Linux Support (Beta)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

remisc
x4

Re: Linux Support (Beta)

Post by remisc » Thu, 27. Jul 23, 00:13

I dug a bit deeper,

But first off I'd like to correct one of my previous statements:
What I wrote in my previous post about fog not being gone with the mod is incorrect - the mod just
doesn't change sectors from Kingdom End expansion (sanctuary of darkness, kingdom end).
I thought it it was affecting because when entering those sectors and was looking at the fog I still had good performance.
Normally the mod removes fog completely.

Going back the more reproducible and controlled environment:
I checked with the whole mod being:

Code: Select all

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<diff>
  <replace sel="/regions/region[@name='region_cluster_31_sector_001']/fields/volumetricfog/@densityfactor">0</replace>
</diff>
This is only a line changing volumetric fog field in Heretic's End.

I played with the densityfactor and it does look like the performance is scaling with this factor fairly well.
going from 0 to 0.5 had following performance (volumetric fog in the graphics options set to "off"):

(screenshots below)

densityfactor | fps
--------------+-----
0.0           | 82
0.1           | 80
0.2           | 70
0.3           | 60
0.4           | 52
0.5           | 46
Additionally volmetric fog setting in the graphics options has further impact:
for example for densifyfactor of 0.4:

(screenshots below)

volumetric fog setting |
(densityfactor==0.4)   | fps
-----------------------+-----
off                    | 52
low                    | 51
medium                 | 49
higigh                 | 40

I also checked how Sancuary of darkness bodes with densityfactor set to 0 instead of its normal 0.0025
and now I see why the "off" setting does not disable the fog completely. It looks like something went wrong.

But at the same time it's curious that I can still get good performance in Heretic's End just by decreasing the densityfactor from defauly 0.5 to 0.2,
still get 60 fps and retain the fog.

It seems like densityfactor is not really the only/main factor because for example in the mentioned Sancuary of darkness it's set to 0.0025
and going to 0 does improve performance significanly (but engulfs everything in ugly, flat, brown fog instead of a red one)

I am not that familiar with the vulkan stack but,
all this smells even more like this may be a driver/shader problem maybe the compiler is handling the shader IR inefficiently or it's just plain
written in such a way that for example AMD shader stack handles it worse then nvidia. (assuming of course that people with nvidia GPUs don't see such drastic slowdowns)

Next thing I guessed to look at was to check if there was one point in the pipeline that stands out, and it seems there is.

In the Radeon GPU profiler there appears to be one fragment shader
that takes all the time not seen with factor set to 0 and scales to weirdly large amount of shaded pixels:
- nothing for factor of 0
- 354 milion for factor of 0.5
- 584 milion for factor of 0.8

Other shaders seem to operate on much more sane amount ranging up to 14 milion pixels

Profile files (profiling with Radeon GPU Profiler seems to require usage of amdvlk userspace vulkan driver instead of mesa/radv):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I guess the next thing will be to look at that shader code (which I can decompile via renderdoc). Maybe try something like live patch if that's possible

Screenshots when changing just the densityfactor:
0: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view ... MxMS5mCvCx
0.1: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view ... keRL83Yqw_
0.2: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view ... 7BR1xaUPs1
0.3: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view ... oFv37xCzVn
0.4: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view ... bKBtMR85vX
0.5: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view ... Mq6GxCP8Fv

Screenshots when changing just the volumetric fog setting in the graphics options while having densityfactor set to 0.4:

off: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view ... cQ4s_ozGGh
low: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view ... iGGcc-B7Mv
medium: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view ... tYc4c8FOat
high: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view ... btYCsEJkSJ
Last edited by remisc on Sun, 30. Jul 23, 01:04, edited 6 times in total.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 27. Jul 23, 09:39

Just a side-note to your investigations: with the latest AMD drivers and game version, volumetric fog is actually disabled, regardless of your in-game graphics settings, because of this issue.

remisc
x4

Post by remisc » Thu, 27. Jul 23, 09:50

CBJ wrote:
Thu, 27. Jul 23, 09:39
Just a side-note to your investigations: with the latest AMD drivers and game version, volumetric fog is actually disabled, regardless of your in-game graphics settings, because of this issue.
Good to know, but that seems like a Windows-only driver problem.
Also: what do you mean by latest version? 6.10 or 6.20 beta ?

