Game lags heavily, even in main menu - Resolved, SteelSeries Moment issue.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

TheNickname

Game lags heavily, even in main menu - Resolved, SteelSeries Moment issue.

Post by TheNickname » Thu, 23. Feb 23, 14:04

Hello, everyone. Bought the game a few days ago and decided to start it up today. But, oh harsh reality, i lags veeeeery hard. In main menu fps is about 10-12 for a few minutes, then goes to a solid 80 (until i open another submenu or try to start a game, back to 10 then). In game freezes every 1-2 minutes for up to 10 minutes of pure static of 5fps. The only way is runs somehow decent is with FSR Perfomance and lowest graphic settings, and even then lags as soon as i leave station or enable Travel Mode. Weird thing is, my specs should be more than enoguh to run the game without FSR at atleast Medium setting.
One peculiar thing is that when the game lags or freezes, only image stops, sound plays as normal. I was looking around in the starting room and tutor's voice changed directions while image was just one static frame.
Anyone have any idea what might that be?

-Version: 5.10 (479084) English
-No mods
-First tutorial(Flight School)
-No changes to game files, fresh start
-No crashes, just extremely poor perfomance

DxDiag: Vulkaninfo:
Last edited by TheNickname on Thu, 23. Feb 23, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Game lags heavily, even in main menu.

Post by CBJ » Thu, 23. Feb 23, 14:15

Please provide your full DXDIag, not just the first few lines, and also your vulkaninfo, as requested in the very first thread in this forum. Without this, we're just guessing. We can't even see what kind of GPU(s) you have from what you've given us so far.

TheNickname

Post by TheNickname » Thu, 23. Feb 23, 14:59

CBJ wrote:
Thu, 23. Feb 23, 14:15
Please provide your full DXDIag, not just the first few lines, and also your vulkaninfo, as requested in the very first thread in this forum. Without this, we're just guessing. We can't even see what kind of GPU(s) you have from what you've given us so far.

Fixed it, added DropBox links to those. Sorry, never actually used this kind of forums before, so got confused with how to do a post properly

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 23. Feb 23, 15:13

It looks like you have a VR device active; please try unplugging that. I'm hoping that will remove the "virtual desktop" display device, but if not then that should be disabled separately. You could also do with updating your Realtek sound drivers (from their site, not Windows Update) and disabling the various other sound devices that are connected. Note that all of these actions are about identifying what's causing the game to run slowly for you; you can, of course, re-enable anything that isn't actually causing a problem afterwards, once you've identified the source of the problem. :)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 23. Feb 23, 15:25

Adding to what CBJ said, your DxDiag Windows Error Reporting shows frequent issues with your Logitech Gaming Hub and with Unity Hub (VR devices) if that helps to isolate the issue further.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

TheNickname

Post by TheNickname » Thu, 23. Feb 23, 16:18

CBJ wrote:
Thu, 23. Feb 23, 15:13
It looks like you have a VR device active; please try unplugging that. I'm hoping that will remove the "virtual desktop" display device, but if not then that should be disabled separately. You could also do with updating your Realtek sound drivers (from their site, not Windows Update) and disabling the various other sound devices that are connected. Note that all of these actions are about identifying what's causing the game to run slowly for you; you can, of course, re-enable anything that isn't actually causing a problem afterwards, once you've identified the source of the problem. :)
I've tried what you suggested. Closed all background Oculus processes, deleted VD (didn't need it anymore anyway), VR headset was unplugged. Updates sound driver, disabled all sound devices except headphones. Still same lags starting right off main menu screen. I also asked a friend to give me his GOG account with the game (i have it bought in Steam), and the GOG version runs smoothly on High setting without any AMD FSR. Could it be because of Steam-version specifics on the game?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 23. Feb 23, 17:54

Unless there's something seriously wrong with your Steam setup, performance should not be affected by whether you run the Steam or GOG version. Maybe validate your installation of the Steam version using the relevant option in the Steam client, and also check that your Steam installation and the game's folder within that is not being interfered with by your AV software (or indeed anything else!).

TheNickname

Post by TheNickname » Thu, 23. Feb 23, 17:56

Thanks for your help, i've figured it out. It was because of SteelSeries Moment (analog on NVIDIA Shadowplay clips). Disabled it for X4, and game runs smooth so far. Maybe game conflicts with screen-recording apps, or only with SteelSeries Moments, not sure.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 23. Feb 23, 18:30

Unfortunately that app doesn't appear on a DXDiag so I can't see anything about it. However, a quick search suggests that they only added Vulkan support in mid-2021, so if your version is older than that then it might explain why it didn't play nicely with X4, even if it does with other games.

Anyway, glad to hear that it's sorted, and that you can now play at a reasonable framerate. :)

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”