X4 Performance Troubleshooting Suggestions

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jojorne
x4

Re: X4 Performance Troubleshooting Suggestions

Post by jojorne » Sat, 6. Aug 22, 22:29

Liath wrote:
Fri, 18. Mar 22, 18:50
I had been having issues with stuttering in the game, in ways that screamed "loading texture data".
It can be a lot of things. My experience with stuttering from "loading texture data" in other games wasn't a RAM, VRAM, GPU, HDD or SSD issue.
It led me to a weak CPU issue because the game needs to create a new texture to put the current texture LOD in it, doing so, use the CPU as well.
Just by changing the CPU, I'm not having any more stutters. I can also use motion blur and set reflections, volumetric lighting and fog to medium.
Liath wrote:
Fri, 18. Mar 22, 21:07
I'm confused, then. If I fly up to a station, spin around a few times (so it loads all model/texture data), sit still for a few seconds, then do the same thing again,
then why would I still experience a disk-related loading stutter? If the data remained in the GPU's RAM, it stands to reason there would not be a disk-read incurring a hit?
The LOD swapping can cause the stuttering. Let me explain: Yes, no disk, the texture is in the RAM or VRAM after loaded.
But the calculation of when to swap the current LOD is done by the CPU and it will create a new texture to swap the LOD.
Then it will transfer the texture LOD data from RAM to the new texture inside the VRAM or something between those lines.
Liath wrote:
Fri, 18. Mar 22, 18:50
The good news is that I've moved the game to my OS drive, which is NVMe, as opposed to SATA(AHCI), and the issue is generally not noticeable now.
This could be a placebo effect. Swapping the storage might have triggered some switches on your motherboard that control the data tracks.
Take my pc as an example, I have two M2 but when I use the Thunderbolt, it lowers one M2 speed by half but the other M2 that doesn't share the same track.
I could also equip three GPUs if I want, but only one of those GPUs will have a dedicated data track to work with. The other two will share with the M2 track.
Note: Some people might say it's not the CPU. In this case it could be the motherboard because data also needs to travel on the motherboard between
the CPU and GPU. Some motherboards share these tracks. Check if it's being used by something else currently equipped on your motherboard. Anyways...
If you set the texture settings to medium or low the problem should go away because the amount of data/LOD is lower, speeding up the calculation/transfer.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 7. Aug 22, 11:18

HumanSDK wrote:
Tue, 31. May 22, 11:28
Hi guys. Do the developers have plans to add FSR 2.0 support?
If they add motion data to the render pipeline they will. But until then it offers no benefit over FSR 1.0 so they will not.

Due to the complexity of adding motion data it is not something they would do just for FSR 2.0. It would need to be added for more than just that and even then might not be a priority.
jojorne wrote:
Sat, 6. Aug 22, 22:29
It can be a lot of things. My experience with stuttering from "loading texture data" in other games wasn't a RAM, VRAM, GPU, HDD or SSD issue.
It led me to a weak CPU issue because the game needs to create a new texture to put the current texture LOD in it, doing so, use the CPU as well.
Just by changing the CPU, I'm not having any more stutters. I can also use motion blur and set reflections, volumetric lighting and fog to medium.
It is more likely the weak CPU was struggling to keep simulation at full speed so was having an issue with available time to generate and issue render commands. Small spikes in simulation update time would result in frame rate dipping.

The grunt work of texture creation should mostly be handled by the GPU. With the CPU just needing to stage texture data and enqueue the commands. Once buffers are allocated for textures they would be getting recycled using a custom memory allocator rather than being constantly reallocated, allowing new textures to be loaded in pretty efficiently. Modern GPUs are capable of performing memory operations, such as used to copy around texture data, in parallel to compute during times that the GPU memory controller would otherwise be idle.
jojorne wrote:
Then it will transfer the texture LOD data from RAM to the new texture inside the VRAM or something between those lines.
This is an operation between the CPU memory controller and the GPU memory controller. It should not affect core compute executing much, especially given how slow the 16x PCI-E link is between them compared with either memory.

