Game not starting - Resolved by system reset.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gigaplex
x4

Game not starting - Resolved by system reset.

Post by Gigaplex » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 09:15

Hello,

I have the problem, that the game suddenly stopped starting from one day to another. The .exe is running and i can see it in Process Explorer and Steam says it is running too, but the game doesn't start (not even an icon in the Taskbar). There are no error-messages, crashes or something like this, just nothing.
I tried updating drivers, installing the beta build, deinstalling beta build, re-installing the game completely and i'm at the end of ideas how to fix this (only further option i could come up with would be formating and reinstalling windows, but i would like to avoid that).

Maybe one of the intelligent people here can help me with my problem?

Thanks in advance!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Game not starting

Post by CBJ » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 09:54

We might be able to help you if you gave us some information to work with. Start with the information requested in the very first sticky thread at the top of the forum, specifically your DXDiag, vulkaninfo, which version you are running (particularly whether it's the 6.00 Public Beta or not) and whether or not you have any third party mods installed.

Gigaplex
x4

Post by Gigaplex » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 11:23

Thanks, no problem.

Here are the files:

DxDag: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WyCVWx ... share_link

Vulkaninfo: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L3t39f ... share_link

I use the current Steam Version.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 12:04

Thanks for those.

Your Realtek sound drivers are considerably out of date, and should be updated from the Realtek site (not via Windows Update) but your graphics drivers look OK.

You still didn't say whether you are using any mods.

Gigaplex
x4

Post by Gigaplex » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 12:24

ah sorry, no I'm not using any mods.

I will update the realtek drivers right away

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 12:38

Some other things to try:

- Perform a file verification in the Steam client. Even after reinstalling, you can still end up with problems. Restart the Steam client after doing so.
- Exclude the game folder from your AV software's live scanning.
- Try running in Borderless Windowed mode, and check that there isn't a dialog hiding behind your game window, waiting for you to confirm something.

Gigaplex
x4

Post by Gigaplex » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 12:59

I tried all three suggestions, but sadly nothing worked.
Game is still not starting, but showing up in Process Explorer

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 13:10

Almost all of your Windows Error Reports are crashes with cefprocess.exe. A bit of research turned up (in the case of another game) that: "CEFProcess.exe is new for EUIV 1.27 and runs the browser we use to show the legal documents added for GDPR compliance within the pop-up of the launcher."

I don't know if X4 has the same requirements for declaring legal compliances and whether that may be the reason for it not starting if the relevant app on your system is not working.

Another thing to try is to disable any sound devices and their drivers that you don't use (such as the Nvidia sound maybe?). Go to Control Panel, Device Manager, Sound/Audio Devices and right-click on a device in the listing for a disable/enable pop-up.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 13:13

Another thing to try would be deleting (or moving, or renaming) the config.xml in the folder above where your savegames are. There's a small chance that that file might contain a setting that is causing problems, and doing so would force it to use the built-in defaults.

Gigaplex
x4

Post by Gigaplex » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 13:35

unfortunately this didn't work either.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 13:45

When you start the game and can see that it's running in Task Manager, what process is actually taking up your CPU time?

Also how long did you wait? I can think of one scenario where the game might wait at least 30 seconds, trying to access your graphics card if it's not responding, before giving an error message and quitting if it still can't. The underlying problem there would be a graphics driver or hardware issue, but it wouldn't show up immediately.

Gigaplex
x4

Post by Gigaplex » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 13:52

nothing is really using up cpu time (just some processes like chrome with <1%)

I think i waited yesterday around 1-2h (while eating lunch) to see if something happens, but nothing happened.
Steam was saying the application is still running and process explorer still showed the .exe with 0% CPU usage

Tried it today again after applying your suggested solutions and let it start for ~20min but still nothing happend

that is how it looks:
https://i.imgur.com/y4qIuId.png

Other games are working fine e.g. War Thunder, Battlefield, Football Manager, Dyson Sphere Program (tried some games to see if there is a problem with my system). Only X4 is not starting

Gigaplex
x4

Post by Gigaplex » Fri, 7. Apr 23, 18:40

Ok, I couldn't solve the problem so i chose the heavy hammer and resetted my system.

Now it's working again.

Nevertheless, thanks for the help!

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”