Download link: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations ... escription
The purpose of this mod is to enhance the sounds of X4 Foundations and give them a more cinematic aspect than in vanilla.
Changed sounds include :
- And more...
The sound effects used in this mod come from a variety of sources, such as other games (Batman Arkham Knight, Elite Dangerous, Starpoint Gemini, Homeworld), royalty free sounds as well as a few custom sounds I created specifically for this mod.
Check this video to get an idea of the changes:
2. What this mod will NOT be
This mod does not intend to be a full replacement of all the in-game sounds. I might modify additional sounds in the future if I find satisfying alternatives or new ideas, but no promises.
3. Mono vs. Stereo
For this mod, I chose to use stereo sounds for some effects to get the best quality. However, in doing so, sounds are not as well spatialised. Furthermore, some users reported a few glitches, as the engine doesn't always handle stereo very well. I had no issue on my end during testing, so I think it may vary depending on the configuration and I unfortunately can't fix it.
For that reason, there is now a 100% mono version of the mod, so you no longer have to stick with stereo if it is not your cup of tea or if you experience glitches. It offers good spatialisation and a possible smoother experience than stereo.
I still recommend the stereo version as it is IMHO the best sounding of the two , but now you're free to get whichever version you prefer!
X4 Sound Overhaul is save game compatible.
This mod should be compatible with other mods, except of course anything changing the sound effects.
It should be compatible with Variety and Balance Overhaul - VRO should simply overwrite some sounds from my mod.
- CREATE A BACKUP OF YOUR SAVES (Just in case...)
- Extract the files from the archive
- Copy the "x4_sound_overhaul" folder in the "extensions" repertory located in the main game directory (where the game executable is). For example : C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\X4 Foundations\extensions or C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\X4 Foundations\extensions. You'll have to create the extensions folder if you do not have one already.
- The mod should now appear in the extensions menu of your game.
Delete the "x4_sound_overhaul" folder from your "extensions" repertory.
7. Special Thanks
Thanks to EsoKerman on the Egosoft forums, for helping me publish the mono version quicker and ensure the compatibility of the mod with Linux and Mac.
Thanks to Shuulo for helping me fix and improve my script.