Only the highest texture levels would need significant time to transfer, and those could be done asynchronously to avoid affecting frame rate. As it is asset pop-in is frequent.
jojorne wrote:
Take my pc as an example, I have two M2 but when I use the Thunderbolt, it lowers one M2 speed by half but the other M2 that doesn't share the same track.
This is likely because that M.2 slot is being provided by the motherboard chipset. The motherboard chipset has limited bandwidth with the CPU. When you use other peripherals that share the chipset you can run into bandwidth limitations. Especially if using something highspeed like thunderbolt/USBC which requires a lot of bandwidth.
jojorne wrote:
I could also equip three GPUs if I want, but only one of those GPUs will have a dedicated data track to work with. The other two will share with the M2 track.
This is usually not how consumer motherboards are laid out.
2 of the PCIE slots should be linked directly to the CPU using the 16x slot for graphics. If both are populate then bifurcation is used causing each to run as an 8x slot with dedicated but effectively half bandwidth. The final PCI-E slot is usually an optional extra from the chipset, so will share chipset bandwidth and is often limited to anywhere between 1x and 4x. This will also share chipset bandwidth with any M.2 slots connected to the chipset.

It is uncommon for the dedicated 4x PCI-E from CPU for M.2 storage to be bifurcated further. I know of devices that exist to allow this but usually additional storage is attached to the chipset.

This is not an issue for HEDT and servers. Those CPUs usually have so many PCI-E lanes that motherboard makers have issues finding use for them all.

I doubt M.2 bifucation will be noticeable by the user. X4 is unlikely to be anywhere close to saturating decent NVMe drives. Writing an application that can is very difficult and will often involve very high CPU usage if doing anything other than flipping buffers.

jojorne
x4

Post by jojorne » Sun, 7. Aug 22, 17:26

Imperial Good wrote:
Sun, 7. Aug 22, 11:18
It is more likely the weak CPU was struggling to keep simulation at full speed so was having an issue with available time to generate and issue render commands. Small spikes in simulation update time would result in frame rate dipping.
Oh, no-no. I m talking about other games and the "loading texture data" feeling in my experience. Never had stuttering with X4. Just low FPS with the old CPU. Now, with the new CPU, I run it at 60FPS with a GTX1060 and 1080p.

Ps: Thanks for explaining the technical details xD

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Sun, 21. Aug 22, 22:42

It puzzles me how incredibly varied the game performance can be. For example, my current game, which is a mature universe, where I have lots of personal ships and stations and the universe is busy with conflicts show excellent performance, with me rarely seeing below 60fps in most situations other than very large battles or heavily populated (with NPC's) stations. I've been really happy with this.

Today, on a whim and with the exact same build, I started a NEW game. Right from the start performance has been TERRIBLE with stuttering and fps regularly below 30 - especially, but not limited to, stations. I initially put this down to the usual "universe warming up" but my game is just over two hours old now and performance is still rubbish.

I can see that it's the CPU being pushed - nor surprise there - with one of my 3900X's Cores almost permanently running at 4.6Ghz, and several others pretty busy. GPU is busy - my settings are generally quite high - but is barely breaking 50% load. I just cannot see what is so different here. Exactly the same hardware, exactly the same build of the game, literally nothing has changed yet this new game is performing terribly. So much so I'm thinking of abandoning it and returning to my mature game.

I was posting a short while ago about how GREAT performance was for me lately, but that's all changed after a simple restart. Does the game need more than two hours to settle down in a fresh start?

My game is modified, but the exact same modified game in my mature save is performing great. Could there be other factors involved?

Edit: Even basic one-on-one combat encounters in empty space are seeing me drop to under 30fps, I just don't understand why my CPU is being so heavily loaded in this scenario. It just doesn't usually do this! It reminds me of the old days in X2, back when I had one of the early dual cores. Sometimes I'd launch X2 and it'd play BEAUTIFULLY, other times it'd be a stuttery mess. This was proven to be the Windows scheduler simply getting it wrong as sometimes it'd put the X game thread and the DX Thread (both quite heavy) on the SAME core. Other times it'd be correctly (aka randomly) on separate cores, seeing great performance. I have saved, exited, relaunched and reloaded the game, but this excessively heavy load is persisting. I will give it time, to see if things start performing better.

Edit 2: I played on last night for about another hour or so and performance did appear to improve. I genuinely wonder now if a new Universe takes *several* hours to settle down. In my experience - now many hours of game time - it's always been what's going on in my current sector that directly impacts fps. The mother of all battles In Sector might cause low FPS, leaving the sector though all is fine. This is why it's so odd that even the most basic one-on-one fights in an otherwise very empty (one station, minimal traffic) sector would see such a huge fps drop. Never had that before. FPS Dropping on stations when NPC's are wandering around is a thing. I reported previously how I could have GREAT performance walking around one of my stations, but the moment I added the Admin Module and NPC started wandering around I'd lose at least 30% fps - something not quite right there.

