Freesync doesnt seem to work with x4. Or any sorta of vsync type options to get rid of tearing.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Skeeter
x3

Freesync doesnt seem to work with x4. Or any sorta of vsync type options to get rid of tearing.

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 11. Jul 19, 05:40

Hey.

So i now have a 32in freesync ips monitor does up to 75hz and in drivers of my gfx card ive capped it 74 so to keep FS ingames working. Seems to work in games but x4 just doesnt seem to use it its still a tearing mess of a game when turning the camera on a station.

Ive had a look on google and it doesnt matter if its vulkan or not it should work like with dx or opengl as its a card to monitor thing not a game affecting it in the loop element at all.

Ive tried fullscreen and borderless window and ive tried vysnc off and on and adaptive but none of those work at all, even vsync which ud think would stop tearing at a cost of fps doesnt at all.

My new gfx card is a vega 56.

Can i get some help to get rid of the horrid tearing please.

Dxdiag
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 8835391176

Vulkan info
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 2881673462

Yes i know theres 2 newer versions of my gfx card driver out but i had issues with em. Yes i know my audio card asus dg is old, drivers are old but cant update as last ones were from 2015 etc. I know amd audio has issues with the game i think ive locked it to disabled so shouldnt be a issue in device manager.

Cpu usage was less than 50% so not a cpu bottleneck issue and gpu is high even tho i should be getting far better frames per second i think ur game needs more vulkan optimization compared to other games with it and yes thats games that go heavy on cpu usage as atm x4 isnt cpu heavy at least for me if its not even past 50 or 60% usage with msi afterburner reporting.

About my game, no mods, just stock, with latest 2.5 patch steam put on when it came out and default game start after about a weeks worth of on and off play time. So not that far.

Kinda wish x4 used rebirths engine now as that looks and runs amazing on my new gfx card. Even 4k dynamic scaling the thing is playable.

Edit - viewtopic.php?t=402748

Looks like it was a problem for others too.

Also had tearing on my 780ti 3gb too but not as bad as somehow i got it to be less dunno how.

I did notice tho that tearing isnt as bad if ur outside of a station flying around even near a stations not too bad, its when u go insde them hanger bays is when tearing starts even if in the ship but turning looking all over the inside shows some tearing then it just jumps up to terrible tearing when ur landed and using the mouse to move and look about. Defo needs fixing ego. Cant possibly think its normal to have this in like this.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Skeeter
x3

Re: Freesync doesnt seem to work with x4. Or any sorta of vsync type options to get rid of tearing.

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 11. Jul 19, 08:13

I flew to a diff station seemed a bit better, maybe look at my save and see why its bad on this station where i reported bad tearing.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 7842690868

It should be 100% reproducible as its always tearing like mad when u use the mouse to look about when i load this save up. Just spent all night trying different settings ingame and in drivers, nothings helped apart from fly to a diff type of hanger.
[ external image ]

shmerl

Re: Freesync doesnt seem to work with x4. Or any sorta of vsync type options to get rid of tearing.

Post by shmerl » Thu, 11. Jul 19, 08:45

Skeeter wrote:
Thu, 11. Jul 19, 05:40
Ive had a look on google and it doesnt matter if its vulkan or not it should work like with dx or opengl as its a card to monitor thing not a game affecting it in the loop element at all.
In general, adaptive sync requires driver support at least that's the case on Linux. I know radv recently added adaptive sync, but admvlk still didn't. If you are using Windows and AMD, you are probably using amdvlk driver.

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Sat, 13. Jul 19, 12:20

@Skeeter from the DXDiag says the monitor is set to 2560x1440 on the windows. Please set it to the correct resolution first. Then install 19.7.1 as AMD has fixes issues existed with 19.6.x and added a new set for Vulkan API.

Also your monitor supports Freesync at above 30fps, so for it to work you have to keep 31fps or higher.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sat, 13. Jul 19, 16:09

It is set to 1440p as thats my monitors native res.

It supports range from 48-75 but with cru ive been able to get freesync to work at 38-75 as loads of ppl with same monitor has it done. No ill effects either. Totally safe. Tried different drivers all the same. I think freesync can work in the game at different stations hangers the ones with open tops but from that save i provided the closed roof hanger im on theres tearing even within freesyncs range. So im stumped. As the fps is around 45-55 depending where i am and looking yet that area is just terrible for timing of the monitor for some reason hence tearing. Heck i could have 75fps and it would still tear i bet.

My monitor btw is Q3279VWFD8

Vulkan api should have been able to boost frame rates with more stuff on screen cos of the low overhead of the driver so i dunno why its having trouble in x4 unless its just not optimised very well especially around stations.
[ external image ]

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Sun, 14. Jul 19, 02:36

I didn't wrote properly my previous message.

Your resolution is fine, the monitor refresh rate is set to 59hz instead of 75hz in windows according to the DX diag. Go to the windows settings and change it.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sun, 14. Jul 19, 03:14

It must be a fault reporting that as clearly here its set to 75hz in windows, im well versed in my pc im good at diagnosing issues so these things were checked well early but thanks for trying. :)
[ external image ]

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Wed, 17. Jul 19, 01:19

There are new drivers 19.7.2 fixing a lot of general bugs. Have you tried them?

I do use Vega 64 on a 2560x1440 144hz monitor, and true 19.6.x were bad drivers but 19.7.x are far better to me also.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”