Now I am tempted to install windows on a spare ssd and check how it behaves, + I would be able to check if the shader in question also looks smilar on the profile
Last edited by remisc on Thu, 27. Jul 23, 09:52, edited 2 times in total.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 27. Jul 23, 09:51

remisc wrote:
Thu, 27. Jul 23, 09:50
Also: what do you mean by latest version? 6.10 or 6.20 beta ?
Both. See the release notes, but if you're on GOG bear in mind that 6.10 HF1 may not arrive for a day or two due to the manual setup required at their end. And the workaround most likely affects Linux too.

remisc
x4

Post by remisc » Thu, 27. Jul 23, 10:07

ok, I see it: viewtopic.php?p=4922346#p5193257

And yes, I am on bare GOG 6.10 , and don't see anything newer available for download there.

Although I wonder how disabling volumetric fog completely will look like when done properly.
Sanctuary of Darkness with volumetric fog densityfactor set to 0 changes it into brown mess.

Edit:
this is what densityfactor of 0 instead of default 0.0025 does there:
0.0025: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view ... A9hQFS2vxA
0: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view ... mCW84qWPlv

some fog i still there - probably governed by the "nebula" fields. Very curious how it looks like after a hotfix.
Will try to maybe look into the GOG galaxy to check

remisc
x4

Post by remisc » Thu, 27. Jul 23, 10:46

nevermind, that beta is only available on steam version on linux:
Note: This beta version is available for Windows (Steam and GOG Galaxy) and Linux (Steam only). It is NOT available for players using GeForce NOW.
So I'll have to wait or temporarily install windows for testing.

remisc
x4

Post by remisc » Fri, 28. Jul 23, 01:09

Modifying shaders isn't that hard. they are actually available as source, not as precompiled spirv in the .cat files.
The problematic one is

06.cat/shadergl/shaders/volume_dist.f
and can be replaced fairly easily.

For now I see that those hundredes of millions of shaded pixels I mentioned are a result of calling it a lot of times. (vkCmdDrawIndexed with counts scaling with densityfactor and other fields)
As a reference in Heretic's End with default settings I see that shader taking about ~11.3 ms / frame
and after modifying it to literally do just

void main()
{
	OUT_Color = vec4(0, 0, 0, 0);
 	return;
 }

it still takes about 2.3ms just to go though all those wavefronts.

For now I can't see a way to change the amount of calls but I guess I can try to optimize the shit out this one shader.

remisc
x4

Post by remisc » Sat, 29. Jul 23, 16:46

Doesn't seem like ther's much I can do in that shader. After cleaning the dead code it's clear that the thing is very simple, beyond my ability to improve anything that the compiler should already be able to do.

The amount of pixels to shade is simply too big and based on the scene, view-port, the configured parameters, etc..
Edit: it's also based on the sector/region other parameters: like <boundary> (seems to change the fog reach) or <resources> (adding more resource-related fogs)

So it's back to the parameters of the <volumetricfog>.
After staring at this fog for hours I now know that I can get a lot of performance with tweaks to the multiplier, densityfactor, size and noise
while still keeping the fog looking very similar.
But while I can sort-of gauge the performance of a fog based just on the parameters I still need to test in-game.
Flight school sector is good for that: no cpu bottleneck on the galaxy simulation and I can simply copy the fog from other sectors to it. (also: it loads a lot faster)
If only I could change the fog in game without constant restarts....

For now I can't bring myself to install windows so until 6.10 HF1 gets on GOG this transitions into more of a modding than tech support.
I'll open a separate topic in that section when I have some concrete tweaked parameters to share and go back here after the update hits
or I get motivated to check windows.
Last edited by remisc on Mon, 31. Jul 23, 00:21, edited 3 times in total.

remisc
x4

Post by remisc » Sun, 30. Jul 23, 00:33

I managed to convince myself to install and test this on windows and boy, was I overestimating the chances of having better experience there:
On a clean win 10 install with no background updates/etc I am getting even worse performance than on linux.
And 6.10 HF1 does not help either on the performance front (at least not noticeably)

So I guess at this point this is no longer a Linux issue. It's just a general game issue (or AMD issue, but I don't have an nvidia GPU to test).
All further efforts on my side will probably be mods so as I mentioned I'll move to a separate thread in that section.

