Invisible virtualized mouse cursor in map ui [Gamepad, GeforceNow]

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

kirapick

Invisible virtualized mouse cursor in map ui [Gamepad, GeforceNow]

Post by kirapick » Mon, 18. Mar 24, 20:27

Hello dear Egosoft humans.

I would like to kindly ask you if you could address this issue -if possible on your end- with one of the upcoming updates to improve the games accessibility for some users (me included).

# Environment:
I (have to) play X4 via Nvidia's GeforceNow service with the following "setup".
MacBook Air M1-whatever with updated osx.
Nvidia GeForce NOW Application at the newest public version for MacOSX
Xbox One gamepad connected per USB via a USB-Port/Adapter to the Mac Books USB C port.

# Issue:
In the universe map UI in a new/existing game at any given point, the mouse coursers dynamic graphic icon is only displayed but not bound to the virtualized mouse that I can control with the controllers stick.
I can see the response of the virtualized mouse courser as it hovers and highlights the ui elements & I can interact with the ui as well.
Nevertheless it is quite hard to control a mouse courser that you can't see.

# Additional notes:
Reproduction wise, the issue already occurred with earlier major game versions, and has been reported by at least one other user some time ago:
https://www.reddit.com/r/X4Foundations/ ... force_now/
I tried different ideas to fix it myself via setups like emulating the joystick as a mouse & the steam controller api, the in game settings (Controller on/off, bind mouse to window, rebinding keys, etc. pp.) and other options on my end like the Mac mouse/trackpad settings etc. all without success.

# Possible fix:
Graphic/Render wise binding of the virtualized mouse of the controller to the visualized mouse within the UI/Hud system.

As you can read I do not have any expertise in coding or programming but I'm confident you could find the issues source.
If you need additional information, screenshots or a video to understand the issue/help, please let me know.

Many thanks for your time in advance,

Simeon.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Invisible virtualized mouse cursor in map ui [Gamepad, GeforceNow]

Post by CBJ » Mon, 18. Mar 24, 22:04

Unfortunately this is not something we have any control over. The game has no knowledge of GeForce Now or of its virtualised mouse cursor; as far as the game is concerned, it's running on a normal PC like any other. The GeForce Now "layer" sits entirely on top of that, sending signals between the GeForce Now application running on your PC and the virtual PC on the server. None of those signals reach the game.

kirapick

Post by kirapick » Tue, 19. Mar 24, 03:37

Many thanks for your fast and comprehensive reply.
So I have to ask Nvidia if they can look into the issue of their software.

Many thanks for keeping on with the continuous development & improvement of X4 & the X series in general.
Have a good time & may your codes run smoothly as water,

Simeon

kirapick

Post by kirapick » Tue, 16. Apr 24, 12:20

Hello,

in regards to transparency & search engine crawlers, here is an update about the issues current state at Nvidia's support department (read bottom to top):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer (Simeon) via channel 'CSS Web' 04/14/2024 11:15 PM
Hello Troy,

please read the issues history if you have access to it.
The Issue & links you described/provided got already ruled out some time ago in the tickets history.

I do understand that you may often have to deal with user errors. But slowly this support case gets a little hilarious (no offense meant).
It does may help needle down the issue, if your team gets directly into contact with Egosoft GmbH to figure out what technical problem is occurring here.
Nevertheless if you have any new ideas, do not hesitate asking me to try out, as I'm willing to provide info/help as much as I can.

Many thanks & Kind regards,
Simeon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Staff Account (Troy) via channel 'Email' 04/12/2024 04:51 PM
Hello Simeon,

Thanks for contacting NVIDIA technical support L2.

I can try to help or point you in the right direction.

The cursor problem you cite is a problem with the game itself that even happens on real PC's and not just a virtual PC.

viewtopic.php?t=402604
https://steamcommunity.com/app/392160/d ... 005305807/

I suggest you try disabling the freelook and High light Cursor setting in the game if you have changed this.

