Shuffle Station

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Kintanar
x4

Shuffle Station

Post by Kintanar » Tue, 12. Feb 19, 00:35

Hi!

When i builded a station i was used to throw in the build plan (literally just drag and drop the modules) the production and storage modules and then using the shuffle button to auto arrange the station, until the design like me, then i added the docks, defense, etc. But now I am trying to expand my station to make a megacomplex with around 69 production modules and 11 L habitations, so 70 in total, and that not counting the storage and defense modules, i will add docks, storage and defense at the end, but when i try to use the shuffle button nothing happend, is not working with that amount of modules.

The weird thing is that i have a manually made mega station, with not that amount of production modules but with a lot more connectors, defense and storage modules (excessive storage modules), a lot more than 70, and the shuffle works smoothly with it. I noticed that the shuffle works even without adding connectors because the shuffle add them as needed on its own, so i decided to try to make a megacomplex and save the time and effort of adding all the connectors and arrange the station using the shuffle, but is not working. My goal was to arrange all the production module using just the strictly necessary connectors with the help of the shuffle.

Seems there is a limit amount of production modules for the shuffle functionality to work.

I would like to ask to devs to confirm if there is a limit or I am having a bug or issue with the shuffle functionality.

Many thanks in advance.

Belgarath
x4

Re: Shuffle Station

Post by Belgarath » Tue, 12. Feb 19, 00:48

I've tried several times to use the shuffle button on stations of different module amounts and it has never worked for me. I gave up on it.
The new PC I just built for myself:
i5-13600k, 32GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3060 12GB
It'll do until I can upgrade the graphics card.

Endeavour79
x4

Post by Endeavour79 » Tue, 12. Feb 19, 04:59

I love the shuffle functionality as I can't be bothered with building aesthetically nice looking complexes.
BUT, you're right...there is a limit in how many modules it supports. I never tested out the exact limit. But yes, it will fail (do nothing) when you're using a larger number of modules. And, it never works at the player HQ, only newly built stations.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 12. Feb 19, 11:43

From the devs. The limitation on 'shuffle' is the time it assesses it would take to compute the change and so it can vary by type and complexity of complex (and possibly with the gaming system power too). The PHQ is excluded by intent.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Endeavour79
x4

Post by Endeavour79 » Tue, 12. Feb 19, 12:01

Thanks for the update!!
Can we get an option/toggle for that? I would happily wait say 30sec for a large station plan.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 12. Feb 19, 13:12

I can hear CBJ's mutterings about 'blasted options' playing in my head right now! :D

It already has an option of sorts - use it, or not. I suspect that the devs think that running it with overload conditions beyond a point may make the game or all the other things still going on in the game's universe potentially unstable and liable to issues.

Stu Austin
x4

Post by Stu Austin » Tue, 12. Feb 19, 20:33

Hello all. Quick question.
When using the shuffle on an already built station, do you have to remove all of your docked ships from it first? Last night I lost all of my ships that was docked there.
stu
Transcend Mod Team - AP, TC, Reunion

Endeavour79
x4

Post by Endeavour79 » Wed, 13. Feb 19, 04:47

Yes, nothing should be docked. If your player ship is docked on landing pad rebuild, the game CTD.

Kintanar
x4

Post by Kintanar » Wed, 13. Feb 19, 19:06

Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 12. Feb 19, 11:43
From the devs. The limitation on 'shuffle' is the time it assesses it would take to compute the change and so it can vary by type and complexity of complex (and possibly with the gaming system power too). The PHQ is excluded by intent.
Many thanks for the answer and clarification! Is very appreciated!

So, the limitation is about the time to compute the connections, and i guess not only connections but size and shape of each module. I was thinking that this should be the problem.

I was experimenting adding one by one each type of module, shuffle, works?=yes/no, keep or remove accordingly, and I found that shuffle fails when more than one of the following modules are added:

Hull parts
Plasma conductor
Refined metal
Spaceweed
Swamp plant
Shield components
Turret components
Weapon components

All x2

And worked with all the rest of the production modules in amounts that varys from 1 to 3 mostly, and some even 4 and 5 per module, habitation where 11 argon L ones, even with 13 L teladi storage modules added. (no docks or defense),

At the end i removed all this modules and the shuffle worked, i think this modules could vary for each station design, but this ones were preventing the changes this time, so i added them after my station was shuffled.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 13. Feb 19, 19:24

That's a useful analysis.

Out of interest, do those *second* modules by type prevent shuffle use even with a relatively small/basic complex? It may be very handy, for now at least, for players to know what to avoid (and when) if intending to use shuffle under various circumstances, and so what must always be added and aligned manually later on as the complex design grows. Thanks for this.

Kintanar
x4

Post by Kintanar » Wed, 13. Feb 19, 23:44

Alan Phipps wrote:
Wed, 13. Feb 19, 19:24
That's a useful analysis.

Out of interest, do those *second* modules by type prevent shuffle use even with a relatively small/basic complex? It may be very handy, for now at least, for players to know what to avoid (and when) if intending to use shuffle under various circumstances, and so what must always be added and aligned manually later on as the complex design grows. Thanks for this.
I will try that!

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”