How can I make my own gamestarts?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Scripting / Modding Moderators, Moderators for English X Forum

SODANK
x4

How can I make my own gamestarts?

Post by SODANK » Sat, 1. Aug 20, 19:49

(.___.)/

Hello, first time posting here and relatively new fan to the X series thanks to rebirth and finally getting a PC good enough to play X4.

I'm really invested into this game and I'm considering on trying to learn how to make some simple mods for it, biggest idea right now is that I'd like to create my own gamestarts that have their own starting gimmick and challange so I don't have to depend on the vanilla starts or the sometimes OP starts other players have made.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the guides and tools I'd need to make this happen?

Thanks!

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: How can I make my own gamestarts?

Post by euclid » Sat, 1. Aug 20, 20:38

Welcome SODANK,

Best recomendation is to check out the scripts of existing game start mods, for example this by BoostHungry. If you get stuck somewhere then please do not hesitate to ask here ;-)

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

SODANK
x4

Post by SODANK » Sat, 1. Aug 20, 20:43

euclid wrote:
Sat, 1. Aug 20, 20:38
Welcome SODANK,

Best recomendation is to check out the scripts of existing game start mods, for example this by BoostHungry. If you get stuck somewhere then please do not hesitate to ask here ;-)

Cheers Euclid

I appreciatethe response, but I'm still confused on what to do with it. I don't know anything about scripts or how to look them over.

What kind of programs would I need to examine the script or make my own?

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sat, 1. Aug 20, 20:55

Please check the "invisible" sticky here. It provides basic information on how to start modding. For your game start mod unpacking the gamefiles is optional but in doing so you can learn a lot by checking the vanilla scripts (there are several game start scripts). There also is a script command overview in html format amongst the unpacked files and several csl files which define all of the script commands.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

SODANK
x4

Post by SODANK » Sun, 2. Aug 20, 06:34

euclid wrote:
Sat, 1. Aug 20, 20:55
Please check the "invisible" sticky here. It provides basic information on how to start modding. For your game start mod unpacking the gamefiles is optional but in doing so you can learn a lot by checking the vanilla scripts (there are several game start scripts). There also is a script command overview in html format amongst the unpacked files and several csl files which define all of the script commands.

Cheers Euclid
Please bare with me as this is certainly some skill I have no real experience with. I barely understand most of the terminology being tossed around in the thread. I'm very much a layman when it comes to all this.

So i got the catalog tool, i put it in the X4 dictionary, easy enough.

I got Notepad+++... Never used this before so little unsure how I'm suppose to incorporate it with the catalog tool - However - I did try and put two-and-two together and opened up a new file in Notepad, copy and pasted that unpack.bat code you left, saved the file as .bat in the X4 dictionary and i assume that's the one thing i did right so far.

I have zero idea what I'm looking at with AstroGrep, I'm hoping you can clarify how'd i would use it.

I did figure out how to import the files from X4 into the catlog tool and see the long list of all the data. I can read well enough and figure out "Oh, those are my mods/extensions" and even notice the official gamestart files, problem is I don't know what to do with any of these items listed off. Can't right click them, tried "extracting" an item or two to a folder off to the side, but nothing happened.

I would appreciate some further clarification, thank you.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sun, 2. Aug 20, 15:35

SODANK wrote:
Sun, 2. Aug 20, 06:34
.....However - I did try and put two-and-two together and opened up a new file in Notepad, copy and pasted that unpack.bat code you left, saved the file as .bat in the X4 dictionary and i assume that's the one thing i did right so far.....
Then you just run the batch file and wait ;-) It should extract all vanilla files from the cat files into a new folder "unpacked". But I guess you did that already because
....even notice the official gamestart files...
Notpad++ (or VC) is the tool to open, edit and create xml files. Just use it to check the structure of the gamestart files (the vanilla and/or the user created - see link in my post above). It should give you an idea of the general format of those files. You will see that they determine things like the start location, the player ship, money, reputation etc.. You can now copy and rename it, then edit it to your liking, i.e. applying changes you wish to have in your gamestart.

I have zero idea what I'm looking at with AstroGrep, I'm hoping you can clarify how'd i would use it.
It is a tool that allows to search specific expressions within certain (prefix) files. For example, if you are not sure how to use a particular command like event_ then you chose the unpacked directory, subfolder scripts (or md), select file type *.xml and the search term event_. It will then display all xml files in that folder which contain event_ . Check those files to help to understand the usage of that command. In the main unpacked folder you also should see an html file scriptproperties. As I've mentioned before, it contains the structure of many xml commands. If you need a specific one and are not sure how to use it then use AstroGrep to search the vanilla files for that in order to see how it is used there.

Once you've done with your own gamestart file you need to create a mod folder. The details are explained in the sticky post.

Cheers Euclid

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”