Best Regards,
Troy
NVIDIA Customer Care L2

Customer (Simeon) via channel 'CSS Web' 04/11/2024 12:36 PM
Hello Inamdar,

sorry for the late reply and many thanks for informing about the state.
No need to rush because of me. I'd rather like sustaining fixes compared to the quick ones and will monitor the ticket in case of contact.
Thanks again for helping, also to all those who have been in the loop so far.

Looking forward & Kind Regards,
Simeon

Staff Account (Inamdar) via channel 'Email' 04/05/2024 06:21 PM
Hello Simeon,

Than you for your update,

Your case is being escalated to our Level 2 Tech Support group. The Level 2 agents will review the case notes and will contact you back with further options. As this process may take some time we ask that you be patient and a Level 2 tech will contact you as soon they can to help resolve your issue.

Best Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care

Customer (Simeon) via channel 'CSS Web' 04/05/2024 12:12 PM
Hello Benito,

sorry, this was my mistake. I should have done that already.
So here is what I did:
-> I deinstalled the GFN Application
-> I upgraded the Mac to the newest current OS (see attached screenshot)
-> I installed the official GFN Mac application .dmg downloaded from the official website
-> I Restarted the Mac & Started the GFN Application as well as the game
= The issue is still persistent without any recognizable change in behavior.

Many thanks for your continuous effort & help.
I'm looking forward and do quite hope the Team can find a fix.

Kind Regards,
Simeon

Staff Account (Benito) via channel 'Email' 04/04/2024 11:28 AM
Hello Simeon,

Thank you for writing back to us.

We see that the Operating system version is in macOS Ventura. The MacBook Air M1 2020 can be upgraded to Sonoma, please click the link below for more information.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/105113

Although GeForce NOW is compatible with your OS , newer versions of the app would have more stable support with newer operating systems, hence would you mind upgrading the OS to Sonoma , then re-install GeForce NOW's application and re-test? Apologies in advance as I am aware this is a tedious process.

How to upgrade to macOS Sonoma

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,
Benito
NVIDIA Customer Care

Customer (Simeon) via channel 'CSS Web' 04/04/2024 07:28 AM
Hello Benito,

Thank you for your answer.
If I will get the opportunity of different hardware, I will report back as soon as possible.
In the mean time, please find attached the requested screenshot showing the full model details.

I hope it helps. And have a good day.

Kind Regards,
Simeon

Staff Account (Benito) via channel 'Email' 04/03/2024 02:08 PM
Hello Simeon,

Thank you for writing back to us and sorry to hear there aren't any improvements.

If you do get an opportunity to test with other devices then please do try and you may take all the time you require. In the meantime we shall continue to troubleshoot with your device.

Could you let us know the full Model details of your Mac book? Please do visit the link https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/m ... r35536/mac for instructions to access the Mac PC's system information and please do share a screenshot of this.

Best regards,
Benito
NVIDIA Customer Care

Customer (Simeon) via channel 'CSS Web' 04/03/2024 03:44 AM
Hello Benito,

Thanks for your reply & then hints towards the forum references.
Here is what I tried with todays updated GFN-Application (v 2.0.61.148/ro):
- I turned off Mouse Acceleration via console by following the instructions in the link you provided.
- I never used the app F.lux (nor similar apps) but I made sure, there is no process like that running.
- Additionally I retested the windowed mode settings like some users suggested in the referenced forums.
Result: The issue persists in the exact same form/nothing changed.

I'm sorry, but I'm living quite rural & simple and I do not have a Windows PC or a SmartTV, nor do I have the possibility to connect the Xbox one controller to my mobile phone to test if it works with the GFN iOS App (different USB port I have no adapter for).
But I will look & ask around and maybe can find a possibility for testing the Game like you asked - unfortunately I can't promise & it may take some time.

Again many thanks for your help and

Kind Regards,
Simeon

Staff Account (Benito) via channel 'Email' 04/02/2024 01:46 AM
Hello Simeon,

Thanks for the detailed update.