It's interesting as HF3 dropped during my current long-term game and appeared to give a slight boost to fps overall. I also got a new GPU (3070 from 1070) and while I was very much CPU-bound it still made a noticeable improvement. Speculation was that the newer GPU has less CPU overhead in the drivers. So, to go from a very well-perfoming mature game to a fresh start plagued with poor performance is darn odd. Usually a fresh start would be the best performance you'd ever get in the game, bar the first few minutes where things are starting up, so to speak.

I think I might be building a new PC soon, something with a Raptor Lake (13 series) or perhaps a new Zen 4 once reviews are out to give me some more CPU horse power. This will be JUST for X4 as it's the only game that seems to tax my current 3900X. Will likely stick with the 3070 as it's all blocked up for water cooling.

Thought: I do wonder if some Windows update has played with the scheduler as something really wasn't quite right last night. I've never seen one core consistently locked at 4.6ghz before while the other cores are pretty busy too. Usually one will just periodically touch 4.6 for a brief moment, but never hold it like that. It does suggest that too many threads were assigned to that one Core and not spread over others perhaps.

You know, I really thought performance - other than in particularly large battles - was pretty solid now, the issue with this fresh start surprised me.

jeckhack
x4

Post by jeckhack » Thu, 1. Sep 22, 23:27

Hi! I have a small question regarding performance. There's a spot in Heretic's End, near the gate to Wretched Skies, you know, the big asteroid field. This asteroid field, combined with volumetric fog on high setting, causes massive slowdown, down to 15-18 fps on 9900k and rtx2070s 1920x1080 (!) without AA (!). AFAIK this is the only place in the game that slows down so much.

Is it expected behavior?

P.S. What's wrong with this fog anyway? I can't even see a visual difference between this setting off and high. Screenshots I make look identical... but performance hit is enormous.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 2. Sep 22, 00:18

Causes of performance issues are rarely as simple as just being in a particular location. Please start a new thread explaining your situation, give it a clear title, and provide the information requested in the first sticky thread at the top of this forum. Please also include a link to a savegame that you've uploaded to a reputable hosting site, with your player ship somewhere in the affected area. That way we can examine the situation and see what the specific bottleneck is, and whether or not it's something that we'd expect to see.

Tempest
x4

Post by Tempest » Wed, 23. Nov 22, 12:50

Any thoughts/tentative expectations (if any) about the upcoming AMD RDNA 3 cards?

CPU is king for X4 obviously, but hoping a GPU change might sqeeze out some more Frames in X4. (upgrading for other reasons aswell though)

Looking to finally replace the 1080Ti with an RX6900 , or perhaps RX6800, seems like a logical step considering performance vs Watt.
AMD 5800X|Gskill 4x8GB 3800C14 (MCLK:1800 for Coupled mode)|Gigabyte X570 Elite F37|TUF3080|Samsung NVME 980 Pro 250|ASUS PG279QE 2560x1440@144

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Wed, 23. Nov 22, 13:44

Tempest wrote:
Wed, 23. Nov 22, 12:50
Any thoughts/tentative expectations (if any) about the upcoming AMD RDNA 3 cards?
They will probably max out X4, even at higher resolutions. Especially the higher tier cards.

Even a 1080Ti should max X4 out at a reasonable resolution. I highly doubt you will gain many more frames per second, except maybe from driver optimisations saving some CPU cycles (or taking some more CPU cycles lowering frame rate...).

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Wed, 23. Nov 22, 15:32

A 3070 can "max out" X4 at 1440p quite readily while maintaining 60fps minimum, when the CPU allows. It really is largely about the CPU though, and strong single-Core performance in particular. While things have improved since launch, it still appears to be one particular Core being pushed somewhat harder than the others that stifles performance. The big performance hits for me are either lots of activity at say a Wharf-type stations, with lots of ships landing and taking off - especially Fighter Drones. Or larger battles. For some reason, if I stand on a Wharf with high ship activity, performance can suffer. If it stand on one of my own very busy stations with a regular 6S3M dock though, performance is generally fine. Ships do tend to struggle more docking at / leaving a Wharf though, regular making pathing mistakes and getting stuck.

