter_01.xml
There are no xml files in the size folders. This file does not exist. Only 1 with a xmf extension.
the xml are in one folder deeper.
assets\units\size_s\ship_arg_s_fighter_01_data\anim_canopy_wreck-collision.xmf
This is NOT a folder.

It's a file, and if you try to edit it, you get gibberish.

If the xml is within the xmf, how do you get it out?

Edit: Seriously, can someone zip up the xml files and send them to me? We just keep going round in circles here.

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Wed, 26. Jun 19, 11:22

I can't give the best advice on unpacking everything but I can at least explain where things should be.

Yes, all the files which you apparently want to edit are xml.
Files in the _data folders such as anim_canopy_wreck-collision are related to the graphical side of the asset, not the balancing.

In the size_s folder, you will find the template files. For example:
ship_gen_s_fighter_01.xml
This contains data on which asset files to reference. Maybe more relevant for you, it also defines the connections. These include the slots for things such as weapons, engines e.t.c.

In the size_s folder, you will also find the macro folder which contain the ship macros, for example:
ship_gen_s_fighter_01_a_macro.xml
A macro will reference a template. You can have a new macro reference an existing template to make a ship variant. The ship macros have some of the balancing info for that ship.
The macro also defines what other objects are plugged into the connections e.g. which cockpit. However, with the loadout system in X4, ship macros usually do not pre-define things such as weapons or engines. I won't get into loadouts atm, but maybe someone else can.

Hopefully, that clears somethings up.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Wed, 26. Jun 19, 13:40

I don't know if you understood xenon slayer better than me but he basically said the same thing. You unpacked your game wrong if you are missing the files and folders I described. Giving you the xml won't be of much help without correct file structure

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Wed, 26. Jun 19, 14:00

Xenon_Slayer wrote:
Wed, 26. Jun 19, 11:22
Hopefully, that clears somethings up.
No sorry. It doesn't.

Where you say there should be xml files, there are only xmf files. I keep saying that. No-one believes me.

The macro folder does have xml's but it is the only one which does in that part of the folder structure.
BrummBear02 wrote:
Wed, 26. Jun 19, 13:40
I don't know if you understood xenon slayer better than me but he basically said the same thing. You unpacked your game wrong if you are missing the files and folders I described. Giving you the xml won't be of much help without correct file structure
I unpacked the game with the bat file instructions I could find. It involved downloading a program and copying the bat file to run it.

If there is a second part to it which converts xmf to xml, I didn't find it. Or if I did find it, I didn't understand it enough to do it. And the only half decent explanation I found of the process had too many non-english words in it for me to follow properly.

As a broad statement, the documentation for everything to do with this game is totally inadequate, especially for those of us who didn't get the last game, and know zero about any of it.

I think I give up.

I'm obviously too old and too brain dead to understand any of this.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”