4.10 - Vanilla - Reproducible crash (event-triggered memory leak?) - Resolved after reboot.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

OwlPaste

4.10 - Vanilla - Reproducible crash (event-triggered memory leak?) - Resolved after reboot.

Post by OwlPaste » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 23:09

*Environment*
Linux OS + client
Vanilla, no mods

*Steps*
Load the game
Watch "Explorer - Takoba" on map view
Wait (about 1-2 min) until "Explorer Takoba" will report that it cannot carry out an order (it has a queue), doesn't matter what you do in the mean time.
Then the game grinds to a halt going to sub 1fps rates before eventually crashing with what I assume is a memory issue

*Step notes*
Its relatively early game,
"Explorer - Takoba" is not in any fleet, the only unassigned ship that has a whole bunch of orders queued up.

*Reproducibility*
6/6 attempts

*Notes*
Cannot try it out in 4.20 as got the game via GOG and they only have 4.10

Save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9caju42kvda0c ... ml.gz?dl=0

OwlPaste

Re: 4.10 - Vanilla - Reproducible crash (most likely specific event trirrered memory leak)

Post by OwlPaste » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 10:27

Found a likely candidate - my system was running out of available ram. However only this game was affected, no other applications were terminated and although response was slower, after X4 was terminated, everything returned to normal.
I had 0 swap available :o

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: 4.10 - Vanilla - Reproducible crash (most likely specific event trirrered memory leak)

Post by CBJ » Wed, 1. Dec 21, 11:14

We've checked over your save in both 4.10 and 4.20, and we can confirm that there is nothing strange going on in there, i.e. no runaway memory usage or anything. So it sounds like it must indeed be something to do with your system having insufficient memory available. :)

OwlPaste

Post by OwlPaste » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 21:05

Thanks for checking out, after I rebooted everything started working. I assumed that it was due to my swap file issues. Thought I had something reproducible :) Can close this one.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”