Galaxy Map commands do not work (working) on my ships - Resolved by system clean up and update.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Hit_Possum
x4

Galaxy Map commands do not work (working) on my ships - Resolved by system clean up and update.

Post by Hit_Possum » Sun, 13. Nov 22, 04:57

Playing the game with constant crashing as usual and suddenly the Galaxy map commands i give to my ships have stopped working.
My ships simply do not process orders like FLEET CREATION, GO TO, DOCK AND WAIT, PROTECT SHIP ETC. They just sit there on the map while NPCs get on with operations around them.
Fixes I have tried:
Create new save file
Reset all settings to default
reset Global orders
Remove addons (extensions)
re-DOWNLOAD ENTIRE GAME - FYI map worked in NEW Games save but NOT when I activated my 380+hour game file.
Have I inadvertently clicked on some button somewhere or something??
Any help is massively appreciated. I really do not want to have to start over.
:evil:
X4 Game Version 5.00
Dixidiag, Vulcaninfo, gamesave, extension info etc contained here.
Last edited by Hit_Possum on Wed, 16. Nov 22, 01:44, edited 2 times in total.
The Hit Possum

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Galaxy Map commands do not work (working) on my ships

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 13. Nov 22, 10:16

Any help or advice given may not be appropriate without knowing anything about your game and system. Have a good read of this 'Please read this before posting' Sticky thread at the top of this forum. It also tells you how to upload and link data such as your DxDiag, VulkanInfo and a save.

The 'constant crashing as usual' is clear indication that something is seriously wrong in your game install, save and/or system since the vast majority of other players are not getting those crashes. It could also all be the result of inappropriate 3rd party mods or save edits, if you have any. My first impression from your post is that you may have a corrupted save, possibly as a result of one of those previous game crashes or other issues.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Hit_Possum
x4

Post by Hit_Possum » Sun, 13. Nov 22, 14:05

Thank you Allan.
I have now updated my post with the requisite details.
I hope you can help.
The Hit Possum

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 13. Nov 22, 16:03

Thanks. The modded game and save will not help with investigation unfortunately.

Unfortunately, I also can't see any relevant Windows error reporting for your game crashes as your DxDiag Windows Error Reporting is filled with LogiOptionsMgr.exe AppCrashes that would probably be to do with your Logitech input devices and their drivers/set-ups. I cannot see that problem directly affecting this map issue though but clearing up the error reporting of it may let us see what else is going wrong.

Hit_Possum
x4

Post by Hit_Possum » Mon, 14. Nov 22, 01:52

Thank you Alan.
I shall reload the game as a clean version and log the issues properly now that I know what to do.
I have essentially narrowed the issue down to my internet bandwidth/connection speed issues and the graphics resolution.
Essentially I have to save every 2 minutes or so to mitigate the crash impacts. Slow connection speeds mean the game is unable to sync and it crashes.
The only time I have any sort of stable game play is with graphics set to medium or lower and Steam opened in OFFLINE mode and no actual internet connection active.
I shall collect a new set of crash reports over the next 24hours and post them here.
The Hit Possum

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 14. Nov 22, 09:55

The normal X4 game shouldn't synch while you are actually playing and you don't have to be online except when first starting up in Steam for example. GOG or the No-Steam exe have no online requirements. Are you playing using a remote server, such as with Steam RemotePlay, etc?

If you are having internet/synch issues with a normal X4 game (and especially when not saving or loading) then that is more likely an issue with the Steam Client, or perhaps you have another application (or malware) running in the background that is reporting home on the internet for updates, monitoring or input checks, and that is destroying the game's focus.

Another faint possibility is that your AV/protection software is doing real-time checks of game files loading from the drive and is timing out or corrupting the loaded files. Excluding the X4 game files and folders from such checking might help.

Hit_Possum
x4

Post by Hit_Possum » Tue, 15. Nov 22, 03:28

Ok, Alan, here's the fixes (and combinations) I have tried in the last 24 hours:
Reload the game clean (again).
Create NEW GAME files with no extensions or addons.
Tried several video resolution and game save options (zipped/unzipped - hi/med/lo res).
VPN on/off
Internet connection on/off
Anti virus software completely disabled (as instructed by Anti-V help desk).
Link to: Game files including multiple saves, vulcaninfo, Dixidiag, Dump Files, etc
Other details:
Program X4 Foundations 5.10
Langauge Neutral (English)
Online Features: Reporting set to "ON" for ALL ".dmp" files

The game continues to run for 2-3 minutes and then either crashes the game or my entire system. In 4 hours of actual use I have only managed to 'save' 30 minutes of gameplay.
If this IS an issue between Egosoft and Steam, I do not have the expertise or access to the necessary files to fix it.
You claim that only 14% of your customers have this issue however I have over 35 years working with IT and building, maintaining and troubleshooting networks of all sorts of sizes and applications both on Mac and PC. For me, trying to solve this issue looked like a nightmare from the first time I read what you require to even look into the problem.
Given my experience level and the fact that conservatively one in a hundred (or even a thousand) has my expertise, I put it to you that most people take one look at what is required and give up.
I like the game and I want to be able to play it but it needs to be stable.
I look forward to your assistance.
Thank you
HP
The Hit Possum

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 15. Nov 22, 09:53

If your system as well as the game is crashing then that is not down to the game program as the OS will just not let it do so but is something at a deeper level such as a driver or hardware issue. This game can load and tax your system in ways that other games and apps may not and so expose hidden weaknesses. You would probably know all that given your experience.

I would love to know where I claimed that 14% of my customers have this issue (and I don't believe it to be other than a rare/isolated issue); I am not even an Egosoft employee but just a volunteer forum moderator. :D

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Tue, 15. Nov 22, 21:14

Hit_Possum wrote:
Tue, 15. Nov 22, 03:28
The game continues to run for 2-3 minutes and then either crashes the game or my entire system. In 4 hours of actual use I have only managed to 'save' 30 minutes of gameplay.
System crashes points towards some sort of hardware fault. Could be anything from unstable overclock to failing hardware.

If you have XMP enabled on your memory, try turning it off so that memory runs at slower, more stable, speeds. If this fixes the crashes then the XMP profile on your memory is not perfectly stable with your CPU/motherboard/memory configuration and might need manual timing adjustments. X4 hits memory and CPU quite hard so is more likely to expose unstable memory overclocks/XMP than many other games.

When trying to troubleshoot system instability issues a good place to start is to revert everything to stock configuration (no overclocks) as that is mostly likely to be stable. If things become stable, then work on re-enabling the overclocks and tuning any that cause the instability to reappear.
Hit_Possum wrote:
Tue, 15. Nov 22, 03:28
You claim that only 14% of your customers have this issue
As far as I am aware less than 1% of players have similar issues given by how infrequently it is encountered in technical support forum and on discord. Most of them turn out to be faulty hardware, buggy drivers or unstable overclocks.

X4 has a very different load profile than most games, hitting CPU single thread performance and memory quite hard. I would class it as one of the games that is more likely to expose CPU/memory related issues than most games.

Hit_Possum
x4

Post by Hit_Possum » Wed, 16. Nov 22, 01:52

Thank you for your reply, Alan.
I have now completed a BIOS up system rebuild with all updates installed for every program and device I have.
This appears to have fixed the crash issue for now
. I managed to run the game for 30 minutes without issues.
Additionally I have ordered another 32GB of system RAM just to be absolutely certain about 'resolution' being an issue. (Currently have 16GB in system and 20GB on graphics card).
Hopefully this will be an end to the crash issue.
I tried to run the game with my old +380 hours Save but the inability to issue commands to my fleets is persisting.
I guess I will have to bin that puppy - shame.
I appreciate your help, Alan.
Hopefully this post will help others.
HP
The Hit Possum

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”