It turns out that all it takes for a properly equipped Ody E to destroy the K is to reverse.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

flywlyx
x4

It turns out that all it takes for a properly equipped Ody E to destroy the K is to reverse.

Post by flywlyx » Tue, 26. Mar 24, 20:33

Following the evaluation of the Ody E AI performance under "low attention" conditions, :https://youtu.be/vPDS_zpwk4w
I observed that most of the time, the AI is pursued by the Xenon K due to the minimum firing range limitation, causing much of its firepower to be wasted.
Curious about its capabilities, I experimented with the same Ody E ship, maximizing its firepower by simply reversing and firing.
Surprisingly, I found that a single Ody E equipped with 3 PAR plasma weapons is entirely capable of destroying a Xenon K on its own using this tactic. https://youtu.be/9hr6OLVhWNs
Next, I'll attempt to remove the minimum firing range limitation from AI script and then compare the performance differences.
-------------

After removing the movethreshold_min and conducting some tests, I've observed that the primary issue hindering the functionality of capital ships at the moment is actually rotation in high attention.
In low-attention, ships operate as intended:https://youtu.be/ocPpSTzRfeA
However, in high-attention, ships will randomly rotate left and right and occasionally completely halt rotation. Players have to switch to low attention for them to resume rotation:https://youtu.be/_SG-iJGtuUo
Last edited by flywlyx on Wed, 3. Apr 24, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: It turns out that all it takes for a properly equipped Ody E to destroy the K is to reverse.

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 26. Mar 24, 22:19

Heh, reminds me of playing X3:TC and killing off Kha'ak destroyers using an Elephant TC fitted with Beta PPCs in the rear turret while retreating at exactly the Kha'ak top speed at just beyond Gamma Kyon range. It must have been so galling to the bugs when getting those plasma balls in the face while not being able to do anything about it. :twisted:
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

pref
x4

Re: It turns out that all it takes for a properly equipped Ody E to destroy the K is to reverse.

Post by pref » Fri, 29. Mar 24, 22:23

You can match speed while flying away from the K, turn off flight assist and rotate the ship to firing position at the desired range.
That way you have your full forward speed to utilize and not limited to a few 10m/s like with unmodded reverse thrust.

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Wed, 3. Apr 24, 22:08

Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 26. Mar 24, 22:19
Heh, reminds me of playing X3:TC and killing off Kha'ak destroyers using an Elephant TC fitted with Beta PPCs in the rear turret while retreating at exactly the Kha'ak top speed at just beyond Gamma Kyon range. It must have been so galling to the bugs when getting those plasma balls in the face while not being able to do anything about it. :twisted:
Executing hit-and-run tactics is likely the most straightforward strategy, and players should possess the capability to execute it by exerting minimal control over AI.
pref wrote:
Fri, 29. Mar 24, 22:23
You can match speed while flying away from the K, turn off flight assist and rotate the ship to firing position at the desired range.
That way you have your full forward speed to utilize and not limited to a few 10m/s like with unmodded reverse thrust.
It's not feasible to instruct the AI to execute such maneuvers in X4.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 4. Apr 24, 00:39

flywlyx wrote:
Wed, 3. Apr 24, 22:08
pref wrote:
Fri, 29. Mar 24, 22:23
It's not feasible to instruct the AI to execute such maneuvers in X4.
And why would you want to? It's much more fun and rewarding doing it yourself. :D
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Thu, 4. Apr 24, 00:55

Nanook wrote:
Thu, 4. Apr 24, 00:39
And why would you want to? It's much more fun and rewarding doing it yourself. :D
Then why do you have a fleet in X4? It's much more fun and rewarding doing it yourself. :D

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 4. Apr 24, 04:28

flywlyx wrote:
Thu, 4. Apr 24, 00:55
Nanook wrote:
Thu, 4. Apr 24, 00:39
Then why do you have a fleet in X4? It's much more fun and rewarding doing it yourself. :D
Not talking about fleet here, just one-on-one with a K or I. You're much too new to remember X2 TL vs Kha'ak Destroyer battles. :D
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

af_2017
x4

Post by af_2017 » Thu, 4. Apr 24, 05:16

flywlyx wrote:
Tue, 26. Mar 24, 20:33
reversing and firing.
That's reminded me shoot'em up games like painkiller or serious sam when instead of pushing forward and shooting your way through you actually run backward and shoot things that follow you.

Right, that might be not that we are expected from flying space ships, bright future and so on... but that's still good strategy to stay out if enemy's fire range.
X4 is not a destination. It's a journey. Unfortunately in a wrong direction.

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Thu, 4. Apr 24, 05:43

Nanook wrote:
Thu, 4. Apr 24, 04:28
Not talking about fleet here, just one-on-one with a K or I. You're much too new to remember X2 TL vs Kha'ak Destroyer battles. :D
Egosoft's limited resources prevent them from dedicating sufficient attention to AI development, resulting in persistent issues with their AI systems.
In the X series, I struggle to recall any well-crafted adversaries. Instead, it's the ship designs that leave a lasting impression on me and they are progressively improving.
af_2017 wrote:
Thu, 4. Apr 24, 05:16
That's reminded me shoot'em up games like painkiller or serious sam when instead of pushing forward and shooting your way through you actually run backward and shoot things that follow you.

Right, that might be not that we are expected from flying space ships, bright future and so on... but that's still good strategy to stay out if enemy's fire range.
This is a common strategy seen across various games. For instance, in World of Warships, battleships often avoid exposing their vulnerable sides to the enemy by opting to reverse instead of making a full turn. Similarly, in X4, capital ships adhere to this principle because turning around would expose their engines, which is disadvantageous if there's an enemy behind them.

In games like Home world 2, the Ion Cannon Frigates feature a forward-facing weapon that is similar to destroyers in X4, requiring them to reverse to maintain maximum firepower.
Players have complained about losing this capability in Home world 3.

Return to “X4: Foundations”