Egosoft, Is it okay to import assets from X:Rebirth?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Re: Egosoft, Is it okay to import assets from X:Rebirth?

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Sat, 8. Dec 18, 02:42

RWolf wrote:
Sat, 8. Dec 18, 02:18
You would think Egosoft would want to do that on their own, since XR had better station and ship assets. They are pretty much going to waste in XR. A lot of X4 assets are straight lazily designed, with symmetrical textures (UV overlap) and models.
I am still 50/50 about X4 I brought it now because I have all the others and it would be a shame not to have this one, however I am well aware that every X-game performs sketchy in the first six months as usually US the community have to go and fix everything and we get like 2-3 patches every two weeks from Egosoft and then after the major bugs are gone we get the "missing" content and features. Look at Rebirth for example on this it took almost two years to full develope into the game it should have been at launch.

What X4 appears to be is Rebirth's engine progress transitioned into a half-finished dev cycle to please X3 fans, So far I am amused in some ways annoyed in others as while flying in space I have well into the 70s FPS but I land on any station ANY AT ALL and the frame rate tanks to 25fps and adjusting the video settings to low or anything makes no difference what so ever. I sort of think it is because of my now well dated Intel i7 3820, but the AMD R9 290x I have should be able to run this just fine.

Tho yes you would think they would have just ADDED the stuff missing from X3 into Rebirth and extended the shit out of it into a new title. I am actually unsure how they managed to backtrack the IMO ONLY GOOD THING about Rebirth (gfx and stations)
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*
MOD GemFX Real Space Shaders
MOD Variety and Rebalance Overhaul Icon Pack
I lost my Hans and should not be flying Solo.

Reaperxvii
x3ap

Post by Reaperxvii » Sat, 8. Dec 18, 03:24

I actually had a thread on the steam forums on lack of ship types but I'll post my response to someone here as well

"My only real complaint with the logic that the modding community or egosoft themselves will add more ships/weapons/ I PRAY EFFECTS AND TEXTURES. Is the fact the game launced as a "finished game" now granted I didn't expect it to launch as well as it did, BUT, thats no excuse for the lack of...I don't want to say content but I can't think of another word, assets?

At this point I don't think anyone would have complained if egosoft dropped this as an Early access title and knocked 10 or so bucks off of it, but to release me a full game and say "its okay will add more later or better yet you guys will add more! Here's enough to get started!".

PLEASE don't think I'm bashing egosoft, I understand its a 20 man team I have the utmost respect for them making the x-games, BUT, only giving us 1 of each racial ship, with only 3 diffrent racial ships to choose from (m1/m2 ext), and then giving them all the SAME weapons and making the varietys themselves look EXTREMLY similiar just rubs me the wrong way I guess.

I've actually gone back to playing x-rebirth because at the moment I enjoy it more then x-4, not a popular opinion I'm sure but the feel of the game is much nicer, better music, textures, effects, variety in ships (especially because I have idk how many ship packs and mods, including my own ship pack xD). Hell if they made it where I could fly any ship in re-birth and ported the new station build system I'd be in heaven.

Also another minor complaint wtf is with the new "goods" list. I miss seeing the wall of stuff a ship needs like fusion reactors, scanning arrays, generators, reinforced plates, ext. Now its just "hull components and energy cells" for a base hull?

TLDR - I'm sure x4 will become amazing and blow rebirth out of the water in 3-6 months, but until then I feel like this game is a lobotomized x3 thrown together on the x-rebirth engine but with worse textures/effect/music/variety and then spewed out and praised because "it works!"."
"We are the middle children of History. Born too late to explore the earth, born to early to explore the stars."

"Time is the fire in which we burn"

Reaper's Mod Index

Adimanther
x3

Post by Adimanther » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 18:02

Dear Egosoft: i didn't buy your X Rebirth game because for me the main drives in your games are great ship design and capturing enemy ships. I haven't bought X4 either because the ships looks less good than X Rebirth and even X3. If people port XR ships in X4 i will at least buy X4. Many people like me just like to fly cool ships, go pew pew and capture ships. We're not Germans, so we don't like Truck Simulator 2018 (in space). Please don't start telling modders how to fix your games. It's going to hurt your business in the end.

Frstwlfz
x4

Post by Frstwlfz » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 19:07

Adimanther wrote:
Mon, 10. Dec 18, 18:02
Dear Egosoft: i didn't buy your X Rebirth game because for me the main drives in your games are great ship design and capturing enemy ships. I haven't bought X4 either because the ships looks less good than X Rebirth and even X3. If people port XR ships in X4 i will at least buy X4. Many people like me just like to fly cool ships, go pew pew and capture ships. We're not Germans, so we don't like Truck Simulator 2018 (in space). Please don't start telling modders how to fix your games. It's going to hurt your business in the end.
Putting aside the dubious comment about Germans, you shouldn't blame Egosoft for how you choose to play the game. It's not advertised as a space dog fight simulator, it's a 4X. If you choose to ignore 3/4th of the game, don't expect a fully fleshed out product. Also, while the game has flaws, I think the gameplay has improved a lot since X3 (I haven't played XR enough to judge).

While I think supporting modding all the way is only beneficial (see CDPR), at the end of the day it's their assets and their rules. I'd like a clearer answer than "Yes but not too many." though.

StormMagi
x4

Post by StormMagi » Mon, 10. Dec 18, 20:28

I wouldn't mind some of the industrial and combat ships.. The Sucellus.... mmmm tastey
MOD XR Show Skills

Flying spaceships since 1993.

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Tue, 11. Dec 18, 13:00

Nobody said nothing about porting rebirth workshop ship packs :P
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*

conquestor
x3ap

Post by conquestor » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 03:48

All I want is the (working) ayosana from XR:NF :P It's an industrial ship that's scripted to repair other ships. You give it a repair in area command, and ships that go by it will dock it it/get repaired over time based on the engineering skill.

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 04:21

ledhead900 wrote:
Tue, 11. Dec 18, 13:00
Ya know most of those ship packs were just other ships cut into pieces and pasted together right? :P

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Thu, 13. Dec 18, 13:31

Requiemfang wrote:
Thu, 13. Dec 18, 04:21
ledhead900 wrote:
Tue, 11. Dec 18, 13:00
Ya know most of those ship packs were just other ships cut into pieces and pasted together right? :P
Which is exactly what we are going to have to do to get them into X4 8) , considering we don't have cockpits for a lot of X:R ships.
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”