AMD 5600XT Graphical Artifacting (not playable) - Fix in 3.10 beta.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

AMD 5600XT Graphical Artifacting (not playable) - Fix in 3.10 beta.

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Mon, 3. Feb 20, 17:41

No mods, Using Public Beta 3.0 Beta 5 on Steam
Latest AMD Driver as of writing, I DDU the driver before installing my new GPU and game is now unplayable. It has horrendous artifacts, I unloaded all extensions to test.
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6FDBKq7G4g

I have been playing other games and running benchmarks such as Time Spy without issues all night but this game is just not working.

DXDIAG: https://pastebin.com/imggyLTy
VulkanInfo: https://pastebin.com/jZd581F8
GPUInfo: https://pastebin.com/uuPEwnvL
https://i.imgur.com/13Urs6q.png

{Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now linked - Terre}
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*
MOD GemFX Real Space Shaders
MOD Variety and Rebalance Overhaul Icon Pack
I lost my Hans and should not be flying Solo.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: AMD 5600XT Graphical Artifacting (not playable)

Post by CBJ » Mon, 3. Feb 20, 17:52

What happens in other games or benchmarks is, I'm afraid, neither here nor there. Every application stresses hardware in different ways and uses different features of the graphics driver, any of which can expose underlying problems with the drivers or hardware. Note, for example, that X4 uses Vulkan, whereas most other games don't. Note also that if you had mods installed, uninstalling them will only help if you start a new game; removing mods will not remove their effects from an existing savegame.

All that having been said, the first thing to do is to verify your game installation using the option to do so in the Steam client. Check also, that the mods you were using were fully removed. If none of that helps then you may need to revert to the older driver to see if that was the cause. It is possible, however, that the problem is at a hardware level.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Mon, 3. Feb 20, 19:53

Just tested my AMD 5700, running 20.1.4, avg. fps 102, without any artefacts.

I've had problems with DDU leaving bits of AMD drivers behind.
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Mon, 3. Feb 20, 20:16

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 3. Feb 20, 17:52
What happens in other games or benchmarks is, I'm afraid, neither here nor there. Every application stresses hardware in different ways and uses different features of the graphics driver, any of which can expose underlying problems with the drivers or hardware. Note, for example, that X4 uses Vulkan, whereas most other games don't. Note also that if you had mods installed, uninstalling them will only help if you start a new game; removing mods will not remove their effects from an existing savegame.

All that having been said, the first thing to do is to verify your game installation using the option to do so in the Steam client. Check also, that the mods you were using were fully removed. If none of that helps then you may need to revert to the older driver to see if that was the cause. It is possible, however, that the problem is at a hardware level.
Verified Files in steam all came back clear.
Black flickering is present in the X4 Menu as well as the in-game flying around, exit game leaves display black but turn on and off display fixes this.
I ran the PC over more testing to be sure, I run OCCT for 45min without CPU error on a large file set test max temp was 67c with the OC on CPU I did test X4 with optimised bios defaults had the same issue, also to make sure the VBIOS was not corrupted on my GPU after upgrading it to the AMD official bios update for this card I switched the card into silent bios mode on the PCB there is a switch I never updated that bios so it is running factory setting before the update.

ALL driver settings are default btw.

I turned off image sharpening made no difference in X4 but it did fix the issues I was getting in the Witcher 3 which is a known thing some games have an artifact issue with alt-tab with Image sharpen on the latest drivers.

To clarify this is what I have done prior to re-testing
ALL MODS OFF
OCCT stress test CPU for 45min no error
Stress Test GPU with Furmark 40min no issue
Cleanly Uninstall driver within windows, Reboot to safe mode, use DDU again to clean the drivers I also removed the AMD folders manually in safe mode for the install stuff on C:/AMD
Re-install driver this time I used the WHQL certified for the 5600XT (to clarify I was using the 20.1.4 optional beta driver, to begin with, I am now using the WHQL AMD certified and tested driver for this card and it was cleanly installed after total removal of the old one.