GeForce NOW in Safari on a Mac OS is not officially support hence the behaviors and interactions would be erratic.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce-no ... s/#browser

Going through this issue in Egosoft's and other X4 Foundation forums , a common recurrence of this issue is noticed(In windows PC's) when using Pointer trails or enabling pointer while typing and when using an app/service called as F.lux . Disabling these features was the fix for most users. Below are some references.

viewtopic.php?t=402604

https://steamcommunity.com/app/392160/d ... 092041549/

We do understand that these are with Windows PC's and not on GeForce NOW but would like to rule out any similar possibilities in your device as well, hence could you try the following:

- Turn Off Mouse Acceleration in Mac by following the instructions listed in the link below.

https://www.lifewire.com/turn-off-mouse ... ac-6503047

- Next do you use the app F.lux in your Mac PC? If yes can you disable or uninstall it and let us know if the issue remains?

Additionally, would you mind testing testing X4 Foundations in GeForce NOW and with and without the Xbox controller on a Windows PC or Android IOS Mobile Phone or Android/Smart TV and let us know if the issue reproduces?

Best regards,
Benito
NVIDIA Customer Care

---------------------------

Customer (Simeon) via channel 'CSS Web' 04/01/2024 03:52 AM
Hello Inamdar,

Thank you for your response.
I tested the game on a fresh installement of the Chrome browser, and just out of curiosity I tested the Safari browser too.
Here are the results:

- Chrome (v123.0.6312.87 (Official Build) (arm64)):
--> The Xbox one controller does get activated/recognized after logging in via play.geforcenow.com & the controller buttons do work just like using the native GFN application. However the cursor issue behaves exactly the same like when using the application.
(--> Just as a comparison: I tested the Game "Ghost Recon Breakpoint" (which uses the controllers right stick as mouse navigation in the games menus) via the Chrome browser too. And just like playing that game with the Native GFN application, the mouse cursor works fine & as intended.)

- Safari (v17.3.1 (18617.2.4.11.12, 18617):
--> No controller recognition in general. Starting the native GFN Application on the Mac usually activates the Xbox one controller - this is not the case using the Safari browser. The activation seems to also not be forced via the "Xbox"- neither the "connect"-button) - nevertheless the trackpad works as intended with the games mouse cursor.

I do hope this helps.
If I can provide any additional feedback, do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks for your continuous support & have a good start into the week,
Simeon

Staff Account (Inamdar) via channel 'Email' 03/30/2024 11:01 AM
Hello Simeon,

Thank you for your update and feedback.

Just to isolate it, could you please test the game on the Chrome browser on your Mac and check if it works fine?

Link : https://play.geforcenow.com/

We greatly appreciate your understanding and patience in this matter.

Best Regards,
Inamdar
NVIDIA Customer Care

Customer (Simeon) via channel 'CSS Web' 03/29/2024 08:38 AM
Hello Sen,

Thank you for coming back to me.

I followed your steps:
-> I made sure the Nvidia privacy settings are both ticked to "on" for the provision of error logs in the "Technical Data" settings
-> I started the GeForce NOW app for Mac (v2.0.59.246/ro).
-> I created a feedback report via the "send feedback" button with the text: "GFN - Invisible Virtualized Mouse Cursor Issue in Game X4: Foundations, Incident # : 240320-000067" just now.

I hope the team can research the issue sources.
If it may help additionally, I described the hardware configuration in the initial issue description down below.

Thanks in advance, and I'm looking forward that the issue may can get fixed at some time.

Best Regards,
Simeon.

Staff Account (Sen) via channel 'Email' 03/28/2024 06:59 AM
Hello Simeon,

Thank you for updating us with the information requested.

You need to " Submit a Feedback " for this issue.
NOTE : This Feedback contains engineering data for debug & it is not a 2-way communication.