But just to summarize all relevant info if any dev wanted to look at it without reading all my comments (which include a lot of fog modding mentions):

- initial post with relevant tech support template filled: viewtopic.php?f=180&t=414524&start=720#p5197757
- I though non-volumetric fog was causing slowdowns - in actuality volumetric fog is still enabled even when it's turned to "off" in the graphics option (or on low preset)
- Volumetric fog being present even on "off" preset seems intentional even if it's counterintuitive. I see that with it forced off with mods some sectors look just plain wrong (Sanctuary of Darkness being a prime example)
- The performance impact is so large that I assumed it was a buggy driver but apparently the same thing can be observed on both windows and linux
- I found it has major performance impact after trying out the no-fog mod (with which I could easily double the performance)
- The performance when looking at fog in heretic's end looks as follows:

gpu settings    |   windows             | linux 
No AA           |   6.10 (506382)       | 6.10 (506382)
no upscale      |   adrenaline 23.7.2   | kernel 6.4.4
3840x2160       |                       | amdvlk vulkan userspace driver
----------------+-----------------------+---------------------------------
low             | 34                    | 41
medium          | 34                    | 39
high            | 19                    | 26
ultra           | 16                    | 20

notes:
- on windows 6.10 HF1 has similar performance (on both adrenaline 23.7.1 and 23.7.2)
- on linux mesa/radv vulkan userspace driver shows similar performance
  (it is marginally faster but it's not noticeable in this case, used amdvlk
  because of radeon gpu profiler)
- it seems that even though I was running the same version, same save file and didn't move the camera
  the viewport / asteroid field differs between linux/windows - this may explain performance difference
  to some extent since volumetric fog shader is sensitive to such changes. but I compensate for that.
- in the game files this is the shader in question: 06.cat/shadergl/shaders/volume_dist.f
I tracked it down with radeon profiler and renderdoc
- Here you can see just how much time in the frame just this one volumetric fog shader takes
(this is on windows low preset where volumetric fog is set off, higher settings look worse):

(note to the mod: sorry for posting a posting bigger images here before, will try to limit to 640x480 @ 100kb from now on)

All the resources:
- save game
- screenshots
- radeon gpu profiles on both windows and linux on all setting presets
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Terre on Sun, 30. Jul 23, 06:20, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now linked

remisc
x4

Post by remisc » Sun, 6. Aug 23, 22:29

I finished the first version of my mod attempting to optimize the fog: viewtopic.php?f=181&t=456998
While I worked on it I found another potential perfomrance pain point on the fog-front:

There is some fog spawned as a nebula for resouce gases (fogpattern_v2_macro and fogpattern_v3_macro)
v3 is used pretty much in only one sector but v2 is used consistently and DLC sectors feature up to 3 such nebulas.
Those cause significant slowdowns.
See the notes in the readme table for info where the impact appears the biggest: https://github.com/remi-sc/x4-extensions

This seems a bit different issue then the previous one so I wanted to post it here just in case anyone's interested.
I say this because when there are 3 v2 macro nebulas in the region the gpu profile looks very different from the giant single shader I reported previously.
It rather looks like there are additional 3 sets of few dozen shader calls each. (but again - summing up to more time than the whole rest of the frame takes. At least in some regions)

sumners
x4

Post by sumners » Sun, 20. Aug 23, 20:52

xrogaan wrote:
Wed, 31. May 23, 01:02
Yes, it looks like a steam UI bug. I experience the same behavior. Sound issue may be due to your hardware or pipewire configuration.
Was the issue with audio ever confirmed or fixed? My install game audio just stopped working. It has been working fine for years but just stopped. Any idea what fixed the problem?

kerberizer
x4

Post by kerberizer » Sat, 26. Aug 23, 15:13

sumners wrote:
Sun, 20. Aug 23, 20:52
Was the issue with audio ever confirmed or fixed? My install game audio just stopped working. It has been working fine for years but just stopped. Any idea what fixed the problem?
Not sure if it is the same problem as yours, but after the recent upgrade to pipewire 0.3.78 (or perhaps something connected to it) I lost all audio in the game, with the sound configuration showing only "Default system device" and "Default JACK device". Using the system libopenal.so.1 brought back the correct devices, the intro sound and some of the other sounds, but only some (e.g. only the music and sounds of the oldest, "X4: Foundations", main menu screen would work).

