the game does not use the maximum available resources, help.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Fitovec

the game does not use the maximum available resources, help.

Post by Fitovec » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 19:08

Good afternoon. I'm forced to turn. I write through a translator. my configuration. Risen r5 2600. (overclocking 3950 MHz). 28 GB of memory 3000 MHz, SD M2 x4 3000 Gb per second. GTX 3060ti . CPU utilization is 80% , RAM is 11 GB . Video card 50-60%. the game has 20 hours of real time. the property has a full-cycle factory , 20 service transports. As a result, 27-30 FPS. Is this normal????? is it really such an inefficient optimization? or I'm not doing something atk, there are mods, but mostly for weapons and ships, the Jobs file is deleted everywhere. so as not to download the game. Why is the game not using the maximum available resources????

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: the game does not use the maximum available resources, help.

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 20:53

While X4 is multithreaded, the majority of the game loop runs on a single thread/core and other threads have to wait for that thread to be ready for their contributions. Once that loop thread is maxed out, the other 'under-utilised' threads cannot help to speed things up. That is why 80% cpu utilisation does not necessarily show spare game resource capacity but may well include a loop thread maxed out.

The game mainly uses 4 real cores to any great extent (certainly before 6.00 beta at least), but single core clock speed and stability under load is probably more important for X4 than having lots more threads available.

X4 is mainly cpu-limited and so the gpu may well be at less than maximum loading.

This all said, it might be worth checking that any cpu turbo is enabled and that cpu throttling is not being applied. Also, unintuitively, it may be worth checking that the current core overclocking level is not too severe and that core stability issues are not imposing delays.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: the game does not use the maximum available resources, help.

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 22. Jan 23, 12:31

Verify that your overclock is actually faster. There can be strange stability bugs where you can achieve a higher frequency but in reality the CPU runs at a lower frequency or out right just performs worse.

Depending on your motherboard you might have options to upgrade to a Zen2 or Zen3 processor which would be a substantial performance improvements. As these are older parts they might be available at good prices.

You can also try out the 6.00 beta. That might improve performance, especially if the simulation bottleneck was due to physics.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”