Crashing When saving - Resolved by pathing user away from OneDrive.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

The1Whistler
x4

Crashing When saving - Resolved by pathing user away from OneDrive.

Post by The1Whistler » Sun, 18. Feb 24, 13:48

Hi, I could use some help with game crashing 50% of the time when I'm saving. Game is latest Steam update and unmodded. Every gamestart I have tried have this problem. I have tried removing all programs that are running beside the game (Rivatuner,Amd Adrenaline etc). Disabled Steam overlay. Gone through the official crash checklist without any progress. Have tried installing the game on 2 different ssd's. I have never had this problem on any other game except skyrim nolvus modlist, altough it was loading that crashed the game there and not saving, but that modpack has like 1000 mods in it, so that's not likely to be relevant. And the pc have no problem running this or any other game on 1440p.
PC specs: Intel core i7 13700kf
Amd 6900 xt
32gb ram
Windows 11
As I've said I've tried everything I could think of but no luck. Also googled this and found a few similar problems but no solutions as far as I could find.
Edit: Also tried verifying game files on Steam several times on both ssd's.
Edit 2: Tried Completely uninstalling Onedrive, and deleting save folder, but no luck still.
Edit 3: Could this be related to the save files being under Onedrive?

Link to vulkaninfo: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17ndvIp ... drive_link
Link to dxdiag: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16Ty3un ... drive_link
Last edited by The1Whistler on Sun, 18. Feb 24, 17:19, edited 3 times in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Crashing When saving

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 18. Feb 24, 15:17

Please always supply the system and driver information (eg link to DxDiag). Without it there is little that we and the devs can investigate.

What AV do you use and have you tried excluding the game installation and save folders from any real-time file checking? It isn't SentinelOne AV by any chance?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

The1Whistler
x4

Post by The1Whistler » Sun, 18. Feb 24, 15:24

I don't use AV. Windows Defender is all I need. Ok where do I find dxdiag and how do I link to it? I don't generally use forums or social media so how do I post links? Can I do this directly here on the forum or do I have to use another service for that?

The1Whistler
x4

Post by The1Whistler » Sun, 18. Feb 24, 15:35

Ok I found out how to get the dxdiag file but trying to retrieve the vulkan file i only get this error: The system cannot find the path specified.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 18. Feb 24, 15:48

Is that using this? Yes, please upload to a respectable fileshare site (suggestions for free non-registration sites are in my link further above) and post an open public sharing link here. Don't worry if the files will expire after a period but please don't use single download links.

The1Whistler
x4

Post by The1Whistler » Sun, 18. Feb 24, 15:50

Yes. But when I place something on my desktop this is the path to it? Should I fill in this info? C:\Users\olejn\OneDrive\Skrivebord
Edit: Even the desktop is connected to onedrive even though i supposedly uninstalled it. Could that be the problem

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 18. Feb 24, 16:00

I have no idea how or even why somebody would move their desktop from Windows to OneDrive. I just did exactly what it said to do in that Wiki and it worked. Sorry!

You could try entering that other path to see if that finds your moved desktop, or just try running VulkanInfo directly as suggested in the Wiki. Good luck.

The1Whistler
x4

Post by The1Whistler » Sun, 18. Feb 24, 16:05

I never moved it there. This is how Windows 11 came out of the box for me. I've tried undoing it since I got the pc, because it has created a lot of problems for modding games. Never had this problem on W10. Just another reason to hate W11 I guess..

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 18. Feb 24, 16:09

You can still run vulkaninfo directly in the Cmd Prompt and copy the resulting text into a wordpad file or similar, and then go with that.

Anyway, a link to your DxDiag will initially be of more use than VulkanInfo.

The1Whistler
x4

Post by The1Whistler » Sun, 18. Feb 24, 16:11

Omg...I didn't think of that. Feel kinda stupid now.. Will do. Thank you. do I just use google drive or something to link to the files?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 18. Feb 24, 16:40

From your DxDiag:

Your AMD graphics driver and hence Vulkan is nearly a year outdated. Update from the AMD site.
You have a default generic Microsoft sound driver for your Realtek onboard sound chipset. Get a Realtek sound driver from the Realtek update site or from Windows Drivers.
You are getting rather low on free memory on your C:\ drive if that is where your swapfile is kept.
You are having multiple stackhash crashes in X4 and AppCrashes in MSIAfterburner all associated with ntdll.dll which indicates a probable driver or hardware distress issue.