Played the Witcher 3 for 40mins no issue, no flickering or odd behaviour when alt-tab or any of that anymore not since turning off image-sharpen I did re-test X4 same issue as above.

I will test more things when I wake up later, I installed DOOM 2016 to test Vulkan API on this GPU aswell will give that a run let you know. So far it appears to be just X4 with major flickering issues.

https://i.imgur.com/L30ANSa.png
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Mon, 3. Feb 20, 20:27

Terre wrote:
Mon, 3. Feb 20, 19:53
Just tested my AMD 5700, running 20.1.4, avg. fps 102, without any artefacts.

I've had problems with DDU leaving bits of AMD drivers behind.
What would you suggest to do now?
I removed the driver from windows using the uninstaller from within windows and re-ran DDU from safe mode installed WHQL 12.1.3 same issue in X4, If you see above post I was running the Witcher 3 for a solid 30mins without issue just casually running around, and I ran a bunch of stress tests.

It may be a vulkan APi issue with this new card or it may be X4 I am not sure why it would do this, I was running it just fine the other day with my R9 290 that was a temp solution until this new card arrived as prev I was using an RX 480 and that was going fine until after a year the memory died on the card and consequently the card died I have been using the same driver's on all the cards, problem occurred only when I installed this 5600XT PowerColor Red Devil
as I said I will attempt to play Doom 2016 as that is a Vulkan game and see what happens I will also test Furmark using Vulkan and see if that produces any immediate issue as X4 the issue is immediate the second it renders anything it flickers black with other flickering issues.
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Mon, 3. Feb 20, 20:36

I suppose all I can do is play a heap of current games and try to focus on Vulkan API titles, see if I get any such recurring issues with them, I mean I did run 3DMark Time Spy a solid 8 or so runs without issues when I first got the card.
I will google around see if anyone has a clue, unfortunately, the earliest driver I can use is the one I am on right now as that is the first 2020 driver which added support for 5600XT. Is the hardware faulty hard to say I mean I was not expecting this to occur but then again I would think that it would be a wider spread issue with many titles if the GPU hardware was somehow defective?

I found this
https://community.amd.com/thread/242557

Seems it is not just me with random issues I am thinking it has to do with my just getting my share of AMD driver bugs, which affect the 5000XT series of cards and certain things must be done to work around them until a driver fixes the entire problem, who knows. I will try a few of those things like using HDMI cable and turning off any virtual res or scaling options also make sure not to be using any driver based feature sets and just see what happens starting by deleting the profile for X4 and all that to reset the settings for that later.
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 3. Feb 20, 21:12

Something rather unusual you said above ("... exit game leaves display black but turn on and off display fixes this.") made me remember something I had seen before and a so I had a look at the 'known issues' in the latest AMD driver release notes; see if any of these that I have extracted from there apply in your case:
  • * A loss of display with working audio may be experienced on a limited number of displays when performing a mode change on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.

* Some Radeon RX 5700 series graphics users may intermittently experience a black screen while gaming or on desktop. A potential temporary workaround is disabling hardware acceleration in applications running in the background such as web browsers or Discord.
OK, for the second one, I know that yours is a 5600 card but still ...
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 03:52

Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 3. Feb 20, 21:12
Something rather unusual you said above ("... exit game leaves display black but turn on and off display fixes this.") made me remember something I had seen before and a so I had a look at the 'known issues' in the latest AMD driver release notes; see if any of these that I have extracted from there apply in your case:
  • * A loss of display with working audio may be experienced on a limited number of displays when performing a mode change on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.

* Some Radeon RX 5700 series graphics users may intermittently experience a black screen while gaming or on desktop. A potential temporary workaround is disabling hardware acceleration in applications running in the background such as web browsers or Discord.
OK, for the second one, I know that yours is a 5600 card but still ...
Figured haha,
I read the notes as well, I will give the suggestion ago as well as the suggested disable free sync and see how it goes, latest drivers came out literally this morning for me 20.2.1

I just noticed they added another bug I was having tho.

