Controller centering issue, on Linux with Steam

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Quaxo76

Controller centering issue, on Linux with Steam

Post by Quaxo76 » Thu, 25. May 23, 14:26

Hello,
I have vanilla X4 installed on my Linux system via Steam. It works well, with good fps, but I have a weird issue with the controller.
The controller is a pretty standard, but good quality, xbox-style controller.
It mostly works fine, but has a problem with centering back to zero. If I roll the ship, or strafe, or use the analog controls for thrust, and then release the control, most of the times it correctly centers to zero. But sometimes (maybe 1 in 10) it fails to cener back to zero. It keeps giving a pretty large command, until I "tap" the control again. This happens both when flying or walking around.
I tried fiddling with the "dead zone" setting; if I set it really large, the issue disappears, but then the flying experience gets much worse.
What is weird is that no other game shows this behavior, and even in the calibration screens (from the OS or on other games), the stick controls *always* center perfectly to zero, when released.
It sort of feels like sometimes, X4 stops "polling" the controller, so it keeps the last read value even if the stick has actually been centered.
Has anyone seen this issue? I've tried searching the forum, but the other controller issues I've found are quite different...

Thank you in advance,
Cristian

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Controller centering issue, on Linux with Steam

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 25. May 23, 15:21

If the issue only happens 10% of the times when it *could* happen, then it really sounds more like a connectivity issue or temporary glitch with the controller. It could just be dirt or wear on the near-centre fine tuning of the sticks, etc. It may even be just 'tired' mechanical return springs, etc. Those would also explain why large deadzones might avoid them, and a further 'tap' correct them.

If it is wired, maybe try cleaning and reinserting connectors and using any stick/throttle cleaning tips that came with its instructions. If wireless then maybe try a check of the battery as well as cleaning it up.

While a game control issue is a possibility, that would surely see far more reports of such issues here and they would be far more likely to be seen happening more consistently.

Oh, one more thought, check that a background application is not temporarily taking away game or control input focus while playing. Also sometimes different controllers plugged in at the same time can clash and override each other.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Quaxo76

Post by Quaxo76 » Thu, 25. May 23, 16:38

Hi Alan, thank you for your reply.
Alan Phipps wrote:
Thu, 25. May 23, 15:21
If the issue only happens 10% of the times when it *could* happen, then it really sounds more like a connectivity issue or temporary glitch with the controller. It could just be dirt or wear on the near-centre fine tuning of the sticks, etc. It may even be just 'tired' mechanical return springs, etc. Those would also explain why large deadzones might avoid them, and a further 'tap' correct them.
I know, that's exactly what it looks like, but it happens with 3 different controllers, exact same symptoms... and none of these controllers show the issue with other games.
If it is wired, maybe try cleaning and reinserting connectors and using any stick/throttle cleaning tips that came with its instructions. If wireless then maybe try a check of the battery as well as cleaning it up.
Two controllers that I tried are wired, one is wireless with good batteries.
While a game control issue is a possibility, that would surely see far more reports of such issues here and they would be far more likely to be seen happening more consistently.
I agree, that's why I was surprised that I couldn't find other reports. I don't even think I have a particularly exotic system.
Oh, one more thought, check that a background application is not temporarily taking away game or control input focus while playing. Also sometimes different controllers plugged in at the same time can clash and override each other.
That's a very good idea, but there are none I can think of, unless Steam itself is acting up. But then, wouldn't this also happen with other Steam games?
And, the first time I saw the issue I did have another joystick connected, but it has been disconnected since.

A detail I forgot to add: sometimes the control sticks "inversely" to the direction of the intended movement. I mean: if I move the stick to the right, and let it go, most of the times that the issue presents itself, I get a "leftover" movement to the right; but once in a while, the unrequested movement is to the left. And vice versa.

Cristian

Mookau
x4

Post by Mookau » Thu, 25. May 23, 21:39

Quaxo76 wrote:
Thu, 25. May 23, 16:38
I know, that's exactly what it looks like, but it happens with 3 different controllers, exact same symptoms... and none of these controllers show the issue with other games.
Are all 3 controllers xbox controllers? Or different types?
I've been testing with my xbox elite controller on the non-steam linux version, and I'm unable to replicate the issue.
Though I am using the "xone" drivers for it, rather than relying on steam, so I may have inadvertently avoided it.

You could try disabling steam controller input for X4 and see how you go.
(That can be done for X4 exclusively by right clicking the game in your library, selecting properties, and under the controller tab setting the override for X4 to disable steam input.)
Quaxo76 wrote:
Thu, 25. May 23, 16:38

A detail I forgot to add: sometimes the control sticks "inversely" to the direction of the intended movement. I mean: if I move the stick to the right, and let it go, most of the times that the issue presents itself, I get a "leftover" movement to the right; but once in a while, the unrequested movement is to the left. And vice versa.
In this scenario I'm assuming you let go of it completely, and it 'snaps' back, overshooting the deadzone. So I assume it's the same issue and not a new one. It would certainly match your "no longer polling" description.

Quaxo76

Post by Quaxo76 » Sat, 27. May 23, 15:45

Mookau wrote:
Thu, 25. May 23, 21:39
Are all 3 controllers xbox controllers? Or different types?
I've been testing with my xbox elite controller on the non-steam linux version, and I'm unable to replicate the issue.
Though I am using the "xone" drivers for it, rather than relying on steam, so I may have inadvertently avoided it.
You could try disabling steam controller input for X4 and see how you go.
Two of them are Xbox clones, one is better than the other. One wireless and the other wired. The third is a joystick.
I tried disabling steam controller input, but I still get the same issue.
In this scenario I'm assuming you let go of it completely, and it 'snaps' back, overshooting the deadzone. So I assume it's the same issue and not a new one. It would certainly match your "no longer polling" description.
Well, that's when it mostly happens, yes. Anyway, I get the "stuck command" even when releasing the stick smoothly, not only when snapping it.
This doesn't happen often enough to make the game unplayable, but often enough to be really annoying, especially during fights. But since apparently there aren't other people reporting it, I guess I'm stuck with it...

Thanks again,
Cristian

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”