[WIP][Tutorial] Building your own ship for dummies 2

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Darcanlos
x4

Re: [WIP][Tutorial] Building your own ship for dummies

Post by Darcanlos » Thu, 7. Jan 21, 08:20

Axeface wrote:
Thu, 7. Jan 21, 00:04
Darcanlos wrote:
Wed, 6. Jan 21, 11:16
Thank you very much for the fast answer. So modifying a vanilla ship is not possible then. Will create a new one and try it like this. I will look into discord as well if I hit more problems, which I sure will...
Is the change just a model change? You should actually be able to override the stock models just like I do in my engine tint mod.
Try packing your (model) files in a subst_01.dat/dat archive instead of leaving them as loose files, make sure the folder structure and names all match the stock ones.
Thanks! Will try this. It's just a model change, yes. Hope this works!

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Thu, 7. Jan 21, 09:21

on a side note, since you will run into this issue sooner or later, you most likely cant edit the cockpit collision. it will make your game crash. so leave it alone and add the edited part to the part_main or anim_main file. that works.
Gebt mir einen Spiegel dann schlage ich ihn mit seinem eigenen Gesicht

ScarabParamit

Post by ScarabParamit » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 10:01

Very helpfull ...but what about this interesting "Moving connections around and other XML file stuff" ...?

I kind of got .xml figured out, but connections i didn't touch yet and will just have to use super powers of reverse engineering also known by ancient sorcerers as "copypasta" ritual.
In worst case scenario like with 90% of subject in life ...test & trial paid in time blood, sweat & tears...and high power bills.

As i see it... for now at least, i can either modify ships on .xmf level, fusing them together and do not even need any ship .xml edits... or slowly reverse engineer other connected parts and paste their duplicates to same ship .xml file as long as connections have proper naming?

first one seems only way to bring new ships while second seems like good way to expand and modify existing ships if one build proper repository of ingame elements ...wonder how it is with optmisation.

aurumgallente
x4

Post by aurumgallente » Fri, 23. Apr 21, 14:14

Every connection is a part of a ship. It can be visible or invisible to a player. For example, landing gears are visible, position of pilot's eyes is invisible, trail emmitters are visible only when ship is moving. For most of connections it's obvious what it is, some of them are ship details, others are slots for shields and weapons.
For optimization you need to make 3 versions for every ship part. lod0 is the heaviest and visible from point blank range. lod3 is the most primitive and visible from afar. Some tags can make a difference - look at small parts and decoration elements, they are not visible from some range.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sat, 24. Apr 21, 15:36

Does anyone know how we can avoid conflicts with page id="x"? (with other mods)

XOSPECTRE

Post by XOSPECTRE » Fri, 24. Feb 23, 11:28

Cant make that xr converter running created 2 bat files and what next tutorial sais its nake but how should i associated xnl files or just click on that fules whith do nothing just open cmd whith that command and pause on the end . How to extract models to dae ? This tutorial obiviously forget some between steps

XOSPECTRE

Post by XOSPECTRE » Fri, 24. Feb 23, 13:07

Ok i created video exactly what im doing whith patch and folders please can someone refer what im doing wrong i cant create dae files im frustrated :rant:

Video follows https://youtu.be/Mh48YZOM8DM

Mikalichou

Post by Mikalichou » Mon, 24. Apr 23, 07:11

BrummBear02 wrote:
Mon, 18. Feb 19, 23:28
Hello Forks,

Ill try to create a complete walkthrough to creat an S sized ship that fully works.
Bit of a shot in the dark, but all the screenshots in your original post don't seem to be available anymore (only the thumbnails)

Any chance you still have the originals?

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Mon, 24. Apr 23, 21:35

weird. dont know why that happened. they are still there. just remove the last letter before the .png

https://i.imgur.com/n97CIP6t.png -> https://i.imgur.com/n97CIP6.png

THE_TrashMan
x4

Post by THE_TrashMan » Thu, 27. Apr 23, 12:11

I'm looking at the Boron examaples from Egosoft. FFS, why is it 300 Mb? All textures?