I know it's far from simple, but I (and no doubt many others) wish it were possible for X4 to be less constrained by one particularly heavy thread. Don't get me wrong, X4 is making FAR better use of multiple Cores than it did at launch, but performance always ends up being the thing most people talk about, when it comes to X4. A lot of people say "but detailed background sim, real economy blah blah" but, even on the most advanced game, I get GREAT performance unless I'm near a busy station or a large battle. Teleporting away, always sees performance recover to a vSync'd 60fps outside of the odd quirk. I've never had poor performance in a low-population sector for example when no fight is going on close by.

Running the game as High Priority helps as the game (Windows) has a tendency to hit the page file HARD as soon as over 8GB is demanded by the game, even when ample RAM is available. Making X3.exe High Priority helps with keeping currently needed assets in RAM. I've noticed this with particular long-term / mature games where it's simply using more RAM - 12 - 16GB during play, 4 - 8 of that is paged out. Note: I tested this quite extensively, as my game had turned into a slide-show. As I saw X4.exe was constantly getting currently needed data from the page file, rather than just keeping in the ample RAM I had, I simply DISABLED the page file. Loading the same save was then gloriously smooth as everything the game needed was kept in RAM as there was no page file. As not having a page file isn't ideal, I then played with setting the Priority to High, which does help, but not as much as not having a page file.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 23. Nov 22, 15:38

I suspect this has become a hardware discussion more suited for Off Topic than useful information in a troubleshooting advisory Sticky thread. The thread author can decide if they wish to keep it here.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Tempest
x4

Post by Tempest » Thu, 24. Nov 22, 09:44

Apologies for veering off-topic, Imperial Good, Alan Phipps.
AMD 5800X|Gskill 4x8GB 3800C14 (MCLK:1800 for Coupled mode)|Gigabyte X570 Elite F37|TUF3080|Samsung NVME 980 Pro 250|ASUS PG279QE 2560x1440@144

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Thu, 24. Nov 22, 11:50

Scoob wrote:
Wed, 23. Nov 22, 15:32
Running the game as High Priority helps as the game (Windows) has a tendency to hit the page file HARD as soon as over 8GB is demanded by the game, even when ample RAM is available. Making X3.exe High Priority helps with keeping currently needed assets in RAM. I've noticed this with particular long-term / mature games where it's simply using more RAM - 12 - 16GB during play, 4 - 8 of that is paged out. Note: I tested this quite extensively, as my game had turned into a slide-show. As I saw X4.exe was constantly getting currently needed data from the page file, rather than just keeping in the ample RAM I had, I simply DISABLED the page file. Loading the same save was then gloriously smooth as everything the game needed was kept in RAM as there was no page file. As not having a page file isn't ideal, I then played with setting the Priority to High, which does help, but not as much as not having a page file.
This behaviour is unusual as Windows should only start paging out once memory usage is very high (~90%). Windows tries to keep some small amount of memory free so that applications that request more memory do not get stalled waiting for memory pages to be written out to the page file.

Make sure anti virus software, cloud backup and indexing software is not churning through a lot of files potentially confusing windows into paging out application memory for the file cache/memory mapped file pages.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Mon, 28. Nov 22, 16:45

Imperial Good wrote:
Thu, 24. Nov 22, 11:50
This behaviour is unusual as Windows should only start paging out once memory usage is very high (~90%). Windows tries to keep some small amount of memory free so that applications that request more memory do not get stalled waiting for memory pages to be written out to the page file.

Make sure anti virus software, cloud backup and indexing software is not churning through a lot of files potentially confusing windows into paging out application memory for the file cache/memory mapped file pages.
I agree. Something changed in Windows after an update earlier this year. The issue has been commented on in other Forums too, where people with ample RAM - like me - were seeing it underutilised but the (system managed) page file getting huge and being hit hard. It's not an issue with my system, but some change in Windows it appears. Your points re: AV etc. are good, but not the cause in this case. AV is just windows default, no Cloud stuff running, no indexing active. This is quite a lean build.

I thought at first that this was an X4 issue, as I have other titles that regularly use large chunks of RAM (20GB+) but did not exhibit the same behaviour. I did post about it and CBJ (IIRC) confirmed that Windows is responsible for all RAM management, the game doesn't try to do anything different based on available RAM. That, and the posts on other forums about the issue, suggested some change in Windows.