In the end, changing the default OpenAL device to PulseAudio worked for me. Easiest with "ALSOFT_DRIVERS=pulse %command%" in X4 launch options in Steam.

djoser1
x3tc

Post by djoser1 » Sun, 1. Oct 23, 16:37

djoser1 wrote:
Fri, 5. Apr 19, 20:20
Hello everybody!

At first i'd like to thank Egosoft for the linux version of X4. I wish more game developers would publish linux versions of their games...

I do have a rather annoying problem with my joystick though.
I followed the instructions on the first post and also tried mentioned options on several (later) posts, but with only limited success.
The joystick is a Saitek Cyborg 3D USB and i'm running Ubuntu 18.04.
The problem is that X4 doesn't seem to recognise the full range of the joysticks axis. I cant steer to the right or down directions. Also the Z-axis is limited to center and left direction, no right direction possible.

I tried both forcing off and using Steam controller configurations. On Ubuntu itself (jstest) the stick works great with full range.

Does anyone has any further advice or even a ready profile for this stick?

I hope i could make myself understandable, since i'm not a native english speaker.

Thanks and regards,
djoser1
Hello everybody,

my problem from a long time ago still persists.
The only thing that changed is my OS. I´m running opensuse Leap 15.5 now.
Still same problem. No steering right or down.

X4: Version 6.2 with all DLCs (nonsteam exe), analogue steering configurated, Gamepad-Mode is off
Joystick: Saitek Cyborg 3D USB

I tried the nonsteam exe to make sure that the steam client is not the problem. But it´s always the same. With or without Steam.
Any hints?

Thanks and regards,
djoser1

sirprosik
x4

Post by sirprosik » Sat, 7. Oct 23, 07:14

Is that stick native USB or the one with a game port which needs a usb dongle?
Reason I ask is that I have a Sidewinder 3d pro which requires a mod board to work even with
a usb adapter because of how the stick was programmed back then.

See here https://github.com/Kreeblah/SidewinderToUSBV2

djoser1
x3tc

Post by djoser1 » Sun, 8. Oct 23, 22:19

This stick is native USB. No dongle required.

sirprosik
x4

Post by sirprosik » Mon, 9. Oct 23, 16:24

Does the stick respond properly in Windows control panel? If so then it might be an issue with SDL similar to Logitech stick issues maybe.

djoser1
x3tc

Post by djoser1 » Mon, 9. Oct 23, 20:51

Yes, the stick works perfectly in Windows and the Windows Version of X4.

Even in the Linux control panel the stick is fully functional.
The problems are definitly X4 Linux Version related.

beko
x4

Post by beko » Thu, 12. Oct 23, 12:29

djoser1 wrote:
Sun, 1. Oct 23, 16:37
The problem is that X4 doesn't seem to recognise the full range of the joysticks axis
Smells like "Runs as gamepad" or something like this to me.

Dunno what X4 | SDL prefers (depends on defaults and env variables). There's /dev/input/jsX and /dev/input/eventX (evdev).

So mebbe do a low level check on the JS vs the EVDEV device. `evtest` or `sdl2-jstest` for evdev and `sdl-jstest` (or `jstest`) for JS come to mind.

Keep in mind that both may have an individual deadzone set as well. Setting one does not automatically apply to the the other sub system.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Gamepad has a shiton of tips and tricks on the topic. Good luck!

Lazzu

Post by Lazzu » Tue, 5. Dec 23, 19:25

Hello!

I don't know if anyone has reported this yet, I didn't go through all the pages.

I bought the game recently and once trying it out I struck a minor problem right from the start in the main menu. I can not click anything on the screen. The keyboard works and I'm able to navigate with it, but I'm not able to use my mouse. BUT if when I launch the game in my secondary monitor the mouse works and I can click on things. X4 is not the only game I have had this issue with.