I see capital ships have no bridge model, but a marker. I assume the ship model is loaded into that place? Can we make new bridges? New landing gear?
- Burning with Awesomeness

- Pontifex Maximus Panaidia Est Canicula Infernalis

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Thu, 27. Apr 23, 20:46

blender saves a lot more information than xmf or dae. those are a lot smaller. and im greatefull for that ^^ thats why its big. if u put a blend file into a .rar its only a fraction of its original size tho.

the bridge is a prefab or "xref" engine bodys work the same way, if u need more examples. there is a point defined where the game loads in the bridge. also bridges are invisible from the outside but ive never figured out how that works. it does not work if u put a bridge on an M ship.

we can make more of any 3d asset. if u want x4 materials there is still the issue with the multimat material tho.

Magenta_Lord

Re: [WIP][Tutorial] Building your own ship for dummies 2

Post by Magenta_Lord » Tue, 23. May 23, 17:49

Hi, guys can you help me to find my mod issues?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1htuiTK ... share_link

t00thPIK
x4

Post by t00thPIK » Tue, 20. Jun 23, 05:30

Hi Brumm,

Thanks for putting this together for us, and updating it constantly.

I had an issue from the very start. When I "built" the Cubix mod and got to the point "you should now see Cubix listed in the Extensions section in the main menu. You should see the Cubix ship in the Argon shipyard (warf) too". Well, the mod is there in the extensions. The ship is listed and selectable in the Argon warf, but it has no hull mesh attached. The only things that show up are the pilot seat, docking bay for the spacesuit and the engine/weapon/shield mounts. The actual ship mesh itself is invisible. I followed the instructions from scratch two times, double checked everything and ended up in the same place both times.

Now some modders on the Egosoft Discord suggested I check the debug file. I haven't done that yet as I moved on to extracting a different model that I want to modify and started playing with that.

Speaking of: the model I extracted to play with is the Terran L mineral miner. I am just curious if anyone could tell me why the cargo containers collision mesh is offset on this model? It's offset by a very long way compared to the position of the actual ship hull mesh. I haven't tried to collide with the ship to find out how it's functioning in game yet. I'm curious about this given you made a point of saying the collision mesh should be as close to aligned as possible with the original mesh, which makes complete sense. Yet Egosoft themselves have a collision mesh misaligned drastically on one of their ships.

Thanks again for the guide. I'll get to troubleshooting my invisible mesh issue as soon as I have a moment.

BrummBear02
x3ap

Post by BrummBear02 » Fri, 23. Jun 23, 23:37

t00thPIK wrote:
Tue, 20. Jun 23, 05:30
Hi Brumm,

Thanks for putting this together for us, and updating it constantly.

I had an issue from the very start. When I "built" the Cubix mod and got to the point "you should now see Cubix listed in the Extensions section in the main menu. You should see the Cubix ship in the Argon shipyard (warf) too". Well, the mod is there in the extensions. The ship is listed and selectable in the Argon warf, but it has no hull mesh attached. The only things that show up are the pilot seat, docking bay for the spacesuit and the engine/weapon/shield mounts. The actual ship mesh itself is invisible. I followed the instructions from scratch two times, double checked everything and ended up in the same place both times.

Now some modders on the Egosoft Discord suggested I check the debug file. I haven't done that yet as I moved on to extracting a different model that I want to modify and started playing with that.

Speaking of: the model I extracted to play with is the Terran L mineral miner. I am just curious if anyone could tell me why the cargo containers collision mesh is offset on this model? It's offset by a very long way compared to the position of the actual ship hull mesh. I haven't tried to collide with the ship to find out how it's functioning in game yet. I'm curious about this given you made a point of saying the collision mesh should be as close to aligned as possible with the original mesh, which makes complete sense. Yet Egosoft themselves have a collision mesh misaligned drastically on one of their ships.

Thanks again for the guide. I'll get to troubleshooting my invisible mesh issue as soon as I have a moment.
Firstly: this tutorial is a bit outdated. second: i need to know if you are using the old converter or the new egosoft tools. this sounds like a pathing issue, meaning you ****** up the path to the geometry, or a scaling issue. meaning your actual ship is scaled down to 0.01

the collision thing might be due to the converter, that thing is community made and sometimes generates weird stuff. decals on some weapons are offset for example. collision needs to be almost identical with your ship. also: the new jolt stuff means you need convex hulls, which are only generated by the new tools

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”