Computational Offloading ? - Answered.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

THE BL1P
x4

Computational Offloading ? - Answered.

Post by THE BL1P » Wed, 27. May 20, 09:53

Is it possible to offload some of the CPU work to a second PC or Server ?

I have a second PC doing nothing atm and I thought it would be nice to offload some of the CPU workload.

THanks.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Computational Offloading ?

Post by CBJ » Wed, 27. May 20, 10:36

Sadly not. :)

THE BL1P
x4

Re: Computational Offloading ?

Post by THE BL1P » Wed, 27. May 20, 10:39

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 27. May 20, 10:36
Sadly not. :)
Boo :)

THE BL1P
x4

Re: Computational Offloading ? - Answered.

Post by THE BL1P » Wed, 27. May 20, 13:30

My next question is can I make the game universe smaller to reduce the lag I suffer in conflict systems or would a smaller universe not help ?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 27. May 20, 13:39

There isn't, and even if you did I don't think it would make a huge difference. There is, of course, some constant background overhead for running the full universe simulation, but if you get significant slowdown in particular locations then the majority of that slowdown is likely to be caused by things happening in that location. There's not much that can be done about that given that, as you're probably aware, the per-core performance of your CPU is pretty much at, or even slightly below, the minimum requirement for the game.

THE BL1P
x4

Post by THE BL1P » Wed, 27. May 20, 14:39

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 27. May 20, 13:39
There isn't, and even if you did I don't think it would make a huge difference. There is, of course, some constant background overhead for running the full universe simulation, but if you get significant slowdown in particular locations then the majority of that slowdown is likely to be caused by things happening in that location. There's not much that can be done about that given that, as you're probably aware, the per-core performance of your CPU is pretty much at, or even slightly below, the minimum requirement for the game.
I wasn't aware of that I just know its a 4ghz cpu with 8 cores or thats what it said on the box anyway. Maybe AMD lied ?

Anyway thanks for the advise about the not being able to create a smaller universe and that it wouldn't really matter anyway.
I thought I had above min specs but I guess not, Ill just move onto another game if it gets much worse no problemo amigo :)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 27. May 20, 15:07

THE BL1P wrote:
Wed, 27. May 20, 14:39
I wasn't aware of that I just know its a 4ghz cpu with 8 cores or thats what it said on the box anyway. Maybe AMD lied ?
They didn't lie, but if you compare benchmarks against the Intel CPU listed in the minimum requirements, you'll see that the Intel has considerably better single-core performance. That's an important factor for all X series games. :)

Before you give up on it, though, I'd recommend looking through the performance troubleshooting sticky thread at the top of the forum. There may well be ways to improve performance to a point you are comfortable with.

THE BL1P
x4

Post by THE BL1P » Wed, 27. May 20, 16:24

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 27. May 20, 15:07
THE BL1P wrote:
Wed, 27. May 20, 14:39
They didn't lie, but if you compare benchmarks against the Intel CPU listed in the minimum requirements, you'll see that the Intel has considerably better single-core performance. That's an important factor for all X series games. :)

Before you give up on it, though, I'd recommend looking through the performance troubleshooting sticky thread at the top of the forum. There may well be ways to improve performance to a point you are comfortable with.
Thanks I will check that, again. :)

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”