See if anything in there helps. Good luck.

PS: Editing older posts is not notified to me as a new input and so I wouldn't normally see the new stuff.

The1Whistler
x4

Post by The1Whistler » Sun, 18. Feb 24, 16:47

Yeah the old drivers is because i uninstalled amd adrenaline today which controls the amd drivers, because that software has created issues for many appearantly. Will go through what you said and try to solve it. Thank you.

sniper423
x4

Post by sniper423 » Sun, 18. Feb 24, 23:09

@Alan Phipps: Not going to lie, but this feels *very much* like the 1113s I've been getting which led to my post about a possible memory leak here: viewtopic.php?f=180&t=460188&sid=41a157 ... 6938cf21ef

Not all of my own *saves* have resulted in an "unable to allocate memory" PANIC crash, as some have occurred in the middle of gameplay, but it has often been aligned with auto or quick saves.

@The1Whistler: Would you be willing to run the Windows PerfMon stuff I provided in the above thread? I'd be curious to see what the results are WRT your system's memory and page file consumption. Also, what are your page file settings?

The1Whistler
x4

Post by The1Whistler » Sun, 18. Feb 24, 23:33

My pagefile settings are 4096 on the c: windows partition and 40000 on the other 2 partitions where games and etc are installed. I can see about running the program tomorrow if I can make heads or tails of it :gruebel: Too tired now..

The1Whistler
x4

Post by The1Whistler » Mon, 19. Feb 24, 19:12

After many hours of Trying to solve this it seems I have finally solved it. It was onedrive that caused this. I had uninstalled onedrive but that was apparently not good enough. All the pictures, desktop and documents folders was still under the supposedly uninstalled onedrive. Finally found out how to get rid of it properly. I had to edit the registry and change every path from "users/username/onedrive/documents" to "users/username/documents". That fixed it completely for me. I have now tested several hours of playing and saving often, and only once did it crash when saving. I've actually played the game now instead of replaying sections over and over because of crashing. :D Consider this solved Egosoft/Moderators.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Crashing When saving - Resolved by pathing user away from OneDrive.

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 19. Feb 24, 22:32

Thanks for the update and good to hear you can play again. Enjoy the game.

Perhaps the only remaining loose end for you is how your personal stuff (desktop and documents, etc) got onto OneDrive in the first place. That is not a Windows installation default outcome.

The1Whistler
x4

Post by The1Whistler » Tue, 20. Feb 24, 08:27

If you google the onedrive stuff with windows 11 you get a lot of identical hits. This is not just me apparently. From what I can see it seems to be common with Windows 11. And I've done my fair share with OS installations ranging from Windows to Linux to Mac, so I wouldn't call myself a newbie with OS installations. I really didn't do anything different than I've always done. Anyways, maybe this thread can be of use to someone else that comes along with similar problems. :)

sniper423
x4

Post by sniper423 » Tue, 20. Feb 24, 22:50

@The1Whistler: Timing is everything. I had been hypothesizing last night (in the wee hours of the morning, when I was laying in bed, utterly failing at sleeping) that accrual of OneDrive revisions of save files might actually explain (at least a large part of, if not the whole thing) the monotonic increase in page file utilization related to X4 gameplay.

@Alan Phipps: Actually, new Windows installs default to OneDrive enabled assuming you already have an Office 365 subscription (the only use case I can speak to 1st hand); IIRC (I built my new rig 5 mos ago at this point), you can bypass as part of setup, but OneDrive integration is almost as native as IE used to be when MS got in trouble for it in 2001. I think the only reason they're not getting whacked now is because you *can* opt out easily during setup. In any event, I'll stay far away from the potential religious war over cloud storage of personal documents and simply say that there are good arguments to be made for both sides, and - if it really OneDrive - then it's a use case that likely has a non-trivial number of players who may be impacted/living with/ignoring crashes.

I'm going to try experimenting with this in my own thread now...I'll post there with whatever observations I encounter.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 21. Feb 24, 14:56

@ sniper423: Thanks, that clarifies things a lot. I still use an old MS Office version which is fine for all I need and so I don't keep paying for 365 just to do the same thing. I can still use the same apps such as OneDrive/OneNote etc if I want and nothing of mine is moved unwantedly if I do.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”