TAA in beta?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Blitz4
x4

TAA in beta?

Post by Blitz4 » Sat, 13. Apr 24, 09:20

Are you supposed to use TAA with FSR?
aren't they two conflicting techs and could make image quality worse?
how does the performance & quality of TAA compare to FXAA Low + FSR Quality?

alt3rn1ty
x4

Re: TAA in beta?

Post by alt3rn1ty » Sat, 13. Apr 24, 09:53

Blitz4 wrote:
Sat, 13. Apr 24, 09:20
how does the performance & quality of TAA compare to FXAA Low + FSR Quality?
I'm using FXAA Medium + FSR Quality, I tried TAA for a little while with my eyesight it was a bit better than FXAA but performance was impacted more.
So I'm sticking with FXAA Medium, it may be slightly blurry but I much prefer that to any loss in performance.
Depends on your machine and how much load on it your game is doing. Try it, it cant do any harm. :)
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sat, 13. Apr 24, 10:12

Pretty sure fsr isn't suppose to work with fxaa. And tas is usually required for fsr for best image quality according to AMD. So id recommend fsr and taa together for best image quality.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Sat, 13. Apr 24, 12:15

Skeeter wrote:
Sat, 13. Apr 24, 10:12
Pretty sure fsr isn't suppose to work with fxaa.
From a Digital Foundry interview with the developers of FSR ..
"Digital Foundry: It's recommended to apply FSR to an anti-aliased image, but most games have various forms of anti-aliasing to choose from. Of course, results may vary on a game-by-game basis, but are there any general recommendations you can provide to users on which AA solution works best with FSR?"

"FSR works well with most forms of AA we've tried: MSAA, TAA, FXAA etc. However, the quality of the underlying AA implementation is critical to the final upscaling quality produced by FSR. For example, AA techniques that don't include additional sample information (either via straight multisampling or leveraging previous jittered frames) or do so in a suboptimal manner will show limitations in FSR upscaling quality e.g., on thin features.

The best recommendation I can give for a quality FSR implementation is to ensure the underlying AA technique is also of high quality, as temporally stable as possible, and able to depict thin features in a reasonable manner."
https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundr ... -interview

Best discussion on Anti-aliasing I have seen ..
https://www.displayninja.com/best-anti-aliasing-mode/
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Blitz4
x4

Post by Blitz4 » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 10:23

alt3rn1ty wrote:
Sat, 13. Apr 24, 12:15
Skeeter wrote:
Sat, 13. Apr 24, 10:12
Pretty sure fsr isn't suppose to work with fxaa.
From a Digital Foundry interview with the developers of FSR ..
"Digital Foundry: It's recommended to apply FSR to an anti-aliased image, but most games have various forms of anti-aliasing to choose from. Of course, results may vary on a game-by-game basis, but are there any general recommendations you can provide to users on which AA solution works best with FSR?"

"FSR works well with most forms of AA we've tried: MSAA, TAA, FXAA etc. However, the quality of the underlying AA implementation is critical to the final upscaling quality produced by FSR. For example, AA techniques that don't include additional sample information (either via straight multisampling or leveraging previous jittered frames) or do so in a suboptimal manner will show limitations in FSR upscaling quality e.g., on thin features.

The best recommendation I can give for a quality FSR implementation is to ensure the underlying AA technique is also of high quality, as temporally stable as possible, and able to depict thin features in a reasonable manner."
https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundr ... -interview

Best discussion on Anti-aliasing I have seen ..
https://www.displayninja.com/best-anti-aliasing-mode/
On thing to consider that there are 4 forms of AA included with X4. You can enable 8 within the nVidia Profile Inspector for a DX9 or older game. With DX10 and Vulkan that removes the ability to select "override" or "enhance" in your GPU driver's settings. Also since the game uses Vulkan and not DirectX we can not use SpecialK with the game. It's entirely on the engine devs and whatever modding support is provided/discovered. Plus there's no framerate limiter in game so most everyone is expected to be using RTSS which does add 1 frame of input latency that'll likely make these low framerate situations that much worse.

I'm no longer playing the beta. In the latest stable version I'm using MSAA 8x and FSR Ultra Performance which barely gives me 60fps in space, but once I dock or walk around, I hit sub 30fps. I've tested all and FXAA low + FSR Performance is the minimum acceptable quality level for me with the least overhead.

How do I play? I rarely dock anymore. The effort of changing two gpu settings and waiting for that reload is not fun any longer. But I'm ignoring unique content provided by docking, so I'll likely add that via mods in the near future, such as treating my player inventory as wares and having my other ships trade that, unsure what I'd want yet. Right now for the times I do dock up, I completely disable AA and FSR and that gives me 60fps. I would prefer if there were different graphics settings that auto-switched when flying vs walking. Next level would be having this stuff dynamically switch automatically to give smooth gameplay. There's a lot that can be done. The very least could not reset your graphics settings until you select "apply" so you can make 2+ changes at a time. There's very little that we can do in the driver, but we can mod the game.

I trust these sources for how to configure nVidia Profile Inspector, defining AA, etc.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Nvidi ... _Inspector
Over 20 types of AA demonstrated
8 types of AA available in nVidia Profile Inspector for DX9 or older titles

Thought about reshade. I tested in X3 and it didn't help much, but I didn't need to use something to increase framerate. Seems someone has proven that ReShade may increase framerate. https://www.reddit.com/r/X4Foundations/ ... 4/jdd04gv/

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 13:37

Supposed to? No idea. I have been using it with FSR since the beta began though and it seems to work. Sometimes I'd get performance issues and turn it off again just in case but that never resolved any of them yet so probably not related. Image quality is visibly better to me than any but SSAA, and without the impact of using that.
***modified***

TroubledRabbit

Post by TroubledRabbit » Tue, 16. Apr 24, 20:13

the impementation is impressive - I turned it on (just for an experiment) and the impact was about 3 frames lost. Considering my hardware it is amazing.

#EDIT:

update: now after a todays' microupdate TAA actually slightly improves performance for me.
Even Lower Spec (occasional) Gamer

Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, kernel line: 5.15, X11
T14 AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650U/Renoir, 32GB

Return to “X4: Foundations”