Travel mode on Erlking not working as expected - There was no flight assist software.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

CaptJimBob
x4

Travel mode on Erlking not working as expected - There was no flight assist software.

Post by CaptJimBob » Sat, 26. Mar 22, 01:46

I am considering this a bug, and have not found anything referencing this. I got myself the Erlking, and the flight model is not working like I think it should be using a Hotas (x-56) ....

First off, flight assist is not an option and trying to activate it has no effect (the flight assist disabled alert is not displayed). The ship seems to be only able to fly without flight assist. Now I thought maybe that is because of the "special power grid" but think it's not that for the following.

Next (and why I believe this is a bug), throttle at 0 (or any position actually) toggle travel mode (engage) and the ship's speedometer does not change. You hear the travel drive charging up, the sound of the travel drive working and the ship just sits there (or remains at the same speed you had your throttle at). Toggle the travel mode again (disengage) and the ship remains at the original speed and the Alert: Flight Assist Disabled displays. Move the throttle and the alert disappears.

:twisted: Gremlins at work

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Travel mode on Erlking not working as expected

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 26. Mar 22, 06:03

Sounds very much like something is stuck to the ship. In the past this used to be boarding pods and the like, but can also be small ships or drones.

Try ordering a captain to fly it around a bit in low attention before trying to fly it yourself in high attention again. My Erlking does not suffer such problems, although I do not use a Hotas and just use standard mouse and keyboard.

CaptJimBob
x4

Post by CaptJimBob » Sat, 26. Mar 22, 14:57

There is nothing on the ship that I can see when looking at it in the map - no drones or small ships. I did give it a number of jobs including Defend Commander (where station controls the ship), Protect Position (where ship has control). Did some Fly and Wait commands as well and no change.

Last resort, in case there was something there that was invisible that I couldn't see (yes, I know I'm reaching), sent it for a tour in Avarice V and in Avarice I that should "wash" anything off it. However there was no change after the Riptides occurred. Also to note, all flights from an NPC captain or even Auto Pilot work as expected but player control does not.

Side note: Normally I see my ships get a "Flee" order before the Riptide occurs, the Erlking did not get one where my Rattlesnake did when in Avarice V. To test that a bit further, I decided to park the Erlking and an Asgard up in Avarice I where the Riptide seems stronger. Once the oncoming Riptide was announced, the Asgard had a "Flee (auto)" while the Erlking did not. Not sure if it means anything but thought I would mention it.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 26. Mar 22, 15:21

Are you using any third party mods?

You might want to try disconnecting your Hotas and just using the keyboard and mouse to fly the Erlking rule out any incompatibility specifically with that ship.

You might want to try changing the Erlking pilot just in case the one you are using is bugged (has happened in the past for some received from plots).

It is strange that both Erlking and Asgard try to flee the tide given that the tide is so weak compared with their XL shields (practically immune to it).

CaptJimBob
x4

Post by CaptJimBob » Sat, 26. Mar 22, 16:05

Hi,

The game is vanilla, with no mods.

With the Hotas attached and when disconnected give the same results...
Using a keyboard doesn't have the same thruster routine, and seems okay.
Pressing Shift-1 for the Travel Mode fails and ship at 0 stays at 0 etc.
Using the mouse scroll wheel for the thrust fails and behaves like the joystick throttle did. Scroll throttle up and speed increases, scroll throttle down and speed remains unchanged unless you scroll down to a negative thrust.

I have already changed the captain/pilot previously, and changed it again for this test and got the same results.

Just the Asgard got the Flee order, and think it's just the announcement that triggers it and sends it out to all the ships in Avarice to run away. Ships don't always flee and just stay put, but they seem to all get the order.

CaptJimBob
x4

Post by CaptJimBob » Sat, 26. Mar 22, 16:42

Well don't I feel like a fool.

I decided that I was going to strip the Erlking down and remove as much as I could and then send it to Avarice where it would be destroyed by the Riptide (or show it the real power of an Asgard). As I was going down the list on the repair/upgrade menu I noticed that the Flight Assist Software was not installed. Added the software and all is good.

Thanks for the help.

Kuxstall
x3

Post by Kuxstall » Tue, 4. Oct 22, 20:42

You have no idea how helpful this was. I had not thought to check the software as mine was a Erlking rebuild that I just set to high preset.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Travel mode on Erlking not working as expected - There was no flight assist software.

Post by Imperial Good » Wed, 5. Oct 22, 01:39

Thanks for reporting this solution. Many players with a lot of hours, like myself, automatically explicitly max out all software on all ships late game due to there being no additional cost when at player facilities. It is easy to overlook that ships might not have such software installed which could cause issues such as this.

x30n
x4

Post by x30n » Wed, 1. Feb 23, 11:36

CaptJimBob wrote:
Sat, 26. Mar 22, 16:42
Well don't I feel like a fool.

I decided that I was going to strip the Erlking down and remove as much as I could and then send it to Avarice where it would be destroyed by the Riptide (or show it the real power of an Asgard). As I was going down the list on the repair/upgrade menu I noticed that the Flight Assist Software was not installed. Added the software and all is good.

Thanks for the help.
Solved it for me too. Thanks!
i7700K @ 4.8 GHz / 32 GB RAM / nvidia 1080 GTX 8 GB / Linux

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”