Below web-link gives the steps to submit feedback through the device :
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4681

To submit Feedback, you first need to enable the "Privacy log"

1. Firstly, please go to https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/privacy-center/
2. Select ‘Manage Privacy settings’
3. Enter your email address & click 'Submit' > select your account
4. Put a tick mark on 'Technical Data settings' and select 'Update'

5. Now please launch the application and click on ‘Send feedback’ at the top right corner
Make sure to mention " GFN - Invisible Virtualized Mouse Cursor Issue in Game X4: Foundations, Incident # : 240320-000067" and "Send"

Then our developers will get all the necessary hardware information from your Device to research on this.
Our developers will work on this and will try to release a fix in future updates.

Let me know once the feedback is sent.

Please do keep us updated.

Best regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care

Customer (Simeon) via channel 'CSS Web' 03/27/2024 03:29 PM
Hello Inamdar,

Thank you for coming back.
Here are my answers to your questions:

> The issue noticed in the specific map or it's same with all the maps?
>> The issue is noticed in the games main Map view, like in a strategy games map-view (see the video linked in one of my comments below)
>> The issue is as well noticed in the games main menu, but there one can easily navigate via the game pads buttons.
> Have you tested with the touchpad / mouse?
>> Yes, as written below the Macs touchpad works fine but I do not have a mouse to test that.
> Are you using any DLC / Steam workshop mods with this game?
>> Yes, I already tried to disable all DLC & Workshop subscriptions but the issue persisted
>> I just tested it again completely vanilla without DLC & after deleting & re-adding the game to the library - but the issue persists.
> Is there any VPN / Firewall is enabled?
>> Only iCloud private relay which I tried already in the past by disabling it.
>> I tested turning it off again now after deleting, restarting & re-adding the game to the app, but the issue still persist.
> Please remove the game from the Geforce now library and close the Geforce now app and re launch the game and test and check if that works fine.
>> Please see the two answers above, where I tried the suggestion whiteout success.

I do hope this helps you in further understanding the matter.
May it would help to test it with a similar setup to understand the issue better.

Best Regards,
Simeon

Staff Account (Inamdar) via channel 'Email' 03/27/2024 02:49 PM
Hello Simeon,

Thank you for your patience.

Your issue with the X4: Foundations game in Geforce NOW was referred to me for further review.

To analyze the issue further and to assist you, please help us with the below details :

> The issue noticed in the specific map or it's same with all the maps?
> Have you tested with the touchpad / mouse?
> Are you using any DLC / Steam workshop mods with this game?
> Is there any VPN / Firewall is enabled?
> Please remove the game from the Geforce now library and close the Geforce now app and re launch the game and test and check if that works fine.

Also try these steps and see if that helps :

>On a PC or Mac, open your web browser and navigate to the game’s steam workshop landing page: https://steamcommunity.com/app/392160/workshop

>Log into Steam if you are not already logged in.

>Click on the drop-down arrow next to the words "Your Files" and then select "Subscribed items".

>Select "Unsubscribe from All". This will remove all Steam Workshop mods.

>Lastly, select "OK" to complete the removal of the Steam Workshop mods.

>The game should now be able to launch on GeForce NOW.

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience. We greatly appreciate your understanding and patience in this matter.

Best Regards,
Inamdar
NVIDIA Customer Care

Customer (Simeon) via channel 'CSS Web' 03/27/2024 05:50 AM
Hello Syed,

Thanks for your help.
-> I did enabled technical data for both, the developer & business and for the gaming & entertainment category (both was already enabled).
- > I submitted just now a feedback directly from the GeForce NOW app on my Mac with the brief issue description and the mention of the case reference number: 240320-000067

I hope the time can find out what's the issue.
Please also let me know if I have to close this ticket or if I have to let it in open state till confirmation of a fix?
Or will you close the ticket when fixed?

Thanks again and if I can help any further, please let me know.

Kind Regards,
Simeon

Staff Account (Syed Yasar) via channel 'Email' 03/24/2024 03:15 PM
Hello,

Thank you for the update,

Please check the below information :

-> I did check the issue of the video

-> I do understand that you have already submitted a feedback request you to submit a feedback with following instructions with the case number :

I shall have the concerned team review the issue.