Note: Windows has had some other memory management quirks of late too. The main other one I noticed was its failure to free up Standby RAM. I was getting "out of memory" type errors on a system with 32GB with less than 12GB "used" in total. Inspecting RAM usage in more detail, I could clearing see that Standby RAM was NOT being freed correctly. I.e. I'd play Skyrim for a bit, then move on to another title. However, I could clearly see 20GB+ of Standby RAM still containing Skyrim data and NOT being freed - even when a "low memory" situation arose. Using a 3rd party tool - RAM Map - I could manually free the Standby RAM and all would be well. All that said, this specific issue appears to have been fixed in a Windows update. I continued monitoring RAM usage for ages, but what was a consistent issue went away. Note: it only happened when I played one game for a while, then went on to another. It's more usual for me to play just ONE title of an evening rather than several. However, I'm doing that now without issue.

So, yeah, a weird issue that suggest perhaps a config error but appears to rather be some change in Windows - based on reports other than mine. I never used to have issues with titles using large amounts of RAM - I have several that love RAM - but this was the first time I'd seen the Page File consistently hit like this, until I disabled it (to test a theory) then went High Priority as a longer-term fix. I still have the long-term game that original showed the issue, though I've not played it for quite a while, I might see how Windows handles it now at normal priority.

Final Note: there could of course be some obscure quirk with my build (and others who've experience the issue) or some particular item of Hardware / software we all have in common. I'd not rule it out. However, this PC is just for gaming now - I have other machines for other tasks, such as the one I'm on now, typing this - so is a very lean build without extra codecs, software etc. bloatware MS apps are removed, and certain telemetry disabled. I'm often the guy who doesn't have issues vs. friend's PC's who are a bit more bloated.

Bartic
x3tc

Post by Bartic » Fri, 2. Dec 22, 20:39

Regarding graphic performance:

I went to the Asteroid Belt - the most demanding place I encountered in X4 for my GPU.
Facing the belt itself, flying slowly toward some station, I tried every setting, making screenshots to see the difference.
And what struck me most, the only setting that made any difference to FPS was antialiasing setting. MSAA looked the best on distant objects but was more demanding than SSAO. Frankly speaking, I saw little change between NOAA, FXAA, SSAO. So i stick to the NOAA but with other settings max but surface reflection (medium).

Game has steady 30-60 FPS ;)

GTX 1080
i7-8700k
1440p

bufi
x4

Post by bufi » Sun, 1. Jan 23, 19:23

Bartic wrote:
Fri, 2. Dec 22, 20:39
[...]
And what struck me most, the only setting that made any difference to FPS was antialiasing setting. MSAA looked the best on distant objects but was more demanding than SSAO. Frankly speaking, I saw little change between NOAA, FXAA, SSAO. So i stick to the NOAA but with other settings max but surface reflection (medium).

Game has steady 30-60 FPS ;)

GTX 1080
i7-8700k
1440p
On my setup with RTX2060 best performance i have with FXAA antialiasing set to on. And huge fps boost giving me a Volumetric Fog set to low. Rest is on High. 40-90 fps. 1440p

r.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Wed, 4. Jan 23, 20:58

Bartic wrote:
Fri, 2. Dec 22, 20:39
I went to the Asteroid Belt - the most demanding place I encountered in X4 for my GPU.
They are mostly demanding on the CPU due to the number and complexity of nearby collision objects. Asteroid fields may look complex, but for modern GPUs they are visually not that complex. Instead the huge number of collision shapes nearby, that also rotate, are quite resource intensive for CPUs.

i7 8700k being an older CPU that has also been affected by spectre/meltdown mitigations it is quite likely to be CPU bound in such situations rather than a GTX 1080.
bufi wrote:
Sun, 1. Jan 23, 19:23
On my setup with RTX2060 best performance i have with FXAA antialiasing set to on. And huge fps boost giving me a Volumetric Fog set to low. Rest is on High. 40-90 fps. 1440p
Volumetric fog can be demanding at higher settings. Like wise screen space effects at high setting can also be GPU demanding. If you are GPU bottlenecked, lowering their quality can improve frame rate with minimal visual impact.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Mon, 30. Jan 23, 11:15

Something I cant get my head around.

FSR .. Do I need to use it ?
There are topics all over the internet getting very technical which overall seduce me into trying it (I have seen articles claiming "there is very little reason not to use it", which dont explain the reasons), but really I dont think I need to use it and wonder if turning it on is actually detrimental in anyway to performance.

System Spec in signature below.

I run the game in Fullscreen (no border or borderless, its fullscreen exclusive).
Native resolution for this machine is 1920x1080
But for me this is overkill and I cut this down to give the laptop less to do (less heat generation), desktop is set at 1360x768
The game also runs in the same screen resolution of 1360x768 ..

