Travel Mode Stopped Working - Details (SOLVED)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

SamuraiProgrammer
x4

Travel Mode Stopped Working - Details (SOLVED)

Post by SamuraiProgrammer » Sat, 1. Dec 18, 19:31

Good Day and thank you for a great game (except for a few small problems as here)...

I will give you as much information as I can.

After completing a mission to find some medical supplies, I was offered a promotion and given a path to follow to receive it.

I know that I turned on Autopilot. I also feel that something odd happened when going through a highway gate or a jump gate. I apologize for not remembering which. If pressed, I would say it was a jump gate. After that, I am exhibiting the following symptoms:

1) Travel mode does not appear to do anything (mostly, more about that later)

2) Boost (using the tab key) does increase my speed, but when I release the tab key, my throttle goes back to zero. The speed slows down as before, but the desired speed is set to zero. I don't remember it being this way before.

3) My ship suddenly acts as if it has an inertia problem. At high speeds, it takes much longer to slow down. At low speeds, it is very very difficult to adjust the speed. For example, when exiting a highway, it may take me 17KM to slow down and that only if I press the backspace key to set throttle to zero. Also, when trying to dock, even with the slightest increase above zero on the throttle, the ship continues to accelerate. In order to successfully dock, I had to make a small adjustment, hit backspace, and adjust again. I did not have this problem before. (BTW, kudos on the docking stations - they are lovely and a great concept!)

More about travel mode...

I am traveling toward a jump gate that is some 60KM away. I am traveling at 181mps. I can count about 5 seconds between the change in distance to my target so that all adds up.

If I put the ship into travel mode (Shift+1), I get the screen lighting up as before and the desired speed indicator moves past the max normal speed, but the actual speed indicator does not move off of 181... until I turn off travel mode (Shift+1) at which time it climbs for a second or two and then goes back to the base of 181 or 182. I thought maybe the speed indicator is not working so I put the ship into travel mode and watched the distance to my target. It appears that I am, in fact, only going 181mps. When I turn off travel mode, the speed climbs and goes back. The longer I leave travel mode on, the further it climbs (to a point) before coming back down.

I have closed and restarted the program and it still applies to that save game.

The other save game I have for this playthrough exhibits the same behavior.

Starting a new game works correctly.

EDIT - SOLUTION

It would appear that I had Flight Assist turned off. Is that working as intended?

DocAce
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Travel Mode Stopped Working - Details (SOLVED)

Post by DocAce » Tue, 22. Jan 19, 15:47

That is indeed working correctly. The intention is to allow you to look around while you're moving quickly, maybe even do a long-range scan or two, without losing a lot of speed. Continuing to increase the travel speed with flight assist disabled wouldn't only be a bit problematic on the input side, it would also break the illusion a bit if you're accelerating in a direction your main engines aren't facing!

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”