Split from 'Player-owned ships with many queued orders murder map framerate' thread

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

cubebix9000
x4

Split from 'Player-owned ships with many queued orders murder map framerate' thread

Post by cubebix9000 » Tue, 18. Jun 19, 14:04

Well its one of the first things i learnt when learning C# not to call updates per frame for things that do not need it xD. So i doubt that is the issue :) i hope so :P and if it is well, help us all xD.

I suggest putting the game aside for now and taking a break from it and come back to check on it when it reaches 3.0+ :)

steve_v
x4

Re: Player-owned ships with many queued orders murder map framerate

Post by steve_v » Wed, 19. Jun 19, 07:34

cubebix9000 wrote:
Tue, 18. Jun 19, 14:04
Well its one of the first things i learnt when learning C# not to call updates per frame for things that do not need it xD. So i doubt that is the issue :)
Likewise (though I'm a stubborn old C/C++ goat, so I do my own memory management), but the horrendous impact that queued orders for a single ship have on map framerate just cannot be explained by the draw calls for those little arrows... Either the UI is incurring ridiculous overhead when it is logging those errors or there is something fundamentally wrong with the way the map system and/or the UI works.
Orders 20 deep in the queue aren't going to change in the next 10 seconds, so that data will be cached, right? Right? So why is it so slow?
cubebix9000 wrote:
Tue, 18. Jun 19, 14:04
I suggest putting the game aside for now and taking a break from it and come back to check on it when it reaches 3.0+ :)
I'm generally okay with the game as it is, though of course I do have hopes for 3.0.
I say generally in that most of the issues I have encountered are scripting and AI behaviour problems, which should be fairly easy to tweak in the future. I expect this for an in-development game, especially one with the number of moving parts X4 has.
What I don't expect is the UI breaking horribly when you use a basic feature of the game. That just smacks of clay-feet and makes me wonder what other horrors lurk in the foundations.

It's the core UI FFS, this sort of thing should be working properly in beta, not scheduled for a bolt-on kludge in version 3.x.

Ed. Before somebody chimes in with the usual party-line: Yes, I know, the map does lots of stuff, one can't expect 60FPS all the time, etc. etc.
That's not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is the UI still being a garbage fire at v. 2.50.

cubebix9000
x4

Post by cubebix9000 » Fri, 21. Jun 19, 07:52

I believe that Egosoft will get around to performance, bug squashing and QOL improvements once they have implemented their intended features and i believe and hopefully i am correct that alot of these ships are simply place holders cause they are really bad compared to rebirth, and lets not forget this is a new game engine for egosoft that they spent along time making and im sure they will work out the quirks soon enough ^^ they are after all a small team.

im sure 3.0 will be a massive changelog so lets look forward to that.

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Fri, 21. Jun 19, 15:05

cubebix9000 wrote:
Fri, 21. Jun 19, 07:52
hopefully i am correct that alot of these ships are simply place holders cause they are really bad compared to rebirth
Indeed, though I won't compare anything to rebirth as that game has no place in the X series IMO.
Personally, I think far too much was sacrificed for the plug-in modules concept. I'd honestly take the ship models and variety from X3 over being able to target subsystems and see the shield emitters on the outside of my ships.
The scrapping of the M1-5 ship classifications for this dumbed-down S-XL thing is a step backwards as well - they are ships, not t-shirts. :roll:
cubebix9000 wrote:
lets not forget this is a new game engine for egosoft that they spent along time making and im sure they will work out the quirks soon enough ^^ they are after all a small team.
As far as I can tell X4 is based on the same engine as rebirth, so Egosoft had the entire product life-cycle of that game to sort out basic features... like the UI.
Being a small team isn't an excuse for buggy post-beta releases either, I've seen one-man game studios release effectively bug-free on day one.
cubebix9000 wrote:
im sure 3.0 will be a massive changelog so lets look forward to that.
I'm sure it will be, and I am looking forward to it.
My progblem is that with the kind of issues we're seeing and the size of the recent changelogs, this should be version 0.85b4 we're waiting for, not 3.0. I paid AAA price for this game a year after release, yet the UI is still broken and the player randomly falls through the floor.
Is this customers-as-QA-testers or what? Are we going to have to wait 10 years for game-crippling performance problems to be fixed like we did with X3? Do we just give up waiting and rely on modders to fix the autopillock, again?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 21. Jun 19, 15:40

This is the Technical Support forum where we address one specific issue per thread and not have a general state-of-the-game discussion which more belongs in the main forum, thanks.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”