Code: Select all

Some games may exhibit stutter or appear to be downclocking on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
Good job AMD, literally I have not seen a series of GPU drivers this bad since some earlier AMD cards they need to get onto this as IMO amount of bugs the driver has atm is not acceptable from an industry leader, and this reminded me of something. If GPU memory experiences sudden throttle to very low-frequency 470mhz etc while gaming it can cause memory to overheat.
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 05:30

ledhead900 wrote:
Tue, 4. Feb 20, 03:52
If GPU memory experiences sudden throttle to very low-frequency 470mhz etc while gaming it can cause memory to overheat.
This does not seem likely. Power usage is directly proportional to frequency, specifically if it is actually being used. Modern memory uses so little power and GPU memory is actively cooled by the GPU heatsink anyway.

It would only overheat if there is a serious problem with the frequency to voltage LUTs using too large of a voltage for the requested performance.

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 07:34

Imperial Good wrote:
Tue, 4. Feb 20, 05:30
ledhead900 wrote:
Tue, 4. Feb 20, 03:52
If GPU memory experiences sudden throttle to very low-frequency 470mhz etc while gaming it can cause memory to overheat.
This does not seem likely. Power usage is directly proportional to frequency, specifically if it is actually being used. Modern memory uses so little power and GPU memory is actively cooled by the GPU heatsink anyway.

It would only overheat if there is a serious problem with the frequency to voltage LUTs using too large of a voltage for the requested performance.
True,
So far I confirm that my other games are working 100% fine.
  • More stuff since last night
  • Using AMD driver 20.2.1 came out over the nighttime, same problem.
  • I disabled AA in X4 no dice
  • I ran X4 in Window and Borderless window same issue.
  • I tried underclocking same GPU same issue.
  • Disable Freesync, same issue.
All testing done on a mod free new save
Fun fact, the flickering is only affecting objects in 3D world space, any in-game menu element is clear no issue, the galaxy map has no issue, and looking at the cube mapped skybox has no issue. See example gif below as I demonstrate in window mode how the 3D world space is flickering behind HUD element space.
https://i.imgur.com/xL3olLj.gifv
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 09:12

Hi, can you try changing various graphics settings (select custom, and change specific settings like glow, ssao, ssr)?
There's a high probability that disabling (or enabling) one/some of them will affect the issue (either it goes away, or it looks different).

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 14:30

timon37 wrote:
Tue, 4. Feb 20, 09:12
Hi, can you try changing various graphics settings (select custom, and change specific settings like glow, ssao, ssr)?
There's a high probability that disabling (or enabling) one/some of them will affect the issue (either it goes away, or it looks different).
:gruebel: UDPATE :!:
:arrow: Narrowed down the culprit to in-game setting Glow, any enabled detail level will immediately cause the previous artifact glitches in the 3D renderer space.

I have created a video in which I run through the issue, the process of reproduction and the resolution along with my in-game settings and how my game is currently configured.
https://youtu.be/qOzqXlRXwdA?t=3
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 15:57

I think you guys might have an issue in your rendering pipeline.
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 16:48

Either this is an AMD driver bug with implementing their Vulkan support, or X4 glow is relying on some undefined Vulkan behaviour which happens to work on Nvidia but can break badly on other vendors like AMD.

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 17:01

Imperial Good wrote:
Tue, 4. Feb 20, 16:48
Either this is an AMD driver bug with implementing their Vulkan support, or X4 glow is relying on some undefined Vulkan behaviour which happens to work on Nvidia but can break badly on other vendors like AMD.
Hard to say unless an AMD driver rep gets a hold of this information and internally tests the game on this card. I am using 20.2.1 driver set but I did try 2 previous sets before I found this cause to be glow.
some of the devs in here stated is not effecting the 5700XT's but it is effecting my 5600XT
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Wed, 5. Feb 20, 08:41

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 3. Feb 20, 17:52

I have narrowed down the issue to the Glow setting in X4, I published a video to demonstrate.
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Wed, 5. Feb 20, 09:18

Probably it's either a barrier issue with the glow or around it, or some NaNs getting rendered and picked up and spread around by the glow.
These are often gpu architecture specific.

