Split from 'Linux Support (Beta)'

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

neare
x4

Split from 'Linux Support (Beta)'

Post by neare » Sat, 25. May 19, 22:53

CBJ wrote:
Sat, 25. May 19, 16:30
Let's not start the Steam discussion all over again. If you don't want to use Steam then that's your choice, and the Linux version will be available on GOG when 2.50 is released, which is not far away now.
That's good news. I'm in the same boat. I could be upset until today that I didn't buy it on steam.
On Steam it is certainly drm free as well as the past X games?! Can you play the game under linux without steam running?
It would be really nice if Egosoft, as in the past, offers a possibility for buyers to provide the exe file for both, windows and linux.

Then I could make my Gog windows version into linux version.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Linux Support (Beta)

Post by radcapricorn » Sat, 25. May 19, 23:32

No, it is not drm-free on Steam. At least, not yet. And by the way, Egosoft never released the no-steam binary for Linux version of Rebirth either, because "no one asked for it" :rant:

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Sun, 26. May 19, 03:17

GOG is a drm as well, not sure why people say it's not. Look at the files they attach to each app you install through it. Also has 20x the trackers and logging of information than Steam. I just say, use what you want, don't complain when you won't for false reasons.

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Sun, 26. May 19, 08:22

Rastuasi wrote:
Sat, 25. May 19, 14:54
They're the same thing, only GOG has no proof of security and skill.
There are some very important differences between the two: GOG provides direct-download DRM-free packages which do not require the use of a special client and can be archived locally. Steam requires you to run the steam client whenever you play the game, and does not indicate the DRM status of their titles at all. A great many games use steam as DRM.
Rastuasi wrote:
Sat, 25. May 19, 14:54
Just say you don't want to install steam. I for one, don't trust GOG, all their certificates are expired.
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I said. As for certificates, I have no idea what you're talking about. GOG.com's certs check out just fine.

CBJ wrote:
Sat, 25. May 19, 16:30
the Linux version will be available on GOG when 2.50 is released, which is not far away now.
Excellent. I'll be buying the game as soon as I see the linux port there. :D

neare wrote:
Sat, 25. May 19, 22:53
Can you play the game under linux without steam running?
Apparently not, which is my point.

neare wrote:
Sat, 25. May 19, 22:53
It would be really nice if Egosoft, as in the past, offers a possibility for buyers to provide the exe file for both, windows and linux.
Indeed it would. I really don't see what's wrong with simply providing the linux binaries somewhere around here. They're no use without buying the full game, and even if they were, just gate the download behind the forum's "register game" function.

radcapricorn wrote:
Sat, 25. May 19, 23:32
Egosoft never released the no-steam binary for Linux version of Rebirth
Perhaps not, but I can (and did) just go buy it on GOG, and play it on linux without steam or any other third-party client installed. That's effectively the same thing as far as I am concerned.

Rastuasi wrote:
Sun, 26. May 19, 03:17
GOG is a drm as well, not sure why people say it's not. Look at the files they attach to each app you install through it. Also has 20x the trackers and logging of information than Steam.
That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard all week. GOG galaxy might have tracking, but you're not forced to use it - unlike the steam client. As for DRM in the games themselves, I own ~100 games on GOG, and there's no sign of DRM or tracking in any of them. I know this because GNU/Linux gives us easy(ish) methods to capture an applications system calls and network traffic.

If you're going to make such claims, please provide some evidence to back them up. I eagerly await your list of filenames involved and the servers reported to.

---
That's my rant done, I'll shut up now. All I really wanted to hear was the news CBJ posted. Thanks again for that.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Split from 'Linux Support (Beta)'

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 26. May 19, 11:03

... and despite CBJ's caution, onwards went the DRM/Steam/tracking debate. :roll:
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”