Low FPS (single digits) whilst CPU and GPU utilisation very low

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Lam8da
x3

Low FPS (single digits) whilst CPU and GPU utilisation very low

Post by Lam8da » Wed, 8. Mar 23, 16:07

Hello,

I realise that this is a very common issue and I have reviewed other posts on this and tried all of the suggested steps/actions that I could find, especially those from the stickied topics. However nothing has made much difference.

I have an issue where the game is running fine (around 70fps consistently) at the beginning of a new game, but by the time I have 12 stations running and a few hundred miners/traders total the game is dropping to around 30fps consistently with long periods of 3fps. This occurs in all sectors, makes no difference if they are heavily populated or not.

I have a Ryzen 5600X CPU with Radeon 7900XTX GPU, 2TB SSD and 32Gb of 3600Mhz RAM. This is currently running on a B450 motherboard, which I know is not ideal but should not cause this amount of performance loss.

Dropping the graphical settings makes a slight difference but not much. Disabling mods doesn't make much difference. The main issue I think is that the CPU is only running at 40% utilisation at absolute max, usually around 20%. The GPU is only running at 25% max, usually less than 10%. I'm not sure why the FPS would be in single digits when nothing in my system is being utilised, it makes no sense to me :(

If anybody could provide any tips, pointers or suggestions I would be really grateful! Many thanks

Version and language - English, version 5.10
Whether or not your game is modified using any third party scripts or mods - Modded: XR Shippack, RandomSupply, RandomTrade, RandomMine
Game start being played - Young Gun
Exact nature of the problem, where and when it occurs and what you were doing at the time - Single digit FPS for minutes at a time, worse in heavily populated areas but still occurs in lowest pop sectors. CPU is never above 40% utilised and GPU well below 20% utilisation
Any possibly relevant changes you have made to your game, system, or software before the issue occurred - None, no crash dumps available
Your system specifications in the form of a DxDiag report and vulkaninfo - Attached

DxDiag and Vulkan Info in googledrive link below:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Low FPS (single digits) whilst CPU and GPU utilisation very low

Post by CBJ » Wed, 8. Mar 23, 16:15

As you may have seen in other threads, any numbers you are seeing for CPU utilisation are probably misleading. The game uses a number of cores but it does not, and cannot, use all your CPU cores (again, the reasons for this have been explained in more detail in many threads already) and the numbers you see are usually based on the total number of cores, not the number of cores being used. Even looking at the utilisation for individual cores with some tools can be misleading, because your system can distribute shorter tasks between different cores, moving them around as they start and finish, making it look like any given core's utilisation over a longer time is lower than it is for the shorter times that it's one of the ones being used heavily. Since the game is normally CPU-bound anyway, it's perfectly normal that changing graphics settings won't affect your framerate much.

Of course the really low framerates you are seeing are not really what we'd expect to see either but, since your game is fairly heavily modified, there could me any number of different reasons for this. If you were to start a new game without mods those installed, and were still able to reproduce the problem, then we might be able to investigate further with the aid of a savegame. Note that disabling those mods with your existing savegame won't work here, because removing the mods doesn't remove the effects they have had on your savegame.

Lam8da
x3

Re: Low FPS (single digits) whilst CPU and GPU utilisation very low

Post by Lam8da » Wed, 8. Mar 23, 16:21

OK, thanks for the quick reply :).

I will try to reproduce without mods and confirm.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”