AI pilot armed with nothing but torpedo launcher acts strange

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

akira1784

AI pilot armed with nothing but torpedo launcher acts strange

Post by akira1784 » Fri, 19. May 23, 14:48

if a AI pilot is driving a ship armed with nothing but torpedo launcher,he will fires only ONE torpedo at a time ,or just slowly flying himself into enemy and do nothing. :?
after some playing i found out if you build a ship like this it will set the torped launcher will be divided into four secondary weapon groups. so , if you set all those torpedo into first primary weapon group,the ai pilot will fire all four torpedo and fight well :shock:
i dont know if this is a bug,the problem is seting dozens of bomber's weapon group manualy every time when new bomber are produced are not pleasant things to do,is there anyting i can do about this?
ps. some ship like Chimera with 5 launcher have no such issue(because there is only 4 secandary weapon group,AI will put all launcher together),it will always fires 5 torpedo at once.(but will flying around and do nothing sometimes ,maybe because putting all weapon in secandary weapon group will make the pilot thinks he has no weapon at all)

===edited===
version: 6.00 Chinese
modified:false
Last edited by akira1784 on Fri, 19. May 23, 16:58, edited 7 times in total.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: AI pilot armed with nothing but torpedo launcher acts strange

Post by CBJ » Fri, 19. May 23, 14:52

akira1784 wrote:
Fri, 19. May 23, 14:48
is there anyting i can do about this?
The first thing you need to do is read the sticky thread marked "Please read this before posting!" at the top of the forum, and provide the information listed there, including a link to an unmodified savegame.

akira1784

Post by akira1784 » Fri, 19. May 23, 17:23

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 19. May 23, 14:52
akira1784 wrote:
The first thing you need to do is read the sticky thread marked "Please read this before posting!" at the top of the forum, and provide the information listed there, including a link to an unmodified savegame.
:( i did more test and new ship that I construct seems to be fine with all launcher setted in the first secondary weapon groups automatically,now I'm not so sure about what lead to the chaotic weapon group in my other ship
but one thing is for sure,AI pliot behave much better when all launcher is in primary weapon group than when launcher is in secondary weapon group.AI pliot will launch rock or torpedo much decisive when flying towards the target,turn back to start another attack much quicker,and will alaways fire all weapon at once.The difference were especially obvious when loaded with heavy rocket
I asked many of my friends to do the same test and they all got the same result,I'm pretty sure this is not a Isolated situations,do I still need to upload my game save in this case? and how?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 19. May 23, 17:54

akira1784 wrote:
Fri, 19. May 23, 17:23
I asked many of my friends to do the same test and they all got the same result,I'm pretty sure this is not a Isolated situations,do I still need to upload my game save in this case? and how?
People always think that what they are describing is easy to reproduce, and that frequently isn't the case. So yes, we still need your savegame. And if you had read the thread that I asked you to read, you would see that it explains there how to provide the required information, including your savegame.

akira1784

Post by akira1784 » Sat, 20. May 23, 12:35

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 19. May 23, 14:52
akira1784 wrote:
game save(one drive):https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgLoREJryUypiT2l0sx ... Y?e=PAvLnh
test video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoZ1KSSsBaw
can see pretty clearly in this video that when launchers are in primary weapon group AI pliot will try to find his angle and fire in a longer distant (8-10km),rather than fire at around 2-4km while flying around like idiot

topgoogleresultguy
x4

Post by topgoogleresultguy » Wed, 24. May 23, 01:41

YOUR IN FOR IT!!!!

Some of this is normal since the max range of the launchers are 10km. So the pilot gets farther than 10km before firing. The pilot also has to spend extra time flying after shooting because there is a looooong cooldown after firing torpedo launchers.
The problem you are describing are failed strafe runs... low skill pilots tend to do this alot with high range weapons with big cooldown which is what you are seeing happen in the video. Its also really bad with TER meson... This is why i use M ships for torpedos and just leave blast motar or plasma on the smaller ships.

user1679

Post by user1679 » Wed, 24. May 23, 02:56

topgoogleresultguy wrote:
Wed, 24. May 23, 01:41
YOUR IN FOR IT!!!!

Some of this is normal since the max range of the launchers are 10km. So the pilot gets farther than 10km before firing. The pilot also has to spend extra time flying after shooting because there is a looooong cooldown after firing torpedo launchers.
The problem you are describing are failed strafe runs... low skill pilots tend to do this alot with high range weapons with big cooldown which is what you are seeing happen in the video. Its also really bad with TER meson... This is why i use M ships for torpedos and just leave blast motar or plasma on the smaller ships.
Wouldn't an easy fix be to simply give torpedos and missiles a proper range? Seems like they should be at least 20km or more, only being 12km or 10km makes them seem like regular weapons with long cooldowns. The idea of a missile boat is for it to stay out of the fray and pepper the battlefield with ordinance while the S fighters get in below 10k to do the strafing (IMO). I always figured a missile platform would have several launch tubes and a few turrets to fend off the incoming fighters, not actually drag it's slow hull right into the middle of combat.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”