Meanwhile, please submit a feedback directly from the GeForce Now app on your PC with a brief issue description.
Steps to submit feedback: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4681
Do mention the case reference number in the description: 240320-000067

Note: Before submitting the feedback, please enable the Technical data in 'Privacy Preference' session by logging in to this link: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/account/pr ... eferences/ After 'Technical data is enabled' you can submit the feedback.

This feedback is critical for the team to investigate the issue.
Please do let us know once the feedback is submitted.

I look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care

Customer (Simeon) via channel 'CSS Web' 03/22/2024 12:54 PM
Hello Vikas,

please find with this link the recorded presentation of the issue (I used GFN for recording): https://youtu.be/2JypKrki_34
(And sorry, I meant to say "Vikas" not "Viskas. :/)

Please Note:
The mouse cursors ui-icon seems in general to not be recorded like the other ui elements, so the presentation is in the beginning maybe a bit confusing as on can not see the ui cursor icon at all. And as one can see, the cursor is also not recorded using the Mac books track pad.
So maybe there is a little bit more down the rabbit hole with this behavior.

I hope the recording helps understanding the issue & maybe one can reproduce it via testing.
Please let me know if I can help any further.

Best regards,
Simeon

Staff Account (Vikas Sharma) via channel 'Email' 03/21/2024 09:02 PM
Hello,

Thank you for the response.

Please record a short video capturing the issue you are facing and upload the video to Google Drive/One Drive/YouTube and help me with video link to better understand the issue.

Please let us know at your earliest convenience.

Best Regards,
Vikas Sharma
NVIDIA Customer Care

Customer (Simeon) via channel 'CSS Web' 03/21/2024 04:46 PM
Hello Vikas,

thank you for your fast and ordered response - and yes, you understood perfectly..
Here are the answers to your questions:

1. Have you tried adjusting controller settings or toggling between different controller mappings in Game X4: Foundations to see if the issue persists?
--> Yes, I tried different controller mappings via steam: The official controller mapping, a mapping that should make the controllers right thumb stick move the virtual mouse by simultaneously holding select - made by a steam community member, and I also tried mapping it completely to my own preferences. Everything works fine, except that issue in the ui's map tab/screen does persists.

2. Is the issue specific to Game X4: Foundations, or have you encountered similar problems in other games or applications on GeForce Now?
--> Yes so far. In comparison & just as some of the examples I played with GFN: Ubisoft titels (via steam and via Uplay api) do work in their menus as well with the right/left thump stick as a mouse - without problems.

3. Have you tested the game with a different controller or input device to determine if the issue is related to the Xbox One controller or the virtualized mouse cursor in general?
--> Yes, some month ago I used a Xbox 360. wireless controllerconnected via its wireless dongle via the USB hub to the Macs USB-Port, the issue has already been present. The Macs Trackpad input/cursor works as intended, is connected to the UIs mouse cursor and also the maps scroll function works with the track pads two finger gesture. As I do not have a USB/wireless mouse, I could not these, so i can only confirm the issue for the named official xbox controllers.

4. Are there any specific in-game settings related to mouse cursor visibility or UI interaction that could be adjusted to address the issue?
--> Yes, besides the binding of the mouse to the games window, one can remap the virtual mouse cursor to different controller stick/trigger axes as well as to buttons via steams controller mapping function. I have tried different variations of the possible settings without success.

Many thanks again for your help so far.
If I can help any further, please do not hesitate to ask.
The issue is not game breaking to me personally, but as the game needs exact Map interaction to use some of its main features adequately it would be great if the issue can be solved if there is time for.

Thanks again for your answer.

Best regards,
Simeon Pick

Staff Account (Vikas Sharma) via channel 'Email' 03/21/2024 02:28 AM
Hello,

Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care.

This is Vikas, assisting you in troubleshooting the issue you are experiencing.