However I'd expect it to be there both for 5700 and 5600.
These can also be situation and performance sensitive (sometimes extremely), so to be sure:
@ledhead900 please make a savegame where you get this issue a lot
@Terre can you retest that savegame with the same settings as in the video and "glow on"? https://youtu.be/qOzqXlRXwdA?t=156
If you still don't get it bump up settings to lower performance, it might start happening at some point.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Wed, 5. Feb 20, 11:13

timon37 wrote:
Wed, 5. Feb 20, 09:18
@Terre can you retest that savegame with the same settings as in the video and "glow on"? https://youtu.be/qOzqXlRXwdA?t=156
I used the setting shown in the YT video as a starting point and got artefacts.

Tested with:
Glow set to Normal
Screen Space Reflections set to Off
Lead to only only minor disturbance.

Glow set to Normal
Screen Space Reflections set to Low
Gave me flashes all over the place, especially when I walked the character around the space station.

Glow set to Normal
Changed SSAA*2 setting back my original setting of MSAA*2.
All flashing stopped, which is why I didn't see the artefacts before.
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Wed, 5. Feb 20, 11:23

timon37 wrote:
Probably it's either a barrier issue with the glow or around it, or some NaNs getting rendered and picked up and spread around by the glow.
These are often gpu architecture specific.

However I'd expect it to be there both for 5700 and 5600.
These can also be situation and performance sensitive (sometimes extremely), so to be sure:
@ledhead900 please make a savegame where you get this issue a lot
If you still don't get it bump up settings to lower performance, it might start happening at some point.
I uploaded the YouTube video it's me :), I recorded that video on my system haha to show you guys exactly what is going on with my 5600xt and glow. On the Forum I'm ledhead900 but on discord and YouTube in Misunderstood Wookiee I dunno if I can update my username here as I made the account long ago here back when reunion was the only game I had .

So to clarify you want me to make a save game with this issue? If I told you all I did was begin a clean non modded save and choose the Young gun Start will that be enough instead of unloading my mods again to make a save file ? The YouTube video you refer too is simply the Young Gun Start and I just stayed next to the starting ship in the same station you begin the gsmestart in.
Last edited by Misunderstood Wookie on Wed, 5. Feb 20, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Wed, 5. Feb 20, 11:27

Terre wrote:
Wed, 5. Feb 20, 11:13
timon37 wrote:
I used the setting shown in the YT video as a starting point and got artefacts.

Tested with:
Glow set to Normal
Screen Space Reflections set to Off
Lead to only only minor disturbance.

Glow set to Normal
Gave me flashes all over the place, especially when I walked the character around the space station.

Glow set to Normal
Changed SSAA*2 setting back my original setting of MSAA*2.
All flashing stopped, which is why I didn't see the artefacts before.
Interesting any amount of glow screws up for me , the YouTube video in question is actually mine haha, so what you see there is my playthrough and configurations. I have played the game today just fine for 45min I used every setting except glow and it runs perfectly fine with an average fps of 98, I uses fxaa smaa and msaa reflections on off you name it and I did all the playing today with all my mods enabled and continued my old save where I left off before I installed my 5600xt and had to debug this glow issue

Moral of that story if I enabled glow high chances the issue occurs at some point, with glow on normal or high literally every single model with glow will cause this issue of artifacting it's especially noticeable in space and docked in stations really does not matter where as it effects everything for me I don't even have to load a save file the main menu 3D scene will flicker with artifacting. After I figured out it was glow I published the video here.

Though yeah that is exactly what happens , with glow enabled and you walk around it progressively is worse the more objects around with glow and motion, standing or flying still it only occasionally will flicker but any kind of erratic movements such as steering the ship or looking around a station will be as in my YouTube video in space it appears as mostly black boxes or rectangles but on station it appears as tho it takes the color of the glow effect so different color glowing objects you'll get a wash of artifacting colour.

I can confirm it only effects models with glow the Skybox and any 2D sprite or texture is not effected with this in mind and easiest way to test it is to look straight up into the Skybox or open the galaxy map and fiddle in the menu's you will immediately notice the flicker is in the background and not the foreground.
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”