3.3- FREEZE - Losing Save Files

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

AbsintheAI

Re: 3.3- FREEZE - Losing Save Files

Post by AbsintheAI » Tue, 13. Oct 20, 12:32

I'm not too sure what the errors mean, as it is like a different language to me, but like I said, I do other stuff like video editing that requires processing that takes hours and puts my CPU to 100% and I never have my computer freeze to the point that I have to restart it.
Even with other games that puts the computer under a lot of stress.
I had Horizon Zero Dawn crash a bunch of times initially after it was just released, but it received quick patches and the patches resolved the crashes. Those crashes would only return me to the desktop, though and I could just start it up again. No restart required.

I'm not saying X4 is at fault. It might just be that the broken piece in my system/operating system is triggered by X4, I'm just saying that it is only with X4 that my computer is consistently freezing.

AbsintheAI

Post by AbsintheAI » Tue, 13. Oct 20, 12:35

P.S. The data recovery app is because I deleted something I shouldn't have and need to get it back.
I guess the reason it says it failed, is because I had it running while I was playing X4.
It was not running on the drive that the game is on, though. I have a separate "Data" drive where it was running.
I had to restart that search as well :shock:

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 13. Oct 20, 12:57

It's not just about CPU utilisation. Every application, and every game, stresses a system differently, uses different Windows features, different driver API features, and so on. If there's an error or weakness somewhere in your system then, yes, it's absolutely possible that only one application triggers them. For "normal" crashes like the one you describe with the other game, then it could be (and often is) a game issue, but for a hard system freeze requiring a restart that's pretty much always somewhere lower down in your system.

AbsintheAI

Post by AbsintheAI » Tue, 13. Oct 20, 13:00

Understood.

I will try to live with it and hopefully it will come right with an update, or maybe I will do another full wipe and clean install of Windows.

SirNukes
x4

Post by SirNukes » Tue, 13. Oct 20, 18:31

Sounds like an overclock error. Remove your overclock on cpu/memory and see if the problem goes away. Keep in mind when overclocking there there is no available user-side "stress" test program that can properly verify stability; only the developers have the design files to build test suites that hit the actual corner case critical paths. Also, that proc has quite a few years on it, and age degrades max clock speeds (moreso at higher voltages).

AbsintheAI

Post by AbsintheAI » Tue, 13. Oct 20, 21:55

How could I check for any overclocking?
If anything is overclocked, it must have been through some type of "optimization" software, as I have not deliberately overclocked anything.
I know the "k" for the CPU means it can be overclocked, but I did not buy it for that purpose. I just got it for a good price.

I'll Google a bit and see if I can spot any overclocking and remove it.
Thanks for the suggestion!

SirNukes
x4

Post by SirNukes » Tue, 13. Oct 20, 23:46

Oh sorry, I made a mistake. I thought that said i7 4770k at 4GHz, but 4790k is that speed by default and should be fine. Though you could take a look if the memory is running beyond spec (ddr3-1600 on that proc), which might be the case if using its XMP settings. A memory test tool might also be worth running.

AbsintheAI

Post by AbsintheAI » Wed, 14. Oct 20, 01:38

lol
No worries :)

I'll get a memory test tool. I see there are "stress test" tools to help identify stability issues. I'll get one of those as well to see if it makes my system fall over and maybe identify the faulty component.

Those are helpful suggestions. I appreciate your input!

AbsintheAI

Post by AbsintheAI » Tue, 20. Oct 20, 03:59

This is a very sad goodbye to X4 Foundations.

I still experience random freezes where the game will lock up. Mostly during a save, but occasionally during random actions (opening the map, opening the boarding screen).

This happens on a clean vanilla installation of X4. I bought it on GOG and it's currently at version 3.30 (414400).

As suggested in previous posts, I have ran utilities that performs health checks of the various hardware components. CPU, Memory, HDD. All came back with positive results and no errors found.
I have ran utilities that checked the integrity/performance of my operating system. These mostly reported things like files in temporary storage that can be cleaned out, registry entries, etc.
I ran a utility that verifies system files and fixes corrupted files/downloads proper files instead. It reported no issues.
I downloaded two different stress test utilities and ran both for more than 5 hours, maximizing my system to it's fullest and both completed with no issues at all.

All of this have been performed on a brand new installation of windows that's less than 3 months old. It was a clean install that wiped the boot drive and downloaded the installation. Not a reset.

In my mind, my hardware and operating system is intact and performing as it should.

As mentioned before, I play a variety of games that are very demanding and I do video editing that also puts a lot of strain on my computer for hours at end.
X4 Foundations is the only software that is causing my system to freeze and requires a reboot. This is sometimes within 30minutes of play, other times 2hours into play.

Maybe it still is something on my system that is faulty, but then X4 is the only software that is touching this faulty part and no utility out of the number of different utilities I tried is able to touch it.
Therefore I am left with no other choice than to bid X4 farewell.

I was looking forward to wiping the Xenon and the Khaak from the map, but I can only manage to get to owning about 28 Medium miners/freighters and 4 fighters. The farther I progress, the more frequent the freezes become.
Maybe I will give it another try when Cradle of Humanity launch, but I cannot play it in this state.

I want to thank everyone for their useful input and advise in attempting to resolve my issues. Your willingness to read my posts and reply with helpful feedback is very much appreciated.
To those lucky enough to enjoy this great game, have a blast and wipe those machines from the map for me!

Goodbye.

*Backs up save games*
*Clicks uninstall*
:cry:

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”