.. So as far as I understand, FSR is only beneficial for machines trying to run a huge screen display of 4k, to optimise the rendering on larger resolutions.
.. And so, in my case is enabling FSR even needed?, and is it possibly adding a rendering step in my case that is slightly detrimental to performance?

So much misinformation and possibly placebo posts on the internet from many people not fully understanding this feature, its hard to decide whether it could be beneficial or not. And my own personal testing of different modes is just inconclusive (apart from slight visual differences). It seems the most positive results are on Desktop machines with huge monitor screen resolutions.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 30. Jan 23, 13:18

alt3rn1ty wrote:
Mon, 30. Jan 23, 11:15
FSR .. Do I need to use it ?
There are topics all over the internet getting very technical which overall seduce me into trying it (I have seen articles claiming "there is very little reason not to use it", which dont explain the reasons), but really I dont think I need to use it and wonder if turning it on is actually detrimental in anyway to performance.
FSR does not reduce performance. It effectively reduces resolution the game is rendered at, saving significant workload for the GPU.
alt3rn1ty wrote:
Mon, 30. Jan 23, 11:15
But for me this is overkill and I cut this down to give the laptop less to do (less heat generation), desktop is set at 1360x768
The game also runs in the same screen resolution of 1360x768 ..

.. So as far as I understand, FSR is only beneficial for machines trying to run a huge screen display of 4k, to optimise the rendering on larger resolutions.
.. And so, in my case is enabling FSR even needed?, and is it possibly adding a rendering step in my case that is slightly detrimental to performance?
In your case you want to use FSR to reduce the internal resolution X4 is rendered at and have X4 output at the display native resolution. FSR is a better upscaler than the normal algorithms built into your display/drivers.

What FSR does is render the game at a fraction of the output resolution based on the selected quality setting. Higher quality settings mean an internal resolution closer to the native output resolution. For the exact internal resolution you can use the lookup tables available on the internet to find what scale ratio each quality setting represents.

You probably should set your desktop to native resolution. The desktop is trivial for modern dedicated GPUs to render that even at full HD it will barely load something like a RTX 3060 mobile. If you are having problems with readability due to the high DPI of the display then the solution is to change the target DPI of the operating system rather than the desktop resolution, so that text is rendered larger and the benefits of clear type rendering are retained.

Do not use task manager as an indicator of CPU or GPU power usage. They show the percentage of time scheduled and not the percentage of maximum potential work done. Due to the aggressive power saving by dynamically changing the clock speed of modern GPUs and CPUs, it is entirely possible to end with task manager reporting silly values such as a game like Factorio using 80% of the GPU while in reality the GPU is so underloaded it is running entirely on passive cooling at near minimum power.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Mon, 30. Jan 23, 14:50

Imperial Good wrote:
Mon, 30. Jan 23, 13:18
In your case you want to use FSR to reduce the internal resolution X4 is rendered at and have X4 output at the display native resolution. FSR is a better upscaler than the normal algorithms built into your display/drivers.

What FSR does is render the game at a fraction of the output resolution based on the selected quality setting. Higher quality settings mean an internal resolution closer to the native output resolution. For the exact internal resolution you can use the lookup tables available on the internet to find what scale ratio each quality setting represents.
Thats just the info I needed, and a lot less confusing than all I have read elswehere, thank you :)
You probably should set your desktop to native resolution. The desktop is trivial for modern dedicated GPUs to render that even at full HD it will barely load something like a RTX 3060 mobile. If you are having problems with readability due to the high DPI of the display then the solution is to change the target DPI of the operating system rather than the desktop resolution, so that text is rendered larger and the benefits of clear type rendering are retained.
And again thank you - You guessed right in that readability is the main reason, but also I find desktop icons move position if I load a game at a different resolution, and then quit the game, only to have to reposition some icons again which is annoying.

Sorted at last.
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

Seeker of Sohnen.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Fri, 3. Feb 23, 21:27

@Imperial Good :
What are your thoughts on Hyper-Threading, is it beneficial to X4 or not.

I have a Core I7 10870H 2.1-5.0ghz, its an Octo Core so with Hyper-Threading has an additional 8 logical cores. Hyper-Threading can be disabled in my BIOS which brings it down to just the 8 Cores .. So I wonder if it would be beneficial in any way to disable it?

Seeker of Sohnen.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”