I suspect this is because of how my screens are positioned. My main monitor is my main gaming monitor with high refresh rate and it has been configured to be positioned on the right of my secondary monitor this way:

Secondary monitor on the left:
Width: 3840
Height: 2160
X-position: 0

Main monitor on the right:
Width: 2560
Height: 1440
X-position: 3840 (because it's to the right of the secondary monitor)

I'm using Radeon 7900 XTX with the open source drivers if that matters here.

So I assume some games will assume mouse coordinates to start from position 0 if they are relative to the screen instead of relative to the window.

Anyway, I'm able to play on my secondary monitor with 60hz so it's not a really big of a deal for me personally. The extra refresh rate would just be a nice bonus to the visual quality of the game.

Cheers!

mickkael
x4

Post by mickkael » Fri, 29. Dec 23, 09:38

Hello,

The games keeps crashing, but after a long time (maybe 1 hour, and within 5-10 min after the relaunch)
I'm using Steam. native. Ubuntu 22.04. Geforce 1650 Super.
X4 version 6.2, keyboard and mouse only. All dlc but Boron.
Tried very low or very high graphics settings, same.
Any clue ?

$ uname -a
Linux hostname 6.2.0-39-generic #40~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu Nov 16 10:53:04 UTC 2 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  535.129.03  Thu Oct 19 18:56:32 UTC 2023
GCC version:  
Syslog:

Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname kernel: [ 8944.617052] traps: Pathing Manager[25026] general protection fault ip:17fb925 sp:7fcb04bf65b0 error:0 in X4[400000+3512000]
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[24978]: /media/username/btrfsDisk/Steam/steamapps/common/X4 Foundations/testandlaunch: line 14: 24981 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) ./X4 "$@" 2>&1
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[11024]: Game 392160 created interface STEAMAPPS_INTERFACE_VERSION008 /
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[11024]: Game 392160 created interface STEAMREMOTESTORAGE_INTERFACE_VERSION016 /
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[11024]: Game 392160 created interface STEAMUGC_INTERFACE_VERSION016 /
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[11024]: Game 392160 created interface STEAMUSERSTATS_INTERFACE_VERSION012 /
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[11024]: Game 392160 created interface SteamController008 /
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[11024]: Game 392160 created interface SteamFriends017 /
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[11024]: Game 392160 created interface SteamInput006 /
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[11024]: Game 392160 created interface SteamUser021 /
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[11024]: Game 392160 created interface SteamUser021 / User
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[11024]: Game 392160 created interface SteamUtils010 /
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[11024]: Game 392160 method call count for IClientUGC::SetReturnLongDescription : 1
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[11024]: Game 392160 method call count for IClientUGC::ReleaseQueryUGCRequest : 1
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[11024]: Game 392160 method call count for IClientUGC::SendQueryUGCRequest : 1
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[11024]: Game 392160 method call count for IClientUGC::CreateQueryUserUGCRequest : 1
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[11024]: Game 392160 method call count for IClientUserStats::GetAchievement : 1
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[11024]: Game 392160 method call count for IClientUserStats::GetStat : 1
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[11024]: Game 392160 method call count for IClientUserStats::GetStat : 19
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[11024]: Game 392160 method call count for IClientUserStats::RequestCurrentStats : 1
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[11024]: Game 392160 method call count for IClientAppManager::BIsDlcEnabled : 5
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[11024]: Game 392160 method call count for IClientUtils::RecordSteamInterfaceCreation : 13
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[11024]: Game 392160 method call count for IClientUtils::GetAPICallResult : 1
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[11024]: Game 392160 method call count for IClientUtils::GetAppID : 16
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[11024]: Game 392160 method call count for IClientUser::BIsSubscribedApp : 5
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[11024]: Game 392160 method call count for IClientUser::GetSteamID : 3
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[11024]: Game 392160 method call count for IClientUser::BLoggedOn : 1
Dec 29 16:17:58 hostname steam.desktop[11024]: Uploaded AppInterfaceStats to Steam
dmesg:

[ 8944.617052] traps: Pathing Manager[25026] general protection fault ip:17fb925 sp:7fcb04bf65b0 error:0 in X4[400000+3512000]

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”