From the detailed description, I understand that you are experiencing an issue with the invisible virtualized mouse cursor in Game X4: Foundations while using an Xbox One controller connected via USB hub to a Macbook's USB-C port. The virtualized mouse cursor is present and functional but not visible in the game's Map UI. Additionally, the invisible cursor is not bound to the game's UI mouse cursor, causing interaction difficulties.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused and please be assured that I will do my best to help you further.

If issue persists, then, to analyze the issue better and to determine the cause, I will need additional information:

1. Have you tried adjusting controller settings or toggling between different controller mappings in Game X4: Foundations to see if the issue persists?

2. Is the issue specific to Game X4: Foundations, or have you encountered similar problems in other games or applications on GeForce Now?

3. Have you tested the game with a different controller or input device to determine if the issue is related to the Xbox One controller or the virtualized mouse cursor in general?

4. Are there any specific in-game settings related to mouse cursor visibility or UI interaction that could be adjusted to address the issue?

Please take your time and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If there are any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me.

Best regards,
Vikas Sharma,
NVIDIA Customer Care

Rule Response 03/20/2024 04:02 AM
The following answers might help you immediately. (Answers open in a separate window.)
Answer Link: GeForce NOW Android App FAQ
Answer Link: I upgraded my macOS to 10.15 Catalina and I am getting a different mouse experience now with GeForce NOW. How can I fix it?
Answer Link: Does GeForce NOW allow me to play games with a keyboard and mouse on LG or Samsung TVs?
Answer Link: I am using an LG or Samsung TVs to play games on GeForce NOW. How do I input text to search for games in the GeForce NOW app?
Answer Link: Genshin Impact on GeForce NOW
Customer (Simeon Pick .) via channel 'CSS Web' 03/20/2024 04:02 AM
Virtualized mouse cursor (bound to gamepads thumb stick) not visible in games Map-ui.

Dear NVIDIA humans,

I already submitted feedback via GFN-application but here are some additional informations (character limit in the apps feedback form).

While playing the Game X4: Foundations, I use a Xbox one controller connected via a usb hub to the Mac books usb-c port.

While in the games Map tab/ui I can not see the virtualised mouse but it is there and I can move it to hover and interact with ui elements.
The issue is, this invisible mouse cursor is not bound to the games ui-mouse cursor.
This issue occurred already some time ago for another GFN-user (see link below that includes the link to that very report).

I already reached out to the developers of the game and got the answer here: viewtopic.php?f=180&t=460567&sid=9f0a8c ... 26a26c7415
The direct mouse input setting is turned on & the MacBooks trackpad mouse input works fine in the game and is perfectly bound to the games ui-cursor.

Therefore I would really appreciate if your tech team could test this issue and hopefully fix it.

If you need any additional information, please let me know.

Many thanks in advance & best regards
Simeon Pick

ADDITIONAL DETAILS:
240320-000067
Status Updated by customer
Created 03/20/2024 04:02 AM
Updated 04/14/2024 11:15 PM
Product GeForce NOW
Category Troubleshooting
File Attachments
-Thumbnail for attached image. File Type png Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 4.20.36 PM.png (457.35 KB)
-Thumbnail for attached image. File Type png Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 9.04.56 PM.png (89.58 KB)
Choose OS Apple Mac OS
Product Name X4: Foundations (Steam)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 16. Apr 24, 12:40

Oh boy. Really sorry to see that this is taking so long to resolve. I'm not sure if there's actually anything we can do to help move things forward, but please do continue to keep us updated on the status.

kirapick

Post by kirapick » Wed, 17. Apr 24, 00:42

Will do.

Knowing my periphery setup is anything but usual, I really would like to get this issue fixed, so time is just secondary.
ًWhile Nvidia is taking it seriously now, I can hope to be able to enjoy X4 & all future updates as intended - even with my setup.
And if a fix is not feasible, I should survive switching to the trackpad while using the map. ;)

Thank you for taking note.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”