[WIP] [TC] X3 Galaxy

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Masterdude420
x4

Re: [WIP] [TC] X3 Galaxy

Post by Masterdude420 » Sun, 16. Dec 18, 23:27

very cool idea after they get X4 running on a stable version and I played it for some time. I will take a look at this for sure! I will be definitely interested in this and wish you good luck 8)
(with the addons in the future, the map could get completed one day:)

celludriel
x4

Post by celludriel » Sun, 16. Dec 18, 23:29

Hornet108 wrote:
Sun, 16. Dec 18, 23:17
We could also see if we could use the tool to get the galaxy to a point and then handcraft from there

I don't have time to do the R&D (might next weekend tho!), but I am a professional software dev, if you can tell me how to handcraft connecting two sectors via a highway, I'd be happy to take on the legwork of connecting just the argon prime sectors as a POC until we are happy the galaxy is stable

FWIW, you're doing gods work. The new map in x4 is woefully small.
UniTraderToday at 11:06 PM
@Celludriel why not just defining entry and exit? or leave out the direction nodes?

UniTraderToday at 11:07 PM
i think if you dont define the direction nodes, but just the path points it will automatically generate a smooth curve(edited)
CelludrielToday at 11:07 PM
you think that would work ?
worth a shot
on the other hand people hate highways just a few like them
doubling travel speed might be the more popular solution

UniTraderToday at 11:07 PM
well, i experimented with highway tubes a few years back :smile:
and even wrote my own :smile:

CelludrielToday at 11:08 PM
mmm k I'll try it tomorrow as experiment
although my double travel speed feels like a good move as well
now to think of it ...
highways can't cross clusters ... that guy want me to put a highway all around argon prime
thats technically not possible ...
I can do one inside a cluster ... but not cross

UniTraderToday at 11:16 PM
@Celludriel but you can lead a tube into the gate and out of them..
sooooooo technically it could work ... but can't we just increase the speeds :(
We could also see if we could use the tool to get the galaxy to a point and then handcraft from there
This I won't do though, cause if I have to regenerate everything later for some reason , maybe they changed the xml structure, then I would have to do all the manual work again. Rather not have that headache. The json needs to generate everything and make it playable, that's the goal

Masterdude420
x4

Post by Masterdude420 » Sun, 16. Dec 18, 23:56

sry for interrupting but I think no highways or maybe only in capital sectors is better, more like X3.. and if the fast travel mode is even faster why not ;)

qwizzie
x4

Post by qwizzie » Sun, 16. Dec 18, 23:59

Masterdude420 wrote:
Sun, 16. Dec 18, 23:56
sry for interrupting but I think no highways or maybe only in capital sectors is better, more like X3.. and if the fast travel mode is even faster why not ;)
I fully agree with no highways. Although as compromise OP could perhaps make two versions of this x3 galaxy mod : one without highways (current mod) and one version down the road with highways (if OP still wants to put time and energy into it for such version).
Personally though i like current mod with just normal jumpgates / accelerators, that feels far more like X3.. with SETA and Travel Speed (possibly enhanced a bit) thats enough for me.

lavak9
x4

Post by lavak9 » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 00:39

@celludriel
regarding the game starts the ship is absolutely right, I refer to the actual character you are, not sure if that can be changed.

"Ever since you hatched from your egg you have been enamored with value and money, in fact they were your most spoken words during your adolescent 'eggspeak'
When your eyes started to change from the pale yellow that marks Teladi youth to the deep red of a mature citizen in the great trade empire the others looked at you with a sense you should leave the planetside and seek out the life of a true Teladi.
With that you gather your belongings and sell them all, buying a modest ship to begin your great search for the universes greatest profitssss!"

I could do some more if people enjoy that one.

Hornet108
x4

Post by Hornet108 » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 01:30

Played it for a few hours tonight, everything seemed to be working except there weren't any silicon refineries to be found? Cheated myself a mining fleet and set it to mine silicon, they filled up and then just sat there ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Saw a xenon invasion into paranid space while I was there and ships were building at the start, but, without silicon things will quickly grind to a halt

celludriel
x4

Post by celludriel » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 01:43

Hornet108 wrote:
Mon, 17. Dec 18, 01:30
Played it for a few hours tonight, everything seemed to be working except there weren't any silicon refineries to be found? Cheated myself a mining fleet and set it to mine silicon, they filled up and then just sat there ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Saw a xenon invasion into paranid space while I was there and ships were building at the start, but, without silicon things will quickly grind to a halt
I'll look into it could be a god.xml bug (file is really called like that)

celludriel
x4

Post by celludriel » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 03:00

I have pushed some changes to develop

- stations might be closer spawning to the center of the region between the gates ... hopefully not quite sure what

Code: Select all

<defaults>
		  <location newzonechance="0.25" coreboundaryzoneheight="20000">
			<corerange max="1.3"/>
		  </location>
		  <modules production="5" storage="10" />
		  <quota zone="3" />
		</defaults>
in god.xml stations tag actually does

- I doubled the travelmode speed of all engines, not sure yet if this is the best idea, but well things go fast in IT ...

@hornet

Are you sure there are no silicon refineries cause this is in the god file

Code: Select all

<product id="arg_siliconwafers" ware="siliconwafers" owner="argon" type="factory">
          <quotas>
            <quota galaxy="6"  sector="4" />
          </quotas>
          <location class="galaxy" macro="x3g_galaxy_macro" faction="[argon,hatikvah]" relation="self" comparison="ge">
            <economy max="0.5" maxbound="false" />
            <region ware="silicon" max="80000" />
          </location>
          <module>
            <select ware="siliconwafers" race="argon" faction="argon"/>
          </module>
        </product>
If I understand it correctly there should be min 6 in the galaxy and max 4 in one sector, they should be there !

TR0LL
x4

Post by TR0LL » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 05:42

I dont think doubling the travel speed of engines is a good idea, you are going to run into conflicts with other mods down the line. I also no not want to see Jumpdrives return, without them sectors can actually set up defenses and choke points. and the economy has to take proximity into account, jumpdrives ruin all of that. Also just modding in Jumpdrives would only help the player I assume as I don't think that the factions would use it correctly without some major work to their AI. Also I assume that having all research unlocked by default is just temporary?

Did you see my post about the Argon Saga start being bugged? only one engine and no weapons, 10k credits, not enough to buy a weapon.

celludriel
x4

Post by celludriel » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 09:40

TR0LL wrote:
Mon, 17. Dec 18, 05:42
I dont think doubling the travel speed of engines is a good idea, you are going to run into conflicts with other mods down the line. I also no not want to see Jumpdrives return, without them sectors can actually set up defenses and choke points. and the economy has to take proximity into account, jumpdrives ruin all of that. Also just modding in Jumpdrives would only help the player I assume as I don't think that the factions would use it correctly without some major work to their AI. Also I assume that having all research unlocked by default is just temporary?

Did you see my post about the Argon Saga start being bugged? only one engine and no weapons, 10k credits, not enough to buy a weapon.
Jumpdrives will not be programmed in that was more a joke. The research is fully unlocked because the gui for research is directly tied with the playerHQ quest from the vanilla game. There is a hardcoded link so I had to compromise. For the most part at the moment research is a dumb time sink anyway. All research only takes ten minutes no matter how far down the tree and X games usually last days and it doesn't really matter much if you unlock it all 2 hours into the game or have it straight away. To much headache to fix the hardcoded link with the PHQ, we tried me and some other modders, we all decided on two things. Either we spawn in a PHQ somewhere or we unlock the full research at the start.

The saga isn't exactly bugged, I designed it this way, it was meant to be a harsh start. Usually one signal repair mission is enough to buy a single pulse laser. I can change it that the ship has at least one laser if it's to harsh a start

celludriel
x4

Post by celludriel » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 10:19

lavak9 wrote:
Mon, 17. Dec 18, 00:39
@celludriel
regarding the game starts the ship is absolutely right, I refer to the actual character you are, not sure if that can be changed.

"Ever since you hatched from your egg you have been enamored with value and money, in fact they were your most spoken words during your adolescent 'eggspeak'
When your eyes started to change from the pale yellow that marks Teladi youth to the deep red of a mature citizen in the great trade empire the others looked at you with a sense you should leave the planetside and seek out the life of a true Teladi.
With that you gather your belongings and sell them all, buying a modest ship to begin your great search for the universes greatest profitssss!"

I could do some more if people enjoy that one.
I think I fixed the character problem, not sure since I couldn't get an external view of my avatar on my ship, but I changed the player macro and the game didn't crash so I think it's ok. Also can you write me three more for the other gamestarts ? I'm not great at that kind of stuff. "I'm a programmer jim, not a copywriter"

lavak9
x4

Post by lavak9 » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 11:36

celludriel wrote:
Mon, 17. Dec 18, 10:19
lavak9 wrote:
Mon, 17. Dec 18, 00:39
...snip
I think I fixed the character problem, not sure since I couldn't get an external view of my avatar on my ship, but I changed the player macro and the game didn't crash so I think it's ok. Also can you write me three more for the other gamestarts ? I'm not great at that kind of stuff. "I'm a programmer jim, not a copywriter"
The Argon Saga
"The Argon Federation is a proud place to call home: the center of culture, science and learning in the universe. This pride is born of a long and storied history; of a bold and daring risk to lure the greatest threat the universe has known away from Earth and a sacrifice to save a home they would never return to. The Argon people were forced to began anew in a place unfamiliar to them and have thrived since. Do you have what it takes to continue this saga?"

I'll work on a few more for you.

celludriel
x4

Post by celludriel » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 12:26

small update
============
- I've added in the teladi and argon gamestart descriptions
- first iteration of claimable objects , somewere in the galaxy there is a M xenon miner ship to be claimed, it's really good "fortune"

OneOfMany
x4

Post by OneOfMany » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 13:05

Tried this yesterday and the Teladi start had 2 Xenon m's bearing down on me before I got to safety. Tried it several times and it must be a rnd thing.

celludriel
x4

Post by celludriel » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 13:18

OneOfMany wrote:
Mon, 17. Dec 18, 13:05
Tried this yesterday and the Teladi start had 2 Xenon m's bearing down on me before I got to safety. Tried it several times and it must be a rnd thing.
I'll add at least a single pulse laser :), Seems no weapon starts is not the way to go

TR0LL
x4

Post by TR0LL » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 18:50

celludriel wrote:
Mon, 17. Dec 18, 09:40
TR0LL wrote:
Mon, 17. Dec 18, 05:42

Jumpdrives will not be programmed in that was more a joke. The research is fully unlocked because the gui for research is directly tied with the playerHQ quest from the vanilla game. There is a hardcoded link so I had to compromise. For the most part at the moment research is a dumb time sink anyway. All research only takes ten minutes no matter how far down the tree and X games usually last days and it doesn't really matter much if you unlock it all 2 hours into the game or have it straight away. To much headache to fix the hardcoded link with the PHQ, we tried me and some other modders, we all decided on two things. Either we spawn in a PHQ somewhere or we unlock the full research at the start.

The saga isn't exactly bugged, I designed it this way, it was meant to be a harsh start. Usually one signal repair mission is enough to buy a single pulse laser. I can change it that the ship has at least one laser if it's to harsh a start
Ah, I use a mod that makes research take time and materials, so it is more interesting, it would be nice if we had a way to have a PHQ constructed, and then that allows access to research.

I see what you are trying to do with the Argon Saga start, problem I had was that in the first two sectors I went to there were no missions that I could do. no repair, or delivery, I couldn't even make med kits because one of the components was never sold at the traders.

celludriel
x4

Post by celludriel » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 21:17

Sooooooo since that other person showed his entired finished galaxy I did feel a little hurt in my honour ... just a tad soooooo

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... F4685DB20/
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... D0F1E7E87/

... Don't get to excited I do not think this full galaxy will be any fun to play or even possible to balance right (also I haven't put in the connections yet, but neither did he :P)

Riccardoman
x4

Post by Riccardoman » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 22:05

Competition is great for us other lazy people :lol:

wesley32
x4

Post by wesley32 » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 22:06

Sorry didn’t mean to offend you buddy, wasn’t even aware you were working on the same thing till someone told me in another thread. I’ll let you have the honours of releasing the x3 galaxy mod since you were first ^^

celludriel
x4

Post by celludriel » Mon, 17. Dec 18, 22:17

wesley32 wrote:
Mon, 17. Dec 18, 22:06
Sorry didn’t mean to offend you buddy, wasn’t even aware you were working on the same thing till someone told me in another thread. I’ll let you have the honours of releasing the x3 galaxy mod since you were first ^^
Lol I was just joking around lol, yours is pure X3 AP anyhow mine is Mayhem. I'm not really offended , just "challenged" :) So I had to make the entire Galaxy instead of my little corner. This is just an experiment anyhow. My primary work is make my smaller piece of the galaxy work and fun to play. This big one can wait for a later time, like I said I haven't add any connection yet

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”