Lack of sound after start - Resolved after successful Windows Update.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

DanteOkami
x4

Lack of sound after start - Resolved after successful Windows Update.

Post by DanteOkami » Sat, 1. Oct 22, 05:36

after many hours of trying to find how to fix this issue all i've managed to do is figure out that my sound codec was to "powerful" for the game to actually use so now there is at least sound at the startup screen but after loading into the menu of the game silence is all that remains i've tried loading the flight school mission a couple of times to see if maybe it's just a menu bugging out and there is still a very distinct lack of sound from anything.

After a night of trying to figure out and fix the issue i've discovered that the files from the OpenAL SDK pack also fail to have sound when i try to play them... leading me to think it might be a issue with OpenAL but i have no idea how to fix it. Also the starting screen only plays sound if set to 48000 hz

Game version is 5.10 (479084), English, steam license, Windows 10.

DXdiag is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x9WGiz ... sp=sharing

Vulkaninfo is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NMfRRT ... sp=sharing
Last edited by DanteOkami on Sat, 1. Oct 22, 08:50, edited 1 time in total.

Incinerator
x4

Re: Lack of sound after start

Post by Incinerator » Sat, 1. Oct 22, 07:34

Looked over your windows mixer settings like speaker configuration?

DanteOkami
x4

Post by DanteOkami » Sat, 1. Oct 22, 08:56

yes i have i found one discussion where the issue was that system sounds were almost at 0 while everything else was cranking it out full blast so i tried making sure that all the volume mixers are within 2% of each other, Found another where having x4 at 100% was the issue so i tried turning it down to 90% still nothing, I have also tried doing a fresh install of OpenAL and even of the game after verification options failed, i've also tried turning off the "sonar" system built into my headset, tried running the game through the physical driver instead of the virtual one this headset has built into it as well, been at this for many hours now and i'm fresh out of ideas at this point

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 1. Oct 22, 16:59

Your Win Home x64 version is Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202) whereas mine is Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 19044) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406). Is your OS fully updated, and is there a reason if not?

Your Realtek sound driver, although WHQL and with a fairly new date, is version 6.00.9102.0001 Date and Size: 1/12/2021 12:00:00 AM, 6021608 bytes. Mine with likely a very similar onboard sound chipset is version 6.3.9600.2307 Date and Size: 10/11/2021 01:00:00, 473696 bytes. That's a significant difference in version number and especially in size. See if you can in fact update yours from either the Realtek update HD Audio Codec site, or from the Windows driver cache.

See if any updates help. Good luck.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

DanteOkami
x4

Post by DanteOkami » Mon, 3. Oct 22, 04:51

So it turned out to be a failed windows update that only half installed leading to a corrupting of the bios for my pc upon trying to install the newest set of bios it resulted in a hard drive fault of some sort in which the winlong.exe in system 32 was either corrupted or removed from the system.

After about 8 hours of frustration and confusion i was finally able to find the issue and (with more then a bit of luck) using the motherboards built in raid system was able to wipe the hard drive that was ultimately causing the issue and with the help of a windows recovery drive on a usb stick reinstall windows.

And After replacing the lost drivers and reinstalling steam the game now has sound. So with that in mind for others who may suffer the same issue please do yourself a favor and have a usb that has the recovery drive files that you can get here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... Windows_10 before even trying to update your pc's bios because its the only reason im able offer this reply/info

Thanks to those who helped out

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”