Literally Unplayable (joke): Misattributed Quote

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

alienkhan
x4

Literally Unplayable (joke): Misattributed Quote

Post by alienkhan » Thu, 23. Feb 23, 19:30

Hello! Guten Tag, dear developers!

I found a quote that struck a chord with me today in a loading screen. It reads, "Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.", and is attributed to Jules de Gaultier. This got me curious as to who he was and where he wrote it. Previously one of the quotes led me to discover Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds rock opera, whose songs are constantly stuck in my head, so you can understand my excitement.

The first results on google attributed it to Lewis Carrol, but without a citation. Those who did in fact cite Jules de Gaultier did not offer a citation either. I did however, find a website with citations, which was specifically inquiring as to the origins of the quote. According to the site, linked here, the quote (formulated differently) probably comes from essayist Benjamin de Casseres (who did once write a commentary on de Gaultier's works, but the related quote is from a different source).

I demand this error be rectified at once. How can you devs work on the beta and a new dlc, when such parts of the core gameplay are fundamentally broken.

In all seriousness, I just wanted to bring this to your attention. De Gaultier and de Casseres both seem to have interesting works, so thank you for acquainting me with them.
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Thu, 23. Feb 23, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added info to title
I'm the best damn interloper this side of the galaxy!

Bug Report Info: DxDiag VulkanInfo

Dj_FRedy
x4

Re: Literally Unplayable (joke): Misattributed Quote

Post by Dj_FRedy » Fri, 24. Feb 23, 00:10

I think the quote refers to the author: "Pierre Jules Théophile Gautier (Jules de Gautier) 1811-1872" not "Jules Achille de Gaultier de Laguionie (Jules de Gaultier) 1858–1942"
There are some references where the quote in question is attributed to 'Pierre Jules Théophile Gautier', but the internet is full of people to whom this very quote is attributed.
"All my contributions to the Technical Support and Public Beta Feedback sections will be concise and to the point, no diatribes, that's what the other sections are for".
Thank you for your efforts.

alienkhan
x4

Re: Literally Unplayable (joke): Misattributed Quote

Post by alienkhan » Sat, 25. Feb 23, 03:28

Right you are! Google autocorrects the name for some reason. I think my heart was set on the identity when I read the report, too, as they don't mention "Egosoft's" Gautier. But alas, I can't fine a direct quote from de Gautier either.
I'm the best damn interloper this side of the galaxy!

Bug Report Info: DxDiag